Dodge Durango 3.6L - second run of HPL 5w-20 - 28k miles on oil - filter pictures at 9.3k miles run from 158.7k-168k miles

@wwillson @BMWTurboDzl

I don't think oxidative thickening is present.

My hypothesis is that some of the carbon that was left behind is being solubilized and turned into a thicker but suspended black oil that is contributing to the increased viscosity.

HPL uses some of the most advanced anti-oxidants and dispersants available.
What happens to VII's when they can no longer respond to changes in temp?

Engines produce contaminants as well, and the dispersants and detergents are supposed to get them to the filter to be captured. On a run this long, I don't think it's unexpected to be able to see that. Couple that with perhaps still some cleaning taking place, and I don't see this as unusual at all.

I am pleased to see someone else go well beyond 20k miles on an OCI with a High Performance Lubricants oil.

This is what their oil is designed to do.

What is the thinking in removing oil filters so "soon" ?

What is the thinking in removing oil filters so "soon" ?
I started HPL at 111k miles and have had a bunch of carbon cleaned from the engine. When I realized how much junk was being cleaned from the engine, I started changing the filter at 5k miles. Now it seems safe to change the filter at 10k miles. You can find several of my threads here that show the carbon in filters.

HPL is running a MRV on this oil to see how the thickening is affecting the cold pumpability. The oil will have 31k miles on it soon and I'll make a decision based on MRV to change or not to change. MRV matters to me in this case, because the Durango is going to sit outside for a couple months this winter. Mr. Durango is most unhappy about getting kicked out of the heated garage.

HPL is running a MRV on this oil to see how the thickening is affecting the cold pumpability. The oil will have 31k miles on it soon and I'll make a decision based on MRV to change or not to change. MRV matters to me in this case, because the Durango is going to sit outside for a couple months this winter. Mr. Durango is most unhappy about getting kicked out of the heated garage.
I cannot wait to see the results!

The MRV (ASTM D4684) came back at 48,141 and the limit for 5w oils is 60,000 @ -35C

This oil is still within 5w spec, so it will stay in the sump and I'll pull a sample in 5k miles.

The oil now has 31,000 miles. I took a few more pictures with my bore scope to see how clean the internals are.

IMG_20231206220507.jpg

IMG_20231206220517.jpg

IMG_20231206220528.jpg

IMG_20231206220549.jpg

IMG_20231206220558.jpg

Don't do it!

How much carbonaceous stuff did you find in the first filter?

1702151796926.jpeg

1702152009303.jpeg

Some but not much. Would you be willing to run the oil to 15k miles, then send a sample in?

Some but not much. Would you be willing to run the oil to 15k miles, then send a sample in?
The oil will have been in a year this coming Jan 30th. To get to 15k would be another year at my annual mileage.

I would like to try that. Do you think that's ok on an initial run? First filter was a fram ultra, second filter was a fram endurance. The endurance was wire backed.

If i go longer, i'm not inclined to do anymore filter changes, as it does not seem loaded at all.

The oil will have been in a year this coming Jan 30th. To get to 15k would be another year at my annual mileage.

I would like to try that. Do you think that's ok on an initial run? First filter was a fram ultra, second filter was a fram endurance. The endurance was wire backed.
Yes, I do think it's ok to run another year.

The Charger is coming up on 3 years and 16k, miles. I'll sample around Jan 1, which will be 3 years to the day. At 27.5 months the TBN was still 6.2

We have a very expensive tractor engine that is coming up on 2 years with HPL in the sump with 250 hours and the TBN is still 16.6

I’m at 10,000 miles on this HPL change. Part of me wants to change it, part of me says ride it out another 3 months to go a full year then send off a sample 🤔 curious to see how it is because the HEMI is kind of a dirty engine.

I’m at 10,000 miles on this HPL change. Part of me wants to change it, part of me says ride it out another 3 months to go a full year then send off a sample 🤔 curious to see how it is because the HEMI is kind of a dirty engine.
When switching over is sampling necessary?

Back