Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus

The P7 AS Plus 3 seem to be great tires but they are GT tires while the DWS06+ are UHP tires. The Pzero AS Plus 3 would be more comparable:

Also depends if the Accord touring is driven the same as Civic Si and can take advantage of the properties.

My normal drives are highway commute and around town, some trips. I like all the aspects of the more performance oriented UHP's but my reality is very rarely that I would get even tp tell the difference. Living somewhere else might change that.

Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate is still my pick out of the UHP all season bunch. Drives smoother and more precise than the Michelin and is a complete beast in the rain. Basically a summer tire that doesn’t turn to rock when it gets cold. Snow performance with any of the UHP tires is basically “I got home without ending up in the ditch” level performance.

Eagle is tops in this review

If they made the 235/40/18 in an XL load rating I'd switch from my Michelin PSAS4s to these next time.

The Conti DWS-06Plus does quite well in the snow (not really deep snow, but slick/icy stuff).
I would know; this is my 2019 MX-5 from a few years ago crossing 10,000 feet in CO in that early Oct snow storm.
As I was heading east up the mountain, I was passing cars like Subarus and SUVs, and getting a LOT of stares ...

IMG_3174.jpg

The Conti DWS-06Plus does quite well in the snow (not really deep snow, but slick/icy stuff).
I would know; this is my 2019 MX-5 from a few years ago crossing 10,000 feet in CO in that early Oct snow storm.
As I was heading east up the mountain, I was passing cars like Subarus and SUVs, and getting a LOT of stares ...

View attachment 209465
Driver mod always works.

I'm looking for tires to replace the old Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires on my 2016 Mustang GT. The Michelins work very well from a performance standpoint, but developed a rumble after only a few thousand miles. I've lived with the noise for a few years, but now that the tread is down to around 3/32, I'm ready to replace them.

Does anyone here have experience with the Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06+ tires? They seem to be a favorite of Tire Rack and their customers, and are said to be among the smoothest and quietest in the Ultra High Performance All Season class. I have read a few comments on the Internet about balancing and other issues, but I always take those with a grain of salt.

I care nothing about winter performance down here in North Texas. And I'd be looking at summer tires if not for the dire warnings about even storing them at temperatures below 40 degrees F. Seems like the industry needs something between "summer only" and all season. Tires that don't fall apart in sub 40 degree weather, but makes no claims about working in snow.
Nothing wrong with summer tires existing in a sub-40 degree garage. From TireRack:

"It is not recommended to drive on these types of tires at temperatures below 40 degrees F (5 degrees C).

It is recommended these types of tires be stored indoors at temperatures maintained at above 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) when not in use.

Tires accidentally exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.
"

Nothing wrong with summer tires existing in a sub-40 degree garage. From TireRack:

"It is not recommended to drive on these types of tires at temperatures below 40 degrees F (5 degrees C).

It is recommended these types of tires be stored indoors at temperatures maintained at above 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) when not in use.

Tires accidentally exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.
"
Yeah, I've seen that...20 seems to be the real "danger zone" number...really below freezing is what I use, below 40 isn't optimal for performance but the rubber will be fine...

Yeah, I've seen that...20 seems to be the real "danger zone" number...really below freezing is what I use, below 40 isn't optimal for performance but the rubber will be fine...
Are you talking about driving? I'm only talking about storing.

Though, I did drive 250 miles once in a blizzard with Toyo Proxes T1 Sport, no problems (all highway).

Are you talking about driving? I'm only talking about storing.

Though, I did drive 250 miles once in a blizzard with Toyo Proxes T1 Sport, no problems (all highway).
Just sitting/parked outside. Below 40 driving is fine as long as it's dry...testing will show over and over you still have good dry grip on summers even in the cold.

Just sitting/parked outside. Below 40 driving is fine as long as it's dry...testing will show over and over you still have good dry grip on summers even in the cold.
Not sure I'd test mine to 20 degrees, but ya a little below 40 in the "extreme summer" category tire is not an issue. Just don't go crazy until they're warmed up - or at all lol.

Last edited:
Back