Pennzoil Technical Bulletin on oils for European cars.

There is a problem with this version even when it was current.
They claim BMW moved to XW30 bcs. fuel economy. Absolutely not true. BMW was and still is approving XW40 oils in LL01 and LL04. Also, BMW itself had TPT 0W40 LL01 oils made from 2014 until 2021, and made by none other than SOPUS.
Also, this wording is still operational at SOPUS.
I’ve read many of your posts. You respond a lot to existing posts but post very little technical information published publically. It’s time for YOU to actually post some meaningful information rather than trying to be the BMW gate keeper with your opinions. So you say Pennzoil is wrong with their opinion about 0w30? Prove it.

I’ve read many of your posts. You respond a lot to existing posts but post very little technical information published publically. It’s time for YOU to actually post some meaningful information rather than trying to be the BMW gate keeper with your opinions.
Sort of like this thread. Or at least accurate technical information.

I’ve read many of your posts. You respond a lot to existing posts but post very little technical information published publically. It’s time for YOU to actually post some meaningful information rather than trying to be the BMW gate keeper.
If you read many of my post, you have all info there.
I also explained you after you posted root of the problem.
If BMW limited oils to XW30, they would only approve XW30 oils for LL01 and LL04. It is simple as that. And, AGAIN, SOPUS was making XW40 LL01 oil for BMW, under BMW Twin Power Turbo brand (you can find it yourself online). Regardless when was this published, it is factually incorrect!

You made an absolute statement, even though you know there are exceptions
Those allowed grades listed in the approval are really not useful. It's probably a marketing thing since oil is sold by grade, but it is not the determining factor in whether an oil obtains the approval or not.

Like I said, post something published. Good grief man.
You mean approvals on back of your average Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40?
BF7BF112-0139-4EE6-B72A-92FEBC537092.jpeg

So, if BMW limited to 5W30, how is that I have this in my garage and my engine right now?

We discussed this xxxxxxx times here. If interested, I bet you will find plenty information.

That container indicates Pennzoil Euro 5w40 is formulated to meet or exceed BMW Longlife-01. If that doesn’t agree to what their bulletin said 12 years ago move on and give us some good info published by BMW. How about on why they allow 0w30 in some vehicles and the reason I behind it..

I believe some folks got twisted off on this segment that was included in the Technical bulletin along with 10 other manufacturers. How about doing a report on what BMW considered “standard models” in 2010, Pennzoil's term, not BMW.

C2809FD2-3C44-4116-9707-76883FF1EA16.jpeg

That container indicates Pennzoil Euro 5w40 is formulated to meet or exceed BMW Longlife-01. If that doesn’t agree to what their bulletin said 12 years ago move on and give us some good info published by BMW. How about on why they allow 0w30 in some vehicles and the reason I behind it..
Their 5W40 oils were approved for BMW LL01 also 12 years ago.
I gave everyone info on 0W30. And AGAIN, you have fundamental misunderstanding that BMW doesn’t determine grade to be used but approval! Also, 12 years ago 0W30 were approved for bot LL01 and LL04.
I am definitely not going to waste my time here explaining all this all over again just because you woke up entitled to this information.
You have everything here. Find it.

Why Pennzoil has that language is very good question, for Pennzoil! Not for BMW or us here.
Same question could be asked why they posted 0W20 numbers in pds that should specify 5W30 oil.
It is Shell, they are known for sloppiness when it comes to this.
They indicate on their oils they meet and exceed, when in reality their oils are actually approved.
Again, question for them.

Well good luck. You are such a source of BMW info you should post some backup material. Until then.
I did.
You can easily find it. And that old pds you posted doesn’t have issues only with BMW approvals. They messed up everything else.
You first have to figure out what are approvals and how they work. That is why you simply don’t understand what anyone is saying here. And no one here can help you with that. By now, you could know everything about it, if you wanted to do it by yourself.
You posted old pds and basically said: entertain my entitlement.

Here is what 30sec of research can find on Motul website:
“The BMW Long Life-01 specification imposes severe constraints to the lubricant particularly due to the Valvetronic system. It covers all BMW engines from 2001 to 2004 and also all the previous BMW specifications such as BMW LL-98.
From 2004, BMW vehicles require a BMW LL-04 lubricant such as MOTUL 8100 X-clean gen2 5W-40, MOTUL 8100 X- clean EFE 5W-30, MOTUL 8100 X-clean+ 5W-30 or MOTUL Specific LL-04 5W-40.
The BMW LL-01 standard covers also all Gasoline engines running only outside European Union countries, Switzerland, Norway and Liechtenstein. Refer to BMW recommendations when in doubt.
MOTUL 8100 X-cess gen2 5W-40 fulfills all the specifications of BMW Long Life-01 standard of the BMW Group for BMW, MINI and ROLLS-ROYCE vehicles with no exceptions i.e. for models before 2019 and after 2019. For models up to 2019, MOTUL 8100 X-cess 5W-40 can also be used.”

As it is obvious, grade is not relevant. It is all about actual approval.

And here is another example:

Last edited:
Their 5W40 oils were approved for BMW LL01 also 12 years ago.
I gave everyone info on 0W30. And AGAIN, you have fundamental misunderstanding that BMW doesn’t determine grade to be used but approval! Also, 12 years ago 0W30 were approved for bot LL01 and LL04.
I am definitely not going to waste my time here explaining all this all over again just because you woke up entitled to this information.
You have everything here. Find it.
Well that was a good start.

Back