Dodge Durango 3.6L - second run of HPL 5w-20 - 12,000 miles on oil - filter pictures at 5,000 mile change interval run from 147,000 - 152,000 miles

Well, it spent its life on high quality oils, so it shouldn't have had any sludge, varnish or other material in there to clean up. I don't believe there's any evidence that there's sludge happening now, just some carbonaceous material being cleaned-up.

The SDS's are reasonably vague, but it looks like 60+% Group III for this particular 300V product:

PAO doesn't have any cleaning abilities; PAO has very poor solubility. Typical oils are formulated with detergents and dispersants to keep things clean; to prevent deposits from forming, they are not formulated to clean-up existing deposits.
"Carbonaceous" Now you have me wondering if the oil would work on firearms instead of solvents and wire brushing the bore?

"Carbonaceous" Now you have me wondering if the oil would work on firearms instead of solvents and wire brushing the bore?
They do make a gun CLP and a gun oil, lol.
Yes they do. I have not used it yet though.
IMG_20230421_212429734.jpg

Well, it spent its life on high quality oils, so it shouldn't have had any sludge, varnish or other material in there to clean up. I don't believe there's any evidence that there's sludge happening now, just some carbonaceous material being cleaned-up.

The SDS's are reasonably vague, but it looks like 60+% Group III for this particular 300V product:

PAO doesn't have any cleaning abilities; PAO has very poor solubility. Typical oils are formulated with detergents and dispersants to keep things clean; to prevent deposits from forming, they are not formulated to clean-up existing deposits.

I definitely don't put 15w60 in the Durango ;)

300v is well over 50 percent ester

I'll keep an eye out on mine and let you all know if I ever see any. So far the filter media look very normal.

Last edited:
I’ve gotten that carbonaceous stuff in my 3.6 Pentastar filters before on Pennzoil… but those were used vehicles with questionable records (one bought used with 40k owned privately, one bought used also with 40k owned by enterprise).

I am really digging HPL as a company. The only thing holding me back is warranty concerns paperwork etc. And also on our 2008 Crown Vic I'm a bit worried about seal leakage and due to the age of the car and hpl's great cleaning ability

I definitely don't put 15w60 in the Durango ;)

300v is well over 50 percent ester

I'll keep an eye out on mine and let you all know if I ever see any. So far the filter media look very normal.
I don't think we have any solid idea how much ester is in 300V. I just linked the first 300V SDS I could find, which torpedoes that theory. There are others. Without access to formulation information, we are really just guessing. Folks used to think Redline was majority ester as well until we saw SDS sheets that clearly indicated it was in fact majority PAO.

Last edited:
I am really digging HPL as a company. The only thing holding me back is warranty concerns paperwork etc. And also on our 2008 Crown Vic I'm a bit worried about seal leakage and due to the age of the car and hpl's great cleaning ability

With the high amount of ester and AN in HPL's oils, they'll condition the seals quite well. Leaks shouldn't be a concern.

60%+ Grp III for that pricetag?? 🤯🤯🤯

I’ve gotten that carbonaceous stuff in my 3.6 Pentastar filters before on Pennzoil…
As have I in filters from my Toyota on Pennzoil, albeit much much less of it. The carbonaceous particles were most obvious the time I used a filter through one change of TGMO, followed by one change of Rural King (=Warren Oil) synthetic, followed by the Pennzoil synthetic.

Still doesn't justify spending $60+ on 5 quarts of oil. I've used Marvel Mystery Oil for years and it does a fantastic job at cleaning.

My 4.6 at 180k miles is spotless under the head. Shiney. No oil staining or nothing. AND using Quaker State.

Back