Top All-Season Tires? Michelin or Comparable?

Meh would rather have good tires on anything you are driving than think about how old or how valuable it is. If you can’t put good tires on it not sure why you would drive it
I always find it fascinating how people think that old car deserves cheaper tires because I guess the laws of physics are less ruthless to older vehicles.

Yes, but you can always book an appointment, and then have pizza and a hot dog, and chicken bake, with some sandee, and gain 2-3lbs.
I agree the appt process leaves a lot to be desired. It’s usually booked out 10+ days. Which is silly because when I needed road hazard just drove and walked up. Sometimes they literally just drive the car in. Not in Delaware though, they are slammed due to no sales tax.

But does anyone think the wait is better at a tire shop? Other than W Phila where there it’s like a pit crew at a road race, they’ll do 4 tires and you may not even need to get out of the vehicle

Meh would rather have good tires on anything you are driving than think about how old or how valuable it is. If you can’t put good tires on it not sure why you would drive it
I’ve done both and I can see it both ways.

My 10 yo Lexus sold used at a new car dealer had Rydanz Roadster 02s that were $88 at Walmart. I used them from 2016-2022.

At that time I got the Pilot Sport A/S 4. So this is from one extreme to another.

My wife said you’re going to toss 4 brand new tires? Isn’t that a waste of money? I thought I don’t waste food maybe I shouldn’t waste them either.

Money and cost do matter imho no matter how well off we are….my .02

I agree the appt process leaves a lot to be desired. It’s usually booked out 10+ days. Which is silly because when I needed road hazard just drove and walked up. Sometimes they literally just drive the car in. Not in Delaware though, they are slammed due to no sales tax.

But does anyone think the wait is better at a tire shop? Other than W Phila where there it’s like a pit crew at a road race, they’ll do 4 tires and you may not even need to get out of the vehicle
DT is busy too. Worst, I come to order tires, they never call me back. etc.
It is what it is.

I always find it fascinating how people think that old car deserves cheaper tires because I guess the laws of physics are less ruthless to older vehicles.
Just maybe everyone doesn't have the same income level. Not that hard to understand.

I think different I would rather put a good budget tire on them go top shelf. The vehicle is 22 years old save the money for a needed future repair
He listed BF Goodrich TrailTerrain T/A. Difference in stopping distance between that tire and Michelin Defender LTX is 45ft in wet. And BFG is not considered budget tire. So it makes sense to save money for repairs if going budget tire.

He listed BF Goodrich TrailTerrain T/A. Difference in stopping distance between that tire and Michelin Defender LTX is 45ft in wet. And BFG is not considered budget tire. So it makes sense to save money for repairs if going budget tire.
Let's be honest here it's a 22 year old most likely a beater material liberty you wanna put $1k in tires? Drive slower in the rain with $500 budget tires

Let's be honest here it's a 22 year old most likely a beater material liberty you wanna put $1k in tires? Drive slower in the rain with $500 budget tires
Yes, I would. How slow do you want to drive in rain? 5mph? 10mph instead of 50? The number I gave you is the difference at 50mph.
Generally, tires are cheaper than medical bills, or injury. I don't get how people can put price on life or being injured.

Yes, I would. How slow do you want to drive in rain? 5mph? 10mph instead of 50? The number I gave you is the difference at 50mph.
Generally, tires are cheaper than medical bills, or injury. I don't get how people can put price on life or being injured.
You can get the general tires 65k warranty a good budget tire compared to the Michelin for half the price for a beater. It's a good compromise you don't need top shelf for a beater

Screenshot_20240201-160718.jpg

Screenshot_20240201-160519.jpg

You can get the general tires 65k warranty a good budget tire compared to the Michelin for half the price for a beater. It's a good compromise you don't need top shelf for a beater

View attachment 201164

View attachment 201165
There is a reason for price difference. General is budget tire of Continental. Where is performance in 30k? Generally, budget tires are budget, as performance deterioration is far worse than top category.
Take into consideration, that at Costco with discount difference between that General and Michelin is around $300 OTD. Your call.

There is a reason for price difference. General is budget tire of Continental. Where is performance in 30k? Generally, budget tires are budget, as performance deterioration is far worse than top category.
Take into consideration, that at Costco with discount difference between that General and Michelin is around $300 OTD. Your call.
My call is general it will probably outlast a 22 year old beater. In 30k most likely in the junkyard

Cars do last a long time today…I literally was looking at my mfg sticker this AM at work and it said 9/05. That’s over 18 years, and no rust. My first car was only 11 (Volvo 244) and it was rusted through both fenders, rear doors, and behind rear 1/4 mud flaps. Times changed cars can be driven a really long time not to mention car prices now…🙂

If you do the calculations I'm pretty sure just going 5-8mph slower does have the lower grip tire stopping sooner than the best tire. I do agree though that tires are basically the only main component that really matters on car in terms of upgrading safety in accident avoidance performance.
I split the difference with always running half decent winter tires, but then running my old drying out michelin defenders with pretty bad wet grip in the summer, and just slowing down the ~1% time I'm driving in busy traffic in the rain...

Back