Car and Drivers 2014 Corvette grenaded engine....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rjundi
This seems to be a good case for dealer oil changes.

Imagine if you were the BITOGer using the fancy aftermarket filter with the best Synthetic and this happened. I doubt Chevy warranty nor oil filter maker would own up to it without a lawyer involved.

At 6000 miles they would never refuse on a Corvette. Even if you ran the FF to 6000 you would still be inside the correct OCI.

It's hard to tell from the articles if the car had 6000 miles or if Car & Driver put 6000 miles on it themselves.

They're saying bad oil filter,and that a piece of metal was allowed through the filter,BUT,where did that piece of metal come from,and what made it break loose from the internals to be able to reach the oil filter? I call b.s. on blaming the oil filter.

Should GM step up to a 50 weight on their highest performance car like Ford?

How is this the oil filters fault?

What was said metal particle doing in the oil anyways? Something had a problem.

It's nice to see that this issue will be handled at least in part in the public eye. This car was apparently driven in a manner that was intended and there would no reason to change the oil until the OLM indicated that it was time. Because of the public nature of this problem there might be an expedited response and we know for a fact that GM has all the in house resources to determine the cause. If the oil filter is part of the problem this might lead to a remedy that would benefit everyone.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
FRAM/Champion/UCI marketing slogan - "A filter so complete, it brings its own damaging debris."

It just gets better and better, doesn't it.

If I had one of those newfangled Corvettes, I'd be putting a Wix/NAPA Gold on it tomorrow.

Poor QC will catch up with you no matter the purported efficiency of your media.

From the article (bold added by me):

"What’s to blame? A bad oil filter – probably – that allowed a piece of metal to make its way down to the connecting-rod bearing."

Probably???? That's some mighty fine scientific method there, Mark. How do you know the metal didn't originate somewhere else, including somewhere AFTER the oil filter?

Way to place the cart before the horse there, Silver, as usual.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Is C&D really running this thing all the way up to 7500 mile oil changes? Especially with all of the "testing" that they are surely performing on this car?

They should be able to run it up to what the OLM says. The OLM should account for more severe driving. If the OLM is mis-programmed, then that's something. It wouldn't be the first time that an automaker (including Chevrolet) has re-programmed an OLM, and it probably wouldn't be the last. I think there are OLMs that SHOULD be re-programmed but haven't been (Honda, I'm talkin' to you here, with your VCM V-6).

In the article in C&D, they were like... we still took it in for an oil change at 7500 miles, even though it only had 1300 on the oil... and then we took it in again at 15000.

It would appear that they're not following any sort of an OLM, and are going strictly by the odometer.

"Our car was returned quickly and as healthy as new, but—just to be safe—we sent the car back to the dealer after 1300 engine miles for its first scheduled service at 7500 overall miles. The stop included an oil-and-filter change and inspection for $57.28.

The car returned to the dealer at 15,100 miles for an identical scheduled service..."

More than likely the engine was defective from the get go, likely a bearing clearance issue...it happens.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Anyone else notice it said "LT1" engine? Aren't those from the 90's? I thought GM was on the LSx generation now??

The Gen V DI GM small blocks are back to LT.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
No real data, only conjecture.

Bottom Line up to now^

Easy to speculate that theySpun a bearing during frisky driving,then loaded the engine with debris. Typical engine lunch.
Remember at high rpm, on/off throttle you will pulse the bypass and let any accumulated junk have great a chance of getting pumped through the oiling system galleries (right into the mains and rod bigs). If this was BEFORE their first service they would have many grams of metal in the filter and circulating in the system. Add this to what I would guess is less than 0.9mil pressurized bearing running clearance and it all happened in milliseconds.

Now my new Nissan is knocking at odd times with 1100 miles - should I keep the FF and change the filter? This is a normally super silky running engine with good bottom end torque.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Easy to speculate that theySpun a bearing during frisky driving,then loaded the engine with debris. Typical engine lunch.
Remember at high rpm, on/off throttle you will pulse the bypass and let any accumulated junk have great a chance of getting pumped through the oiling system galleries (right into the mains and rod bigs). If this was BEFORE their first service they would have many grams of metal in the filter and circulating in the system. Add this to what I would guess is less than 0.9mil pressurized bearing running clearance and it all happened in milliseconds.

Now my new Nissan is knocking at odd times with 1100 miles - should I keep the FF and change the filter? This is a normally super silky running engine with good bottom end torque.

Arco- I told ya didn't I! Those new Nissans (built by Renault) are junk... Our versa knocked from day one until they replaced the engine at 7500 miles and then started the same noise again at 21k miles... the 1.6 is an utter failure imo...

This wouldn't be the first GM engine affected by bad rod bearings, remember the turbos in the Regal?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Should have kept the Fit
wink.gif

Pretty sure its the Chinese oil filter - have you seen one cut open with the element still in the can? There is almost ZERO clearance for the oil to get by the paper end caps. Been having oiling problems since the early 2000's that's why I joined here. Pretty much isolated it to the oil filter -

They recommended doing oil changes more regularly and using aftermarket filters.

Suggests they were on factory AC Delco filter and maybe factory fill still.

I'm sure the Corvette factory engine guys were quick to tear it down and do a thorough, careful assessment.

Is the factory fill still Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back