Dodge Durango 3.6L - second run of HPL 5w-20 - 23,500 miles on oil 4,800 miles on filter - holes in filter media

wwillson

Staff member
Previous filters run during this oil change interval can be found here:

The pictures below are from the fourth filter from the second run of HPL HDEO 5w-20. The oil now has accumulated 23,500 miles of use. HPL HDEO 5w-20 has been in use for a total of 51,900 miles, again this is the second run. The UOA has been sent in and the results will be posted when I get them back.

This is the second filter with no carbon chunks, so I believe it's safe to say the cleaning is done. No carbon could be scraped off like two filters ago. There was a smaller than usual amount of metallic flakes in this filter. In the bright sunlight the flakes are visible, but to a lesser extent than we have seen in the past.

This Fram Ultra did not have a screen backing the media.

IMG_3119.JPG

Much to my surprise I found that the crimp that joins the media ends to form the element was perforated the entire length of the crimp. Non-filtered oil certainly by-passed the media during the run of this filter. It appears that the crimp machine wasn't adjusted properly and punched holes in the media. This is the first time I have ever seen a Fram Ultra with a perforated crimp. It will be interesting to see if the UOA shows unusual wear metals. The new filter did not appear to have perforations at the crimp.

IMG_3114.JPG

IMG_3115.JPG

IMG_3116.JPG

IMG_3117.JPG

IMG_3118.JPG

FKIK4604.JPG

XZCC6514.JPG

CKTJ1635.JPG

Last edited:
Is the crimped area heat sealed or does it use a metal crimp? I started using OEM filters on the vehicles I service about a year ago as more and more filters posted here appear to be having issues. Very likely a small number of affected filters overall but quality control seems to have taken a nose dive.

Is the crimped area heat sealed or does it use a metal crimp? I started using OEM filters on the vehicles I service about a year ago as more and more filters posted here appear to be having issues. Very likely a small number of affected filters overall but quality control seems to have taken a nose dive.
IIRC, the process is a "plastic weld" where the blades Wayne is referencing, are hot, and supposed to melt the two pieces of media together, "welding" them. It seems that the blades cut through the media, and, it wasn't welded properly, likely pointing to an improper heat setting on the tool.

I took a Fram xg11665 out of the box at Walmart. Really not impressed. The end cap was at an extreme angle. I did buy the Fram Endurance and plan on running it for 15k in my Gladiator

Last edited:
I switched away from Purolator when they were "Tearlators". I switched away from Wix because people here were getting canisters with leaking crimps at the baseplate. Now I'll be switching away from Fram too.

Funny how the E-Core of all filters has become the most reliable option on the market.

Previous filters run during this oil change interval can be found here:

The pictures below are from the fourth filter from the second run of HPL HDEO 5w-20. The oil now has accumulated 23,500 miles of use. HPL HDEO 5w-20 has been in use for a total of 51,900 miles, again this is the second run. The UOA has been sent in and the results will be posted when I get them back.

This is the second filter with no carbon chunks, so I believe it's safe to say the cleaning is done. No carbon could be scraped off like two filters ago. There was a smaller than usual amount of metallic flakes in this filter. In the bright sunlight the flakes are visible, but to a lesser extent than we have seen in the past.

This Fram Ultra did not have a screen backing the media.

View attachment 175327

Much to my surprise I found that the crimp that joins the media ends to form the element was perforated the entire length of the crimp. Non-filtered oil certainly by-passed the media during the run of this filter. It appears that the crimp machine wasn't adjusted properly and punched holes in the media. This is the first time I have ever seen a Fram Ultra with a perforated crimp. It will be interesting to see if the UOA shows unusual wear metals. The new filter did not appear to have perforations at the crimp.

View attachment 175330
View attachment 175331
View attachment 175332
View attachment 175333
View attachment 175334
View attachment 175336
View attachment 175337
View attachment 175335
I admire the long OCI, it's eco friendly to the earth. Less waste oil to dispose of.
I've recently taken a tiny step in that direction, changing my OCI from 4k miles to 5k miles for each of my 4 vehicles.

I'm using a GM Dexos 1 Gen 3 approved oil, which has stricter limits for sludge and varnish causing deposots than regular API SP oils.

Last edited:
Thanks for the C&P. That is disappointing to see from what was such a promising rise for that brand. Do you plan on sending pics of that to Fram? I would send it to them and their parent company. Such as that is easily avoidable with a little attention to detail in production.

I don't think I'll be buying another Fram as long as this continues. There's plenty of other good quality synthetic filters on the market that are reliable.

There's plenty of other good quality synthetic filters on the market that are reliable.
Are there anymore though? The filter industry has largely been swallowed up by only a few key players and it seems like almost all of them have collectively tanked in quality in the past couple years.

Are there anymore though? The filter industry has largely been swallowed up by only a few key players and it seems like almost all of them have collectively tanked in quality in the past couple years.

Amsoil's filters are looking better recently. K&N's filters I'm seeing good results from abusive environments in racing and fleet use. Mobil 1 EP filters, while a blend, have always been pretty consistent.

IIRC, the process is a "plastic weld" where the blades Wayne is referencing, are hot, and supposed to melt the two pieces of media together, "welding" them. It seems that the blades cut through the media, and, it wasn't welded properly, likely pointing to an improper heat setting on the tool.
Makes one wonder if the same machine is used for the edurance and titanium filters.

Wow, I can’t believe we can actually see right through that crimp.

I usually love the Fram Ultra, but this is concerning. Their newer “better” filter doesn’t appear to be much better either...I took pictures of the glue they use for the end cap/filter bond, running down onto the filter media. Didn’t like seeing quality control like that.

nice run of 23,500 on the oil, curious to see the UOA!

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Fram? I chatted with an agent who said to send Fram an email with documentation to technicalhotline-at-firstbrandsgroup-dot-com. I sent them an email on August 28th and haven't heard anything back.

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Fram? I chatted with an agent who said to send Fram an email with documentation to technicalhotline-at-firstbrandsgroup-dot-com. I sent them an email on August 28th and haven't heard anything back.
Fram.com is where you got the phone number … ?

This is my “on deck” (Fram XG) filter with an M1 installed now …
I took an LED flashlight to it and see no issues …
Will just run 5k while looking around …
(and inspect the M1 after 10k)

IMG_7156.jpeg

Last edited:
Is that filter made in one of Fram's US plants, or was it made outside of the US?

For the past few years, Fram outsourced most cartridge filters to either South Korea or China manufacturing plants. Over the past few months, they appear to have a Brazilian manufacturing plant as well for cartridge filters.

Back