Euro oil choices for an engine with higher than normal operating temperatures.

The MB 229.52 standard is probably the most stringent euro standard in terms of oxidation. M1 ESP 5W-30 has this cert. The Pennzoil Euro L doesn't. Not sure about the others.
Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30 doesn't have MB 229.52, but Pennzoil Euro LX 0W30 does.

Bill7, Would you consider using a 0W-30?

PP0W-30.jpg

Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30 doesn't have MB 229.52, but Pennzoil Euro LX 0W30 does.

Bill7, Would you consider using a 0W-30?

View attachment 205259
Thanks. I double checked. The Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30 has the MB 229.51 (but not the 229.52 certification).
My thinking is anything with MB 229.50 or 229.51 or 229.52 is really good. I like the 229.50 as it allows for higher phosphorous/zinc.

Reactions: wlk
MB229.5=high SAPS oil (Castrol Edge 5W30 A3, Mobil1 0W40FS in Wal Mart).
MB229.51= Low/Mid SAPS oil (Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 in Wal Mart.
I remember reading somewhere on BITOG a post by HPL (Dave) saying that he was impressed with the cleaning ability of a Mobil 1 40 weight oil (trying to find that post to see if it was the Mobil 1 0W40 FS). There is one Mobil 1 formula that has a lot of Ester. If anyone knows more on this, please let me know. Thanks.

I remember reading somewhere on BITOG a post by HPL (Dave) saying that he was impressed with the cleaning ability of a Mobil 1 40 weight oil (trying to find that post to see if it was the Mobil 1 0W40 FS). There is one Mobil 1 formula that has a lot of Ester. If anyone knows more on this, please let me know. Thanks.
Dave was referring to the previous Mobil1 0W40 API SN. That one had a goulash of base stocks, including Esters. This one, not sure. I have no doubt it is exceptional oil, and I would use it with confidence like the previous version on track, street, etc.
However, the same goes for Mobil1 ESP. The type of base stock will be similar. The only reason why I would use 0W40 is if you are tracking the vehicle. In that case, definitely.

Dave was referring to the previous Mobil1 0W40 API SN. That one had a goulash of base stocks, including Esters. This one, not sure. I have no doubt it is exceptional oil, and I would use it with confidence like the previous version on track, street, etc.
However, the same goes for Mobil1 ESP. The type of base stock will be similar. The only reason why I would use 0W40 is if you are tracking the vehicle. In that case, definitely.
Thanks. So 40 weight's is better at the track then 30 weight because of it's ability to handle the high heat, or the higher RPM's, or both?

Thanks. So 40 weight's is better at the track then 30 weight because of it's ability to handle the high heat, or the higher RPM's, or both?
The performance variable you should be looking is HTHS. Mobil1 ESP 0/5W30 has very high HTHS and it is borderline XW40 oil. Many use XW30 like that on track. The reason I said track is that Mobil1 0W40 except being exceptional oil, has also Porsche A40 approval which has specific track requirements.
I am not fan of too light of oils. Butalso golden rule of lubrication is “as thin as possible, as thick as necessary.” VW 504.00/507.00 oils IMO fit right there; not too heavy, plenty of protection “cushion.”

The performance variable you should be looking is HTHS. Mobil1 ESP 0/5W30 has very high HTHS and it is borderline XW40 oil. Many use XW30 like that on track. The reason I said track is that Mobil1 0W40 except being exceptional oil, has also Porsche A40 approval which has specific track requirements.
I am not fan of too light of oils. Butalso golden rule of lubrication is “as thin as possible, as thick as necessary.” VW 504.00/507.00 oils IMO fit right there; not too heavy, plenty of protection “cushion.”
I noticed this oil has the Porsche A40 approval (which like you said includes specific track requirements),
and it's only $22.97 for a 5 quart jug at Walmart. If using a Walmart credit card with 5% cash back and purchasing online, it would be $1 less. This oil might become a strategic oil for my vehicles.

The higher starting viscosity, it allows for slightly higher running temperatures for the same resulting viscosity. But there's not much in it compared to a 0W30 229.5/229.51/229.52. IMO it's only a nominal difference

The higher starting viscosity, it allows for slightly higher running temperatures for the same resulting viscosity. But there's not much in it compared to a 0W30 229.5/229.51/229.52. IMO it's only a nominal difference
The HTHS is higher, KV100, it will allow better pressure. Also, Mobil1 classifies 0W40 as entry track oil, so some additives and composition will be geared toward those conditions.

I noticed this oil has the Porsche A40 approval (which like you said includes specific track requirements),
and it's only $22.97 for a 5 quart jug at Walmart. If using a Walmart credit card with 5% cash back and purchasing online, it would be $1 less. This oil might become a strategic oil for my vehicles.

Yes, a lot of oils have Porsche A40 that are available in Wal Mart: Castrol 5W40, Valvoline 5W40, Mobil1 0/5W40.

It's good oil, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. I'm running it in my BMW right now.

Why not use a VCMuzzler and not worry as much? They may still get some varnish or whatnot but at least you don’t have the issues you speak of.

How does a poor PCV Valve contribute to hot spots?
I don’t know that it does. But there is something about crankcase airflow from the two banks.

Our PCV wasn’t terrible, but it was dirty, particularly given that we’ve always run the right sub oils on 5k intervals, and have had the VCM muzzled more or less always.

Last edited:
I don’t know that it does. But there is something about crankcase airflow from the two banks.

Our PCV wasn’t terrible, but it was dirty, particularly given that we’ve always run the right sub oils on 5k intervals, and have had the VCM muzzled more or less always.

Thanks JHZR2. Yes, I had read that entire post previously. Please correct the statement below if it contains any inaccuracies:

You had VCM Muzzler installed practically since Odyssey was brand new, and you were doing 5k/6 month? oil change interval with full synthetic 0W-20, and there was significant varnish after 70k miles.

Are these cylinder head hotspots any hotter than turbos or what the pistons see. Take your pick of dexos or euro oils. They will all get the job fine with plenty of performance to spare.

Thanks JHZR2. Yes, I had read that entire post previously. Please correct the statement below if it contains any inaccuracies:

You had VCM Muzzler installed practically since Odyssey was brand new, and you were doing 5k/6 month? oil change interval with full synthetic 0W-20, and there was significant varnish after 70k miles.
I wouldn’t say that we had significant varnish by any stretch.

I haven’t pulled a valve cover. But I have no reason to think that there is any sort of excessive varnish or sludge.

There was some deposits in the PCV valve, and under the oil filler cap, which wipe away easily with a rag. But they are there.

Order QSFS Euro 5w40 wallyworld. com as you can get it sometimes cheaper than in-store, buy 2 and free shipping to your door.

Back