Dodge Durango 3.6L - second run of HPL 5w-20 - 18,700 miles on oil - filter pictures at 6,700 mile change interval run from 152,000-158,700 miles

I wonder how your results will compared with HPL's own testing. Would they accept a sample from you to carry out their own analyses or testing. Just an idea!

I wonder how your results will compared with HPL's own testing. Would they accept a sample from you to carry out their own analyses or testing. Just an idea!
What would they test that an independent lab hasn't already tested? There is a reason all samples get sent to Wearcheck, as they have no horse in the race. @High Performance Lubricants could do the tests in their lab, but insists an independent lab is used for UOAs.

It's pretty simple. I see no sense in draining oil that is capable of more use. I am also a perpetual experimenter, so I experiment within rational bounds. We can see in the UOAs if the oil is spent and needs to be change, else it can continue in service.

My goal is to not waste oil, not change it so often (it's not as much fun as it used to be), and to learn with real data about how far this oil can allow me to safely extend change intervals. To me there is little risk in sensibly extending the OCIs.

I am also using the knowledge gained about HPL's extended drain capabilities to extend drain intervals on our farm machinery with very large sumps. I now trust HPL enough to extend OCIs on very expensive agricultural engines, which saves about $400 each year on each machine compared to rotely changing the oil every year or at 100 hours like we used to. Take $400x10/yr and pretty soon you're talking real money.
I wonder is a bypass filter system would be inline for your application, something that filtered smaller particles and extended you main oil filter life? I have though of using one myself.

@wwillson

Sorry if you’ve explained elsewhere.

Was the 5w20 HDEO a special request of HPL?

Why an HDEO compared to their other PCMO or Euro options?

Was the 5w20 HDEO a special request of HPL?
No, they have 5w20 HDEO in their lineup.

Why an HDEO compared to their other PCMO or Euro options?

Last edited:
Maybe HPL has finally cleaned up any residual/remaining carbon?
That was my thinking as well. In the ongoing use of HPL in my wife's Volvo XC (which is nearing 300,000 miles) I will continue to monitor/examine the filters at each change. I am curious to see when/if the carbon settles down as it has in Wayne's Durango.

The XC had a previous owner who changed it at the dealer until we bought it at 90,000 miles. The dealer, sadly, in those days, used bulk dino 5W30 (Castrol) which didn't meet specs. Many Volvos were ruined by Volvo NA not following the actual Volvo oil specs, and just using the 5W30 viscosity on an extended drain.

So, the engine in the Volvo had some deposits from that period in its life, and despite running on Mobil 0W40 and other Euro spec oils over the subsequent 200,000 miles, there are still some deposits in the engine. I suspect that it will take far longer to clean up than Wayne's Durango.

The test results are only good as the equipment calibration and sample preparation.

Agreed. Though similar equipment is used at HPL, their method for using them is more precise that what you get from common UOAs. They don't do used samples there for 3 good reasons. 1) They're busy with formula testing and adjusting, experimentation, and quality control so no time to run used samples. 2) They don't want to dirty up their equipment with used samples. (can't blame them) 3) They want to remain transparent through the process without any inclination of bias on their parts. In fact, when a UOA is sent to WearCheck with a CC to HPL, HPL doesn't receive the report until 5 hours after the customer received the report. The customer gets the results from the 3rd party lab before HPL does, just to ensure there's no bias in the process.

That said, HPL's blending equipment is more accurate, precise, and repeatable than any lab equipment. They've had to re-arrange their plant because the wind off the ceiling fan would throw off the scales on their 8,000 gallon blending tanks.

Last edited:
That said, HPL's blending equipment is more accurate, precise, and repeatable than any lab equipment. They've had to re-arrange their plant because the wind off the ceiling fan would throw off the scales on their 8,000 gallon blending tanks.

OH, c'mon now!

No, they have 5w20 HDEO in their lineup.

WWilson: I can’t find their 5w20 HDEO. I’ll keep looking.

Back