Dodge Durango 3.6L - second run of HPL 5w-20 - 18,700 miles on oil - filter pictures at 6,700 mile change interval run from 152,000-158,700 miles

OH, c'mon now!
Some of this metrology equipment is so hyper precise the most seemingly innocuous things will alter their measurements. I’ve got scales at work that can measure the weight of a small piece of Teflon tape and other devices that measure down to 0.00000078”. It uses air bearings, temperature compensation on top of being in a precisely temp controlled room, and vibration dampening because it can detect and measure the vibrations in the floor from a machine 50ft away if it’s doing a heavy cut.

That was my thinking as well. In the ongoing use of HPL in my wife's Volvo XC (which is nearing 300,000 miles) I will continue to monitor/examine the filters at each change. I am curious to see when/if the carbon settles down as it has in Wayne's Durango.

The XC had a previous owner who changed it at the dealer until we bought it at 90,000 miles. The dealer, sadly, in those days, used bulk dino 5W30 (Castrol) which didn't meet specs. Many Volvos were ruined by Volvo NA not following the actual Volvo oil specs, and just using the 5W30 viscosity on an extended drain.

So, the engine in the Volvo had some deposits from that period in its life, and despite running on Mobil 0W40 and other Euro spec oils over the subsequent 200,000 miles, there are still some deposits in the engine. I suspect that it will take far longer to clean up than Wayne's Durango.
Look at the glass being half full! You know what your doing, what to expect to allow the way towards revival, and a plan going forward. Nothing good ever usually just happens but I wonder if the Synthetic Engine Cleaner might be in your future a long with some high pea fuel system cleaners to help get the ball running in the clean up phase? If you want, we can have my wife drive it as I know she will put the miles on the car lol. Hope you bring pictures to catalogue the process allow the way!!

Look at the glass being half full! You know what your doing, what to expect to allow the way towards revival, and a plan going forward. Nothing good ever usually just happens but I wonder if the Synthetic Engine Cleaner might be in your future a long with some high pea fuel system cleaners to help get the ball running in the clean up phase? If you want, we can have my wife drive it as I know she will put the miles on the car lol. Hope you bring pictures to catalogue the process allow the way!!
The car has a pretty clean fuel system. The fuel pump was replaced under a recall. @Trav rebuilt the injectors. It gets AMSOIL PI every 5,000 miles.

I didn’t document/photograph the engine when I had it apart to do the PCV system. It had a lot of carbon in the PCV, which suggests a lot of carbon in the crank case. That work was over ten years ago.

What’s interesting - the engine has been running very good synthetic oils (A3/B4 specification) for hundreds of thousands of miles - and had nothing in the filter.

After the switch to HPL, that carbon is in the filter.

I am left wondering how it looks inside now, and I may drop the sump on the next oil change to see what it looks like these days.

On a parallel track, the XC-90 has a crankcase filled with carbon. Not a gooey sludge, but hard carbon deposits. Dropped the sump to replace oil pump o rings. Spent hours yesterday cleaning it up. The PCV system passage was 80% blocked. So, I am glad I dropped the sump.

The XC-90 will get HPL, do a 2,000 mile highway run (to Vermont, Boston, and back) and I will change and examine the filter. I expect it will have a bunch of carbon in it.

IMG_2050.jpeg
IMG_2051.jpeg

@wwillson

how has your oil/cooler pedestal held up on the Pentastar?
I didn't have my happy face on when I realized someone at the dealer grossly over tightened the filter.

Last edited:
OI know you were, but there were serious comments in Wayne's previous thread that suggested HPL was the source of the carbon, and thus, the actual problem...
And yet the people who made those spurious claims had never bought/used HPL, nor could they point to anything in it that could cause those deposits in the presence of ANs or esters…

Back