Pennzoil Technical Bulletin on oils for European cars.

Haha kschachan, I said the date was not not on the bulletin right in the first posting and to feel free to post an updated version. Most manufacturers define a grade in their owners manuals. Read them and get back. I should have simply deleted the BMW section. They are the most anal retentive manufacturer off all.
Why would I care to post an updated version? I couldn’t care less, either the oil has the approval I’m looking for or it doesn’t. This is very common for this type of “guide” where it gets it wrong in multiple ways.

Grades are recommendations, approvals are what count. And it’s not just BMW.

Why would I care to post an updated version? I couldn’t care less, either the oil has the approval I’m looking for or it doesn’t. This is very common for this type of “guide” where it gets it wrong in multiple ways.

Grades are recommendations, approvals are what count. And it’s not just BMW.
The bulletin states M cars to use 10W60 which is not the case since 2013 when E90 M got out of production.

The bulletin states M cars to use 10W60 which is not the case since 2013 when E90 M got out of production.
It's even muddier than that! The S62 called for 10W-60 in the USA, but everywhere else, called for LL-01, lol, as long as it was a post 03/00 car.

LX had LL04 until 2018.
Shell is still supplier to the rest of the world. Castrol is supplier only for NA.
True, but Pennzoil is the USA brand, it would be Helix in the rest of the world. When did the contract for North America switch back to Castrol, do you remember, was it last year or the year before?

True, but Pennzoil is the USA brand, it would be Helix in the rest of the world. When did the contract for North America switch back to Castrol, do you remember, was it last year or the year before?
Helix doesn’t carry it too. All 0W30/40 oils are not anymore approved fir LL01 and LL04.
I think it is supply/chain issue as BMW always contracts for all world. Castrol started to supply it 02/21. Also, 5W30 and 5W40 still have approvals. I highly doubt SOPUS is going to pull out of BMW market. It only hurts them.

Helix doesn’t carry it too. All 0W30/40 oils are not anymore approved fir LL01 and LL04.
I think it is supply/chain issue as BMW always contracts for all world. Castrol started to supply it 02/21. Also, 5W30 and 5W40 still have approvals. I highly doubt SOPUS is going to pull out of BMW market. It only hurts them.
Just checked the EPC site, and this German sheet, from 2021, still shows LL-04 for the 0W-30:
Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 5.28.29 PM.png

Well I’m signing off from this thread. Have at it. Once again, like I said in the initial posting, if anyone can update that Pennzoil Technical bulletin thread that would be very interesting.

They appear to have two versions, ECT and ECT C2/C3. Don't ask me why. ECT shows LL-04, ECT C2/C3 doesn't. Ridiculous.
I can’t find ECT 0W30 on sale in Germany. Only ECT C2/3.
Edit: ECT 0W30 is only available on eBay. Which tells me that it is old batch.

But, one thing to keep in mind is that Castrol claims in pds that new 0W40 is LL01. So, maybe they met new oxidation requirements and maybe Shell did same.

Last edited:
Down bulletin, they recommend LX0W30 which also has MB229.52 and never mentioned that approval. Also 5W30 Euro L carries MB229.51 but they don’t mention it???
They don’t have VW explanation. I am guessing this is for internal use, for their customers who run quick lube places? So they don’t have explanation for VW and VW Atlas is really popular among families.
Which is concerning and one of the main reasons why I would not recommend most consumers using these establishments.

In addition to BMW, this document is also outdated related to Ferrari as well. There are probably other outdate info for other makes we are not as familiar with. Posting such and old document it not very helpful at all.

Read the first post and report back.
There is a problem with this version even when it was current.
They claim BMW moved to XW30 bcs. fuel economy. Absolutely not true. BMW was and still is approving XW40 oils in LL01 and LL04. Also, BMW itself had TPT 0W40 LL01 oils made from 2014 until 2021, and made by none other than SOPUS.
Also, this wording is still operational at SOPUS.

BMW doesn’t care about grade, nor other Euro companies.
0W30 is not LL01 it is LL01FE.
10W60 is recommended for old M models. S55, 58 etc. run on LL01 or LL01FE or LL04 in Europe.
Let’s say you own M3 F80 with S55 engine or M2 with N55 or S55, this recommends 10W60 instead LL01! There is HUGE difference between those oils.
These are remarkable mistakes.
So, 504/507 can be a 40wt oil?

Likewise, 508/509 and LL14-FE+ doesn’t have to be 20 wt?

Or is it just mere coincidence that they are that weight oil

So, 504/507 can be a 40wt oil?

Likewise, 508/509 and LL14-FE+ doesn’t have to be 20 wt?

Or is it just mere coincidence that they are that weight oil
VWhas specific requirement to be in 30 weight but it is still based on HTHS.
Yes, there are exceptions. You know it. Sorry for not drawing picture.

Back