Does one need a Euro-speced oil?

To me, it’s high rpm that creates the heat in oil, requiring a higher grade to compensate for a loss of temperature related lower viscosity. The rest is just the European efforts to produce a good oil. They have their pride and don’t feel like bending over to the USA, which by the way is subject to gas mileage requirements promoting the use of lower viscosities.
exactly.
and the Euro's have their own emission and environmental standards and other things they tend to force down their own citizens throats.
worth saying those people don't drive as much as Americans do nor is car ownership rates as high as they are in the US..
The Europeans actually have viable public transportationsystems. LOL.
in general it cost more to use a vehicle in Europe so car ownership is for wealthier people.

For example I saw recently that Germany outlawed washing of vehicles at home.
You have to pay to wash your car at an environmentally conscious business for a small fee. :)

Last edited:
it doesn't... but it meets Jap car requirement... and EDDYVW was trying to make the point that it doesn't cost more to service a Euro car oil when most people who deal with the stuff know it usually costs more to service European cars.

In general every part for them is more expensive.. just the way it is..
Actually it is not.
So tell us which European car you owned and what did you service?
Also, oil in your avater doesn’t meet any Japanese requirements. There are none except Nissan GT-R and Honda H-6 which are not approvals per se.

ShelB. I don't know if you need to buy the top shel euro motor oils, but doesn't being a member of the expensive European sports car fraternity also include paying the membership fee for maintenance of expensive European sports car's?

Since when are all BMWs sports cars?

And since when are all BMWs expensive?

it doesn't... but it meets Jap car requirement... and EDDYVW was trying to make the point that it doesn't cost more to service a Euro car oil when most people who deal with the stuff know it usually costs more to service European cars.

In general every part for them is more expensive.. just the way it is..
So don’t use it.

Buy an oil that meets the appropriate LL spec for you car.

Not hugely complicated.

exactly.
and the Euro's have their own emission and environmental standards and other things they tend to force down their own citizens throats.
worth saying those people don't drive as much as Americans do nor is car ownership rates as high as they are in the US..
The Europeans actually have viable public transportationsystems. LOL.
in general it cost more to use a vehicle in Europe so car ownership is for wealthier people.

For example I saw recently that Germany outlawed washing of vehicles at home.
You have to pay to wash your car at an environmentally conscious business for a small fee. :)
You really don’t know what you’re talking about.

Europe is not one Country.

There is no such nationality as European.

You can look at stats for Germany and think they are the same in Poland or stats for France and think they are the same for Scotland.

Actually it is not.
Also, oil in your avater doesn’t meet any Japanese requirements. There are none except Nissan GT-R and Honda H-6 which are not approvals per se.
I am not 💯 sure he has actually owned a car….

Actually it is not.

Eddy, I'm a bit late to this but the oil in my Avatar meets the requirements of my Nissan...

straight from their owners manual...
IMG_0404.JPG

Actually it is not.
Besides, what’s a “Jap car requirement”? Other than to disparage an ethnic group or nationality for which this poster seems skilled.

You've touched on the other side of the coin: why not run Euro-speced oil in Japanese and American cars, and those using API oils? I've been thinking of doing just that in the Camry when I use up my current stash.
I do that now. M1 0-40 in my Acura MDX and in my Acura RDX 2L Turbo. 0/20 the engine ugh. Definitely. I’m a little bit more noisy side. Honda only recommends 0- 20 for fuel economy purposes. As many of you guys already know you don’t get any horsepower out of a Honda engine until you’re in VTEC, which is above 3800 RPMs and that powers all the way to red line. So yes, I much rather have a euros spec oil with a higher HTHS for when you are in those RPM ranges. Honestly, the only thing that matters in regards to viscosity is the pumpability which is in the winner number so if you’re in the Middle East say Dubai, the European Honda manuals, recommend in the summertime to run 15-40. They would never recommend that in the United States because of café.

To me, it’s high rpm that creates the heat in oil, requiring a higher grade to compensate for a loss of temperature related lower viscosity. The rest is just the European efforts to produce a good oil. They have their pride and don’t feel like bending over to the USA, which by the way is subject to gas mileage requirements promoting the use of lower viscosities. Here’s a bit on CAFE regulated fleet gas mileage requirements.

View attachment 180842
You can’t get any better fuel mileage on freight haulers. Crazy.

It's a US thing. BMW are sold and equipped as luxury sports sedans/SAV etc. They're all sold with a premium price.

No cloth seats
No manual climate controls
No low powered I4's.
yeah, different target markets get different setups.
they use Mercedes and Bimmers in German for taxi's, do they not?.
probably police cars too .
doubt they have leather heated seats and tall the techno stuff the civilian market US vehicles offer.

yeah, different target markets get different setups.
they use Mercedes and Bimmers in German for taxi's, do they not?.
probably police cars too .
doubt they have leather heated seats and tall the techno stuff the civilian market US vehicles offer.
Yep.

ShelB. I don't know if you need to buy the top shel euro motor oils, but doesn't being a member of the expensive European sports car fraternity also include paying the membership fee for maintenance of expensive European sports car's?
How is doing basic maintenance on a Euro car differ from a Ford? I have 4 VWs, the oil changes and maintenance is no more/less than the Ford I have. Walmart Euro oil change (oil + filter) is the same price as non-Euro oil changes. Brake pads, batteries, etc. are all the same cost.

To me, it’s high rpm that creates the heat in oil, requiring a higher grade to compensate for a loss of temperature related lower viscosity. The rest is just the European efforts to produce a good oil. They have their pride and don’t feel like bending over to the USA, which by the way is subject to gas mileage requirements promoting the use of lower viscosities. Here’s a bit on CAFE regulated fleet gas mileage requirements.

View attachment 180842
is it rpm per se, or bearing speed? for pontiac v8 engines, there seems to be a consensus that the small journal engines can handle more RPM than the large journal engines engines.

Back