Oil for 2022 Gladiator with 3rd Gen 3.0L EcoDiesel

Recently bought a 2022 Jeep Gladiator with 19K miles that has the 3.0L EcoDiesel. Dealer changed the oil at 17K miles but no idea which oil they used. Supposedly the 3rd Gen EcoDiesel has fewer problems than previous Gens, finger crossed.

This is my first diesel so I read the oil recommendation carefully. Here are the specs:

- SAE: 5w-40
- API: SN or SP
- MS-12991 (Chrysler Material Standard)

The options I’ve found that meet these specs are:

- Castrol Edge Euro Car 5w-40
* only brand in-stock locally
- Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40
- Quaker State Euro 5w-40
* Cheapest option, order online

Any recommendations on which oil brand may work better in this engine? Any brands I should avoid?

I’ve read here that the Pennzoil & Quaker State options above are the same oil, true? I also read that the QS viscosity was thin for a 40W oil, thoughts?

Read good things about the Mobil 1 Euro oil but as far as I can tell, it doesn’t meet the listed specs.

Appreciate any input.

What does the manual say? Costco has great prices on motor oil for both gas and limited selections on diesel. I always hear great things about Shell oil for diesel.

Does the 3.0 eco diesel require DEF and maintenance as big diesel rigs? Epa really screwed diesel community and the environment with their bs.

chrystler had issues with the ecodiesel murdering rod bearings IIRC due to incorrect spec oils being used. any oil that carries the certification called for in your user manual should suffice. people here love the quaker state euro 5w-40 and the castrol.

Cheapest oil on your list. I didn't know the new Gladiators offered the diesel. That's a nice option!

What does the manual say? Costco has great prices on motor oil for both gas and limited selections on diesel. I always hear great things about Shell oil for diesel.

Does the 3.0 eco diesel require DEF and maintenance as big diesel rigs? Epa really screwed diesel community and the environment with their bs.
I listed the specs from the manual.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a Costco near me.

Hard to believe they recommend gasoline engine oils for a diesel. Doesn’t make sense. The earlier generations requirements were upgraded to diesel 5-40 or 15-40.

Hard to believe they recommend gasoline engine oils for a diesel. Doesn’t make sense. The earlier generations requirements were upgraded to diesel 5-40 or 15-40.
It is a band aid for engine design issues around rod bearings. Not sure did they resolve that, but one way to deal with it was moving from ACEA C3 5W30 to ACEA A3 5W40, specifically Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40.

Recently bought a 2022 Jeep Gladiator with 19K miles that has the 3.0L EcoDiesel. Dealer changed the oil at 17K miles but no idea which oil they used. Supposedly the 3rd Gen EcoDiesel has fewer problems than previous Gens, finger crossed.

This is my first diesel so I read the oil recommendation carefully. Here are the specs:

- SAE: 5w-40
- API: SN or SP
- MS-12991 (Chrysler Material Standard)

The options I’ve found that meet these specs are:

- Castrol Edge Euro Car 5w-40
* only brand in-stock locally
- Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40
- Quaker State Euro 5w-40
* Cheapest option, order online

Any recommendations on which oil brand may work better in this engine? Any brands I should avoid?

I’ve read here that the Pennzoil & Quaker State options above are the same oil, true? I also read that the QS viscosity was thin for a 40W oil, thoughts?

Read good things about the Mobil 1 Euro oil but as far as I can tell, it doesn’t meet the listed specs.

Appreciate any input.
There are numerous oils that meet ACEA A3 and API SP. FCA used specifically in that engine PPE 5W40. Whether it is thin or not is irrelevant. What matters is HTHS and PPE and QS (repackaged PPE) both have very high HTHS due to GTL base stock.

That being said, due to the fact that you have DPF, I would use Motul X-Clean 5W40 GEN2.

If it was a jeep dealer most likely Pennzoil platinum euro 5w40. That’s what I use on them at the dealer. Its the only one we stock that meets the MS spec required

chrystler had issues with the ecodiesel murdering rod bearings IIRC due to incorrect spec oils being used. any oil that carries the certification called for in your user manual should suffice. people here love the quaker state euro 5w-40 and the castrol.
Actually it was happening with the proper oil originally. They changed their spec over time to start using more robust oils and got away from the thin stuff. I honestly ran Rotella T6 in my ecodiesel and my Land Rover Diesel. They just liked it. Ran smoother.

There are numerous oils that meet ACEA A3 and API SP. FCA used specifically in that engine PPE 5W40. Whether it is thin or not is irrelevant. What matters is HTHS and PPE and QS (repackaged PPE) both have very high HTHS due to GTL base stock.

That being said, due to the fact that you have DPF, I would use Motul X-Clean 5W40 GEN2.

I must plead ignorance as I'm not familiar with all the abbreviations and I truly want to understand.

PPE - Pennzoil Platinum Euro?
HTHS - ?
GTL - ?
Motul - ?

What about the Motul oil is better for the diesel particulate filter? I would like to understand this if you don't mind explaining (sorry).

FYI to some of the posts. First, thanks for trying to help. The 3rd Gen EcoDiesel supposedly corrected the bearing problems seen in Gens 1&2. Also, the spec of Gen 3 has always been a 5w-40 oil.

Honestly, I don't know the traditional differences in diesel oil and oils developed for gasoline engines. I know the Euro oils I listed above all say the are for gasoline and light duty diesel engines. I would love to learn the differences if someone has time to explain.

Appreciate everyone's help.

I must plead ignorance as I'm not familiar with all the abbreviations and I truly want to understand.

PPE - Pennzoil Platinum Euro?
HTHS - ?
GTL - ?
Motul - ?

What about the Motul oil is better for the diesel particulate filter? I would like to understand this if you don't mind explaining (sorry).
PPE: Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40
HTHS: Hight Temperature/High Shear (numerous topics about that here)
GTL: Gas to Liquid (numerous topics).
Motul: oil brand.

There are High SAPS, Mid SAPS, Low-SAPS oils. SAPS: Sulfated Ash and Phosphorus.
SAPS is byproduct that clogs DPF. Diesel engines use Low-SAPS oils to extend DPF life. PPE is Hig-SAPS oil. Any oil with ACEA A3 designation is High-SAPS oil. ACEA C3 is Mid to Low SAPS. Motul X-Clean 5W40 GEN2 is low SAPS oil with very high HTHS of 3.9mPas. If I had that engine, that is only oil I would use. Motul will pollute DPF less than PPE, and with that extend life of DPF.
Why Stelantis kept high-SAPS oil still recommended if the resolved bearings is interesting. It could be just logistics or still some issues with bearings.

PPE: Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40
HTHS: Hight Temperature/High Shear (numerous topics about that here)
GTL: Gas to Liquid (numerous topics).
Motul: oil brand.

There are High SAPS, Mid SAPS, Low-SAPS oils. SAPS: Sulfated Ash and Phosphorus.
SAPS is byproduct that clogs DPF. Diesel engines use Low-SAPS oils to extend DPF life. PPE is Hig-SAPS oil. Any oil with ACEA A3 designation is High-SAPS oil. ACEA C3 is Mid to Low SAPS. Motul X-Clean 5W40 GEN2 is low SAPS oil with very high HTHS of 3.9mPas. If I had that engine, that is only oil I would use. Motul will pollute DPF less than PPE, and with that extend life of DPF.
Why Stelantis kept high-SAPS oil still recommended if the resolved bearings is interesting. It could be just logistics or still some issues with bearings.

Very helpful edyvw! Thank you. Understanding makes all the difference.

Welcome to another 3rd gen EcoD owner! There aren't too many of us brave enough, it seems. The horror stories of the 1st and 2nd gen engines have pretty much chased off most would-be diesel owners, who opt to go with the HEMI, upgrade to the Cummins, or switch truck brands altogether.

Your EcoD most likely has Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 in the crankcase and that is what all CDJR dealers should be using at this point. I drained the factory fill around 3500 miles to get rid of early break-in metals and refilled with the QS Euro version you listed. I think it's the cheapest oil that meets the required MS-12291 spec.

Based on some UOAs I've seen over on the RAM forums, the QS Euro tends to shear down to a 30W after about 5k miles, meaning it "thins down" a grade. Some users have noticed elevated wear metals, particularly aluminum, and fuel dilution of the oil. The general consensus is that the 10k mile oil change interval (OCI) might be a bit too long if you idle the engine a lot (which some do in winter) and it might be helpful to reduce it, especially early on while the engine is still breaking in.

For instance, I've settled on 5K mile drain and refill only interval and then changing the filter out every 10K miles. Speaking of the filter, make sure you purchase the correct type. The OE filter (MOPAR) is close to $100 and is a filter-and-cap setup. I haven't seen filters on the shelf at most auto parts stores yet, so I just order them from one of my favorite online vendors for diesels: idparts.com

Enjoy the Gladiator and may it give you many miles of smiles.

Welcome to another 3rd gen EcoD owner! There aren't too many of us brave enough, it seems. The horror stories of the 1st and 2nd gen engines have pretty much chased off most would-be diesel owners, who opt to go with the HEMI, upgrade to the Cummins, or switch truck brands altogether.

Your EcoD most likely has Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 in the crankcase and that is what all CDJR dealers should be using at this point. I drained the factory fill around 3500 miles to get rid of early break-in metals and refilled with the QS Euro version you listed. I think it's the cheapest oil that meets the required MS-12291 spec.

Based on some UOAs I've seen over on the RAM forums, the QS Euro tends to shear down to a 30W after about 5k miles, meaning it "thins down" a grade. Some users have noticed elevated wear metals, particularly aluminum, and fuel dilution of the oil. The general consensus is that the 10k mile oil change interval (OCI) might be a bit too long if you idle the engine a lot (which some do in winter) and it might be helpful to reduce it, especially early on while the engine is still breaking in.

For instance, I've settled on 5K mile drain and refill only interval and then changing the filter out every 10K miles. Speaking of the filter, make sure you purchase the correct type. The OE filter (MOPAR) is close to $100 and is a filter-and-cap setup. I haven't seen filters on the shelf at most auto parts stores yet, so I just order them from one of my favorite online vendors for diesels: idparts.com

Enjoy the Gladiator and may it give you many miles of smiles.
Thank you for that information andreigbs, very helpful insight. It does sound prudent to not run the PPE/QS oil past 5K miles. That makes the bit more expensive Motul oil recommended above more appealing.

Speaking of idparts.com, I checked there and they have this aftermarket oil filter for the EcoDiesel at roughly half the cost of the OEM filter:

Any thought pro or con on using this Vaico filter in lieu of the OEM Mopar filter?

Thank you for that information andreigbs, very helpful insight. It does sound prudent to not run the PPE/QS oil past 5K miles. That makes the bit more expensive Motul oil recommended above more appealing.

Speaking of idparts.com, I checked there and they have this aftermarket oil filter for the EcoDiesel at roughly half the cost of the OEM filter:

Any thought pro or con on using this Vaico filter in lieu of the OEM Mopar filter?

If idparts sells it, I'd use it confidently. For reference, the MOPAR filter that's $100+ is made in China, so.... there's that. I see no problem using other brands of filter if they're quality-made.

Another online option (besides Amazon) is Doc's Diesel at https://www.docsdiesel.com/collections/ecodiesel.

As far as oil choices, there are many that meet the required spec and plenty more that don't, but are still high-quality diesel synthetic oils (see my sig for reference). I've used Motul several times in other diesel applications (MB and BMW) and was very pleased with it, just a bit on the pricey side. I tend to look for oils that carry multiple approvals for the different engines I run, so if I can find oils that meet the MB 229.51 spec for my Bluetec, the LL-04 spec for my (since sold) BMW X3d and the MS-12991 spec for the EcoD, I just buy several gallons of that at once.

One example of an oil that met all those specs is the Havoline ProDS Euro 5w40. One time I found several cases of it on sale for under $7/qt at my local Fleet Farm and bought them all. I had enough oil for a couple years' worth of changes.

Last edited:
Back