New Tire Confusion

Sometimes the exact same tire is sold in both H and V ratings. The V rating tire will have a lower starting tread.

So if you want longevity H will be better.
Is this generally true?

Here’s an example where the tire is Y rated and starts at 10/32”.

Even though another tire may be 10/32”, it generally will last longer than this one, due to the performance attributes, not the speed rating. Jmoymmv

IMG_8021.jpeg

Is this generally true?

Here’s an example where the tire is Y rated and starts at 10/32”.

Even though another tire may be 10/32”, it generally will last longer than this one, due to the performance attributes, not the speed rating. Jmoymmv

It is true when you compare the same tire. Like for my car I can buy a H or V rated Pirelli P7.

When you compare different tires then it may not be true because depth is not the only difference.

It is true when you compare the same tire. Like for my car I can buy a H or V rated Pirelli P7.

When you compare different tires then it may not be true because depth is not the only difference.
How about the warranty, are the miles less? On my example they are…only 40k not 60k, and if staggered 1/2 of 40k….

Why I bring up warranty is that until 2020, never in my driving career did I use one. Now as I type, we’ve had warranty claims on 6 tires done by Costco. 4 wearout, and 2 road hazard. I’m thinking if 2 tires had different starting tread depths, but the same 60,000 warranty, nothing to worry about and still go with the higher speed rating…

Here are the specs between the Conti Pure and Contact. Pure has a thread depth of 10/32 and the Contact is 11/32.
Is there anything that stands out that is problematic going to the H rated True Contact on my V speed rated Camry?

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

Imho, H rated tires are more than adequate for most people and driving conditions/habits. V rated tires are usually a bit softer and don't last as long, as it was mentioned they may have lower tread from start as well.,

I have a 2018 Camry LE, the tire size is: 215/55R/17 94V.
I live in Connecticut, but I never drive in the snow anymore. Being recently retired, I just wait for the snow storm to end.

We are planning on doing quite a bit of long highway driving all around the Country.
Would like a tire that will give me a Smooth and Quiet ride, especially for highway driving.

I was looking at the Conti True Contact’s and Michelin Defender 2’s, but they are only offered in a H speed rating not V for my tire size.

I was told the H rating would be too soft and squishy for my Camry’s suspension and I need to stay with a V speed rated tire for my car. Is this true?

I’m strongly considering getting the Conti Pure Contact LS, they come in a V speed rated tire. Tire Rack testing has them ahead of the CC2’s in wet driving. Consumer Reports has the Pure Contact LS rated number 1 on their Grand Touring list for 2024.

Also been looking at the Cross Climate 2’s, but have been getting concerned about them, mostly because of all the noise issues that I’ve read about online. Tire Rack reviews have quite a few talking about the noise. I don’t like noise, I’m old now lol.

Do you have any suggestions? Am I going down the right path in my research?
I’m willing to spend the money on quality tires.
New guy here and Thanks for your time!
I have the Continental PureContact LS tires on my Subaru. They are whisper quiet, very smooth, and phenomenal in the rain and snow. They’ll serve you well.

Between those tires I like the LS better. They have asymetrical tread pattern, which is usually better, and 2lbs less weight, which is always nice. They will wear faster, that's the only con, but 700 is a reasonable rating imo.

There is nothing wrong with H tires though. I am running H in my Mazda 3 which specs V and no the suspension doesn't feel soft like the tire guy claims.

I would checkout general or uniroyal.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback!!!

One more question:

Since I’m going to be doing quite a bit of highway driving over the next few years, from a safety standpoint, wouldn’t the Pure Contact be the better choice over the True Contact?
Seems the Pure Contact would offer a better road handling for faster highway driving plus better mpg.
Pure Contact is a touring tire. True Contact is an all season.

I’m new to getting this deep into tires, so please have some patience with my basic questions.

The TrueContact Tour got excellent ratings on Tire Rack tests for wet. I just put a set on my sons Forte but not a lot of miles yet. What I did drive was quiet.

On my Accord I put 215-55-17 Pirelli P7 AS+2 (discontinued) and the SUV version on my daughters CRV. I bought both of those sets based on the quiet ratings and wet grip. I've been very happy with both. I would have no issue getting the new Pirelli AS3 based on them.

If you have a Sam's club by you they might have or can order. They include road hazard then also. I hit a crater of a pothole a week after getting them. Bubbled the sidewall and bent my rim. Sam's club got the replacement tire in full. Local shop repaired my rim. Smooth/quiet/happy.

I wouldn't worry about putting H on, I have done that. I would watch the video reviews between them on Tire Rack. They compare to other models so you in a couple videos you can kind of judge a variety.

Don't get Laufenn G-Fit AS. When Tire Rack says this....take note! What We’d Improve: Wet traction is the worst we have tested.

H rated are fine
16" wheels come with H rated tires.
H rated "may" ride better.. certainly not worse than V rated.. in same tire model.
1712690222413.jpg

Funny Story…

I checked the tire rating on my wife’s Accord today. It is 91V
When we put on new tires 5 years ago, the mechanic suggested General RT43’s, so i said sure, you’re the expert, and I did not realize this, until today, the Generals he put on are rated 91T.

I’ve driven the Accord a lot in the last 5 years and I have had no problem with the feel and ride.

I tried a set of H-rated tires on one of my Camry's rated for V-rated tires, and I couldn't wait until those wore out! Car did not track nearly as well and was always having to correct.

Truecontact tour have nice deep tread.

I think touring tires are just a little grippier than all seasons but with less tread

Thanks for all the feedback!!!

One more question:

Since I’m going to be doing quite a bit of highway driving over the next few years, from a safety standpoint, wouldn’t the Pure Contact be the better choice over the True Contact?
Seems the Pure Contact would offer a better road handling for faster highway driving plus better mpg.
Pure Contact is a touring tire. True Contact is an all season.

I’m new to getting this deep into tires, so please have some patience with my basic questions.

They're both all season, TC is standard and PC is grand touring. For the $4 difference, I'd totally try out the Pure Contact out of curiosity. The reviews look pretty good for either models though so I think you'd be happy with either.

Back