Modern Turbo Engine Reliability and Durability

Depends on the manufacturer, some seem to be better than others. But I feel like overall they're pretty good. Our CX-9 is T-GDI and I keep the oil change intervals to 4-5,000 with a well-priced synthetic. It's currently at 74K and runs beautifully. Will do either EC or BG EPR soon to give the rings/etc a good cleaning. I've thought about using the Gumout DI cleaning spray as well, just need to research a bit more first.

As a technology it is reliable if build right. The problem is usually when the manufacturer cut corners or release half baked products, or kids adding aftermarket turbo on a stock engine without rebuilding with stronger parts and then tune it too aggressively.

Like everything else in automotive, really depends on who build it for what price. Some can build wonderfully reliable CVT and hybrid, while others can't even get a basic 4 cylinder automatic to work 100k miles without grenading. Don't buy the worst and don't buy the most aggressive bleeding edge, and you will likely have a good chance of a reliable one.

Two Honda turbocharged 165hp jet skis, both 2006 models used regularly. No issues. Change oil and plugs every year.

UOAs on my Mazdaspeed 3 running M1 5W-30 revealed that a 7,500 mile OCI was conservative.

People fall all over themselves for turbodiesels for perceived reliability. But in a gas engine, suddenly the turbo is a major concern and is going to 100% fail by 50k miles. I never understood that.

Modern turbos aren't only oil cooled any more. They often have coolant lines and the vehicle's cooling system is either designed to thermosiphon coolant through it after shutdown or has an auxiliary water pump to keep coolant circulating. That's pretty good if you ask me!

People fall all over themselves for turbodiesels for perceived reliability. But in a gas engine, suddenly the turbo is a major concern and is going to 100% fail by 50k miles. I never understood that.

Modern turbos aren't only oil cooled any more. They often have coolant lines and the vehicle's cooling system is either designed to thermosiphon coolant through it after shutdown or has an auxiliary water pump to keep coolant circulating. That's pretty good if you ask me!
Heck all my 80's turbo Dodges had coolant running to the bearing as well.

Turbos will last a very long time with good oil and a good air filter. The worst thing you can do to a turbo is high egts (towing with a heavy foot, or climbing mountains)
The 1.9 TDIs if tuned can hit 1800f egts. Turbos don't last long once you hold them above 1200 or so

Drive gentle for the first and last 5 minutes of your drive and your turbo will be happier.

I’ve had at least 10 Turbocharged cars since the 80’s and only lost one Turbo. It was on a ‘91 Dodge Spirit R/T with a very low production engine. Currently have 6 turbos plated on 4 vehicles. Other than proper maintenance, there’s no special treatment. I will say that it’s shocking how good and lag free the lag free the newer stuff is. My 150,000 mile ‘15 2.7 F150 tows and drives at much lower rpm than any of my previous V8 trucks. As It Turns out, Boost is a good replacement for displacement.

350K on my Impreza CVT so YMMV.
Do not misunderstand, our CVT was good too, no problems. The '17 Crosstrek ran better than new when she traded it - I said it was a good car but she wanted a change - back to basically the same thing after trying a new base Indiana Outback (local new dealer was selling them discounted only one grand more than a mid -trim MT Crosstrek! mid epidemic) but loosing a couple grand in the two transactions.

All turbo-charged engines are wonderfully reliable.
Anyone who says otherwise is a bold-faced liar.
Please.

All NA engines are wonderfully reliable, right? Like, oh, I don't know, say, Hyundai?

The "turbo fear" runs rampant amongst those who have never owned a turbo.

Properly engineered, properly maintained, engines are reliable, whether NA or forced induction.

Back