Dodge Durango 3.6L - second run of HPL 5w-20 - 12,000 miles on oil - filter pictures at 5,000 mile change interval run from 147,000 - 152,000 miles

wwillson

Staff member
The first filter from this second run of HPL HDEO 5w-20 is here:

I have stated that I will change the filter every 5,000 miles until the filter no longer accumulates carbon that is being cleaned from the engine internals. When I pulled this filter, it looked pretty clean and I almost put the filter back in (cartridge) and continued to run, but decided to cut it and inspect so we could get a close-up of what the filter has collected. I always take the cut filter out in the sun so we can get a close-up in good light.

At first look, the filter looks pretty clean and we don't see the large chunks as we did in the past.
IMG_2242.JPG

However, when I was handling the media to get some pictures, black sticky carbon was coming off on my thumbs.
IMG_2246.JPG

When I looked closer at the filter, I could see the fine carbon that the filter had collected. The arrows point at the thicker build-ups in the filter, but if you look close, you'll see that the whole element has this fine particle carbon build-up.

IMG_2243.JPG

I scraped some with a knife and found the filter is actually pretty loaded.

IMG_2248.JPG

I scraped the carbon of on to my finger and found that you could make a ball out of it.

IMG_2249.JPG

IMG_2250.JPG

This HPL oil is still cleaning, so I will continue to change the filter at 5,000 miles and report back.

I have stated that I will change the filter every 5,000 miles until the filter no longer accumulates carbon that is being cleaned from the engine internals. When I pulled this filter, it looked pretty clean and I almost put the filter back in (cartridge) and continued to run, but decided to cut it and inspect so we could get a close-up of what the filter has collected. I always take the cut filter out in the sun so we can get a close-up in good light.

At first look, the filter looks pretty clean and we don't see the large chunks as we did in the past.
View attachment 151661

However, when I was handling the media to get some pictures, black sticky carbon was coming off on my thumbs.
View attachment 151662

When I looked closer at the filter, I could see the fine carbon that the filter had collected. The arrows point at the thicker build-ups in the filter, but if you look close, you'll see that the whole element has this fine particle carbon build-up.

View attachment 151660

View attachment 151663

I scraped the carbon of on to my finger and found that you could make a ball out of it.

View attachment 151664

View attachment 151665

This HPL oil is still cleaning, so I will continue to change the filter at 5,000 miles and report back.

Really solid post. I thank you. Do you have a complete history of the vehicle? Sorry if I missed that in a previous post.

This appears to be the same consistency and makeup as the "paste" I found in the bottom of the filter that came off our 1500. That filter is still wicking, I'm very interested to see if I find similar in the media, though it being an EaO, that's going to be more difficult with the synthetic media, as it will be "in" the media rather than on the media.

Ive run ester 300v, ravenol EFS in it. My engine is not sludged so sludge doesn't show up though it does only have 35k miles

Last edited:
He didn't either, up until he started to use HPL.

My RAM 1500 also showed this carbonaceous material in its filters and it spent its entire life on M1 EP 0W-20.

So we don't know if his engine started sludging after HPL use or the hpl use freed up sludge? Did he go crazy intervals on the hpl or on the m1 EP?

I'd have thought sludge would be from extended intervals on an oil not designed for it but M1 EP at 10k mile intervals should have been fine.

I use Motul 300v and ravenol EFS have large doses of cleaning agents and I've been spared any sludging but I do 5k mile changes.

interesting seeing nonetheless

So we don't know if his engine started sludging after HPL use or the hpl use freed up sludge? Did he go crazy intervals on the hpl or on the m1 EP?
His previous filters were all clean. I'm the one who was running M1 EP, not him. My previous filters were all clean as well.
I'd have thought sludge would be from extended intervals on an oil not designed for it but M1 EP at 10k mile intervals should have been fine.
He wasn't running M1 EP, he was using AFE 0W-30 and a 10W-30 HDEO, depending on the season.
I use Motul 300v and ravenol EFS have large doses of cleaning agents and I've been spared any sludging but I do 5k mile changes.

interesting seeing nonetheless
All oils have detergents, it's high volumes of AN's and Esters that do the cleaning. I'm not sure how much ester content 300V actually has.

His previous filters were all clean. I'm the one who was running M1 EP, not him. My previous filters were all clean as well.

He wasn't running M1 EP, he was using AFE 0W-30 and a 10W-30 HDEO, depending on the season.

All oils have detergents, it's high volumes of AN's and Esters that do the cleaning. I'm not sure how much ester content 300V actually has.

Gotcha so we still don't know if his engine has started sludging now or was sludged before. His oils used and intervals may attest to that.

300v is ester based. Ive heard way over 50 percent potentially 70 who knows. Ravenol EFS is poa based as well but that doesn't mean it cleans any less. Obviously I don't want to be pouring just cleaners in the engine though hehe

View attachment 151661

View attachment 151662

View attachment 151660

View attachment 151663

View attachment 151664

View attachment 151665

Did you scrape the filter when you were using the non-HPL oil? I'm asking because this could just be normal.

Gotcha so we still don't know if his engine has started sludging now or was sludged before. His oils used and intervals may attest to that.
Well, it spent its life on high quality oils, so it shouldn't have had any sludge, varnish or other material in there to clean up. I don't believe there's any evidence that there's sludge happening now, just some carbonaceous material being cleaned-up.
300v is ester based. Ive heard way over 50 percent potentially 70 who knows. Ravenol EFS is poa based as well but that doesn't mean it cleans any less. Obviously I don't want to be pouring just cleaners in the engine though hehe
The SDS's are reasonably vague, but it looks like 60+% Group III for this particular 300V product:

PAO doesn't have any cleaning abilities; PAO has very poor solubility. Typical oils are formulated with detergents and dispersants to keep things clean; to prevent deposits from forming, they are not formulated to clean-up existing deposits.

Back