Pennzoil Technical Bulletin on oils for European cars.

Here is an undated Technical bulletin from Pennzoil describing different products for various manufacturers of European cars. Fell free to post an updated version.

9AD25D06-F958-4152-A524-6AFA7A7D1584.jpeg
16AFF614-CDF0-46D6-B908-B4903224CB1D.jpeg
27341506-D0B2-4DB7-B38A-655E5B00C739.jpeg

Last edited:
For the less knowledgeable

Your saying none of this paper is trustworthy?
BMW doesn’t care about grade, nor other Euro companies.
0W30 is not LL01 it is LL01FE.
10W60 is recommended for old M models. S55, 58 etc. run on LL01 or LL01FE or LL04 in Europe.
Let’s say you own M3 F80 with S55 engine or M2 with N55 or S55, this recommends 10W60 instead LL01! There is HUGE difference between those oils.
These are remarkable mistakes.

Down bulletin, they recommend LX0W30 which also has MB229.52 and never mentioned that approval. Also 5W30 Euro L carries MB229.51 but they don’t mention it???
They don’t have VW explanation. I am guessing this is for internal use, for their customers who run quick lube places? So they don’t have explanation for VW and VW Atlas is really popular among families.

10W60 is recommended for old M models. S55, 58 etc. run on LL01 or LL01FE or LL04 in Europe.
Let’s say you own M3 F80 with S55 engine or M2 with N55 or S55, this recommends 10W60 instead LL01! There is HUGE difference between those oils.
IIRC, GC 0W-30 was LL-01, because it had an HTHS of 3.5cP or greater.

I'm interested to see that the original SRT approval was basically just MB 229.5, which makes total sense and why the original SRT oil was a full-SAPS Euro oil.

Down bulletin, they recommend LX0W30 which also has MB229.52 and never mentioned that approval. Also 5W30 Euro L carries MB229.51 but they don’t mention it???
They don’t have VW explanation. I am guessing this is for internal use, for their customers who run quick lube places? So they don’t have explanation for VW and VW Atlas is really popular among families.
I expanded the VW section. Perhaps our resident Pennzoil rep can shed some light on this. The latest date mentioned was 2010.

I would not have known that, interesting! So new M cars no longer require mysterious $15+/liter motor oil lol

I remember M cars would have a sticker saying to change the oil at 1200km (when new). So I did the same with my new 335i (purchased 12/06)--the svc mgr said he would if he owned the vehicle, but not if he leased it. and he charged me $80 which back then was cheap. As time went on some BMW dealers charged $54 for oil changes which may have been below their cost (one could not order 7 qts. of 5W30 BMW oil and a filter for that little online, maybe $60 or $70).

I would not have known that, interesting! So new M cars no longer require mysterious $15+/liter motor oil lol

I remember M cars would have a sticker saying to change the oil at 1200km (when new). So I did the same with my new 335i (purchased 12/06)--the svc mgr said he would if he owned the vehicle, but not if he leased it. and he charged me $80 which back then was cheap. As time went on some BMW dealers charged $54 for oil changes which may have been below their cost (one could not order 7 qts. of 5W30 BMW oil and a filter for that little online, maybe $60 or $70).
All M engines with turbo require LL01, LL01FE and EU market LL04.
10W60 was band aid for iffy rod bearings.
But oils like Redline 5W50 proved better.
M models still require change after 1,200 initial miles. But, changes in dealerships can be as low as $99.

Last edited:
For the less knowledgeable

Your saying none of this paper is trustworthy?
It is not!
Or let
Me put this way: it is not today, if it is old.

For example, BMW N/S turbo engines (andN51/52 naturally aspirated engines) can develop VANOS issues due to problems with oil pressure. Running 10W60 in M engines N55/S55/58/63 can lead to those issues during cold starts.
If this is old, a. I don’t see the point of posting it, b. If it is not, there are serious problems.

Oh well, if BMW doesn’t care about grade, it’s quite telling. So be it. There are plenty of Beemer sites. There were 10 manufacturers that weren’t BMW. Yes, this thing is probably from 2010. The BMW fans can update it If they wish. Most new BMW’s are leased anyway. They don’t care about the oil.

Oh well, if BMW doesn’t care about grade, it’s quite telling. So be it. There are plenty of Beemer sites. There were 10 manufacturers that weren’t BMW. Yes, this thing is probably from 2010. The BMW fans can update it If they wish. Most new BMW’s are leased anyway. They don’t care about the oil.
Lol you’re the one who posted it, best not try and explain away the issues by saying people could learn elsewhere what’s actually correct. No manufacturer really cares about grade and none of the approvals do either really. It’s about HT/HS, that’s the determining factor. Allowed grades within the requirement are thankfully being phased out in some approvals.

Lol you’re the one who posted it, best not try and explain away the issues by saying people could learn elsewhere what’s actually correct. No manufacturer really cares about grade and none of the approvals do either really. It’s about HT/HS, that’s the determining factor. Allowed grades within the requirement are thankfully being phased out in some approvals.
Haha kschachan, I said the date was not not on the bulletin right in the first posting and to feel free to post an updated version. Most manufacturers define a grade in their owners manuals. Read them and get back. I should have simply deleted the BMW section. They are the most anal retentive manufacturer off all.

Last edited:
Haha kschachan, I said the posting was not dated right in the first posting and to feel free to post an updated version. Most manufacturers define a grade in their owners manuals. Read them and get back. I should have simply deleted the BMW section. They are the most anal retentive manufacturer off all.
I think it's more that Pennzoil didn't properly convey the BMW requirements. LL-01, at the time this was written, included: 0W-30, 5W-30, 0W-40, 5W-40 as approved and acceptable grades.

What is telling? BMW cares about HTHS. Either vehicle has approval or not. What is stated here is not factual.
Also, if this is old, what are you trying to achieve?

Haha kschachan, I said the date was not not on the bulletin right in the first posting and to feel free to post an updated version. Most manufacturers define a grade in their owners manuals. Read them and get back. I should have simply deleted the BMW section. They are the most anal retentive manufacturer off all.
You are posting in European section something that is misleading, at best. European manufacturers don’t require grade, but first and foremost approval. They post grade in case oils are not available etc.
Approval is the only thing that matters.

Back