High Mileage accomplishment cheat?

One way to do it is while working from home, shop at the Costco that’s 50 miles away, instead of 5 😂

Costco must have numbers on how much wfh has benefited them. I’ve often said it’s impossible to be lined up to the freezer section on a work day, ie a % of folks here are on co time (I’m on lunch). Go to Walmart same time, empty. Their customers are at work.

IMO 300k auto=headache & you are better off running what you have up to 300k. Unless you find a newer all highway car w/records for decent money.

This. In my experience it starts getting a bit hairy at 200k miles. At this mileage random stuff is just flat out worn out and breaks. My daily driver is at 200k miles and if I could afford it I’d be driving something with lower miles on it. Driving a 300k mile car for the sake of it sounds like you’re just looking for an excuse to be wrenching on a car on the weekends. If you want a 300k mile car just expect headaches lol.

This. In my experience it starts getting a bit hairy at 200k miles. At this mileage random stuff is just flat out worn out and breaks. My daily driver is at 200k miles and if I could afford it I’d be driving something with lower miles on it. Driving a 300k mile car for the sake of it sounds like you’re just looking for an excuse to be wrenching on a car on the weekends. If you want a 300k mile car just expect headaches lol.
Yes, I agree with this. 200K is the old 100K. At 200K big things start to go. You have to be committed to keep it going after that point, big dollar things. Its why most end up in the dust bin. Unwilling to pay or DIY for a heater core / timing chain / whatever

Just me but if you haven't owned the vehicle since new its not quite like YOU took it to 300k!? Or, at least be in your immediate family. Maybe I'm wrong on this one.

Just me but if you haven't owned the vehicle since new its not quite like YOU took it to 300k!? Or, at least be in your immediate family. Maybe I'm wrong on this one.
I think there is some leeway. If you bought it well under 100K miles, I think its pretty legit.

Now if you buy something today with 250K miles - definitely a cheat.

Good thought pattern either way!

Remember the guy with the 5-million-mile Volvo? You could always just do like what he did - he'd get up each morning, pick a place several hundred miles away, and he'd drive there for lunch and then head home. It helped that he was a teacher and had summers off (and later when he was retired he could do it every day).

If you're going to do it with the Honda Fit, you're probably going to enjoy this thread: Spoiler, the guy almost made it to 600K but one night he drive through a flooded viaduct and hydrolocked the engine.

I think there is some leeway. If you bought it well under 100K miles, I think its pretty legit.

Now if you buy something today with 250K miles - definitely a cheat.

Good thought pattern either way!

A cheat? As someone who has taken a previously randomly-owned vehicle from 250k past 300k, let me tell you, it ain't easy! Lol

This whole thread is silly. I would trade any of my high miles vehicles for low mileage examples in equal condition, as would any rational person. More miles = more problems.

So, if I understand correctly, the OP wants to "own" a car with 300k+ on it. And rather than drive one of his cars to that marker, he's considering purchasing one? Most folks want to earn their way to the 300k mark, but that's not a requirement, obviously.

IMO there is low risk in this. Why? Because if all he wants to do is "own" a car with that many miles, then he should go buy one, set it in the driveway, and brag about his high-mileage vehicle. Of course, he didn't earn it, but the title states he's OK with "cheating" his way there. He's already got two decent Hondas that are daily drivers; put continued maintenance in those and keep them road worthy.

Buy the high-mileage car and just let it sit around; there's not much risk of a car failing when it's just sitting. Maintenance costs are pretty much zero for a stationary car. Buy the cheapest one you can find that can haul it's sorry self to your driveway, park it and ignore it.

Problem solved.

My beat up Accord has over 200k miles and drives fine. It is due for timing belt and water pump and I need to ask around if the 100k/10 year thing is too conservative because I just replaced my Fit m’s serpentine belt at 170k and it looks good enough to go another 50k+ miles. And the Accord’s serpentine belt looks good too with 90k miles on it.

The Fit’s spark plugs lasted 171k miles but one one of them popped and put the car in limp mode so I replaced all 4. That was completely my fault as I completely forgot about it since I can’t get to them and needed to have it done by a mechanic with thr right tools to get around the back of the engine. Otherwise, I would have done it at 125k. No engine damage. Other than that, maintenance is done as needed. 175k now and the engine sounds great with full synthetic since new.

You know what, I am going to start feeding it Penzoil Ultra and make it a mission to take this Fit to 300k miles. I may give it some planning and just have this ensured as our main vehicle and share it with the spouse. Let’s see how much taking the Accord off the policy saves as it is nice to have a vehicle in case I do need to run into the office 40 miles away and can’t make it back to pick up the young in and thr spouse needs a car to cover thst.

If your seriously interested in doing this why no do delivery service or professional courier service or something, at least you would get paid.
Looking but most don’t pay even 1/6 of what I make. A medical body parts delivery gig pays well but you have to know someone and that would only pay 1/2 of what I make even with the mileage reimbursement. Best gig I had was being field engineer and they paid for thr traveling miles. I paid off the Fit within 18 months with the mileage reimbursement but only had thst assignment for 2 years.

You have to earn your way into the club.
Absolutely!! I got like five people waiting to buy our Hondas. Mileage doesn't scare me if I know the owner and that being me, I'm just looking to see 400,000 and I'm sure a lot of other people are as well. a couple automotive lubricant companies have taken some interest in this car already.

20240119_134937.jpg

20231121_094014.jpg

Screenshot_20230907_152939_Samsung Internet.jpg

20210430_203316.jpg

20231201_192322.jpg

You know what, I am going to start feeding it Penzoil Ultra and make it a mission to take this Fit to 300k miles.
I say go for it! You'll get there before I do but I'll catch up eventually. I bought my Fit fourteen months ago with a little under 22K miles but I am now over 40K since I am using it as my daily driver. It's funny I have nearly doubled its mileage in just 14 months but it shows how little the previous owner (an old lady) drove it.

I say go for it! You'll get there before I do but I'll catch up eventually. I bought my Fit fourteen months ago with a little under 22K miles but I am now over 40K since I am using it as my daily driver. It's funny I have nearly doubled its mileage in just 14 months but it shows how little the previous owner (an old lady) drove it.
giving out and driving a vehicle is good for it. I tell people who have low mileage cars get out once a week and just put the cruise control at 80 mph or whatever the legal limit is and take 30 or 45 minutes and blow the crud out of the car. cars that haven't been driven and sit a lot even with low mileage are the ones that usually have the most problems

giving out and driving a vehicle is good for it. I tell people who have low mileage cars get out once a week and just put the cruise control at 80 mph or whatever the legal limit is and take 30 or 45 minutes and blow the crud out of the car. cars that haven't been driven and sit a lot even with low mileage are the ones that usually have the most problems
That is why I do except it is 85 mph or what ever the legal speed limit is plus 10 unless it is 25 mph and stay with the flow of traffic for 50+ miles. I do that on weekend and it is 50+ miles to thr first destination and a few shorter mid-destination with some pause in between and then a nice 60 miles jaunt at midnight home goijg 80+ mph for 2-3 mins intervals whenever traffic permits inside express way where speed limit isn’t as enforced but rather toll/hov cheat is. I got 3 people so we take it whenever we can.

As someone who has three vehicles over 300,000 miles (including one that's approaching 500K) I'm not sure at all what you're asking here? What is it you want again?

There is a European indu shop about 8 miles away and they have a lot of Bimmers on the lot. That place has to have been there 20+ years and possibly longer. It likely has a lot more work than it can handle but I assume the vehicle owners have other vehicles to use while their Bimmers and European cars stay in the shop for a few days.

Part of me love Honda for use of maintenance. And American muscle/sport cars aren’t that bad to upkeep and isn’t as boring as most Japanese cars.

If Dodge didn’t have the Hemi ticks and oil starvation at idle, I would get a Challenger Scat Pack in a heart beat.
low mileage 97-04 C5 & 05-13 C6 Chevy Corvettes are plentyful and can be had for under $20k.
I bought an 02 auto coupe last Feb w/60k and drive it daily and back and forth between or 2 home that are 1000 miles apart.
I'm a DIYer and none of our cars have seen a shop for mx or repairs. None have ever been on a hook either.

For those no longer required to drive a lot for work and not enough opportunities to drive for leisure, is there a faster way to achieve high mileage trophy?

I want to have a vehicle with 300k+ and I have two vehicle that can get there but not anytime soon. My 2002 Accord V6 is at 220k and is due to timing belt and water pump soon. It is a true beater but the engine is in great shape. My Fit is perfect at 175k miles and won’t need any costly repair and maintenance and major rerouting maintenance such as spark plugs, brakes, serpentine belt, ATF oil and filter were done within 5k miles. And it is the vehicle ohh used daily but only racking up 15 miles daily and about 150 weekend during May/June to December and only 30 miles durijg January to May as it is used for work durijg weekend instead of leisure.

And now I am due for another new car as I tend to buy an extra vehicle every 10 years and I am on year 12th without a new car. Part of me want a new car bad and that itch has been building up for 6 years and discipline prevails. But part of me wants to take the Fit to 300k miles.

We have 2 adult drivers and a student driver and total family annual mile is between 10k-15k miles split 60/40 with the Fit driven more due to much better fuel economy and the great utility of the hatchback.

So do I dare getting a 300k used vehicle and deal with potential headaches? I don’t think I know cars enough to detect hidden problems from test drive and transmission health is much harder to detect especially since most people don’t change ATF.

Unfortunately, I am not a confident stick driver to buy one to minimize transmission concern. And I am most likely will do the timing belt and water pump for the Accord one more and that is it. The poor fuel economy, being 2-door, and major dints and bumper and hood damage just don’t make it ideal for keeping part 300k miles. I escaped the auto transmission concern with short 30k OCI but I should have gotten a I4 instead of V6 to avoid the costly timing belt and water pump maintenance items.
Why would you? Cost? Desire to continually conduct repair/replacement? Be afraid to take the vehicle on a road trip? I can understand “driving the wheels off” a newly purchased car that has the options you want and is what you want to be in. Own three vehicles each with well over 120k and purchased new by me. I know their history and like them. Otherwise, they’re just a used car. As to “high mileage trophy”, what are you talking about? The logo that Volvo and Benz used to award for 150k miles and beyond? Honda doesn’t offer them.

Back