Your new car is watching you and collecting data

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023

New models from Toyota, Chevrolet and Ford are collecting driver data and sharing it with carmakers.

Your new car doesn’t exactly know where you’re going, but it certainly knows where you’ve been. And it’s sharing all your sensitive data with carmakers like Ford, Toyota, and Chevrolet — as well as shady third parties in certain cases, according to Wired. Modern cars have come to rival smartphones in terms of data collection, reportedly producing up to 25 gigabytes of data per hour.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL ARTICLE

Your new car doesn’t exactly know where you’re going, but it certainly knows where you’ve been. And it’s sharing all your sensitive data with carmakers like Ford, Toyota, and Chevrolet — as well as shady third parties in certain cases, according to Wired.
Why do you mean "YOU" or "YOU'RE"? The car doesn't know WHO is driving.

How is all of this data being transmitted to the manufacturers if you choose not to subscribe to their telematics service?

Ford feels the need to put a warning pop up message on the display to remind me. I don’t care I like the convenience of the FordPass app and I am not very interesting anyway, anyone spying on me will be really bored. 😛

Why do you mean "YOU" or "YOU'RE"? The car doesn't know WHO is driving.
The data includes things like drivers’ full names, addresses, phone numbers, emails, and license numbers ...

As well as information about who you are, Toyota can also collect your “driving behavior.” B]

Some models of Toyota can also scan your face for face recognition when you enter one of its vehicles.
As a starter, GM collects people’s identifiers, such as names, postal addresses, and email addresses.

The documents also say data “from camera images and sensor data, voice command information, stability control or anti-lock events, security/theft alerts, and infotainment (including radio and rear-seat infotainment) system and Wi-Fi data usage” can be collected. The company can also receive “information about your home energy usage,” which relates to the charging and discharging of electric vehicles.

Last edited:
Likely work for other Toyota's also

And this is why I stick to old cars and will be driving my 2002 Toyota and 2003 Chevy for as long as possible. But the reality is eventually there will come a time where there is no choice, welcome to the beginning of the future.

And this is why I stick to old cars and will be driving my 2002 Toyota and 2003 Chevy for as long as possible. But the reality is eventually there will come a time where there is no choice, welcome to the beginning of the future.
Those are "old"?

Built in NAV systems are the culprits, they record 15 seconds of in-cabin comms at all times, if your air bags deploy, everyone hears why in court. They ALWAYS listen, just waiting for you to command it to "find the nearest tacobell to me"

Those are "old"?

Built in NAV systems are the culprits, they record 15 seconds of in-cabin comms at all times, if your air bags deploy, everyone hears why in court. They ALWAYS listen, just waiting for you to command it to "find the nearest tacobell to me"
If you want to get technical the technology in the 4.3 is old, which also aids in it being one the most reliable V6 engines ever made.

The Toyota, well that thing is sensor after sensor, VVT, etc, but neither of them are "modern" or "new" by todays standards.

GM started doing crash data reporters in the 90s IDK about Toyota but your “old” car can still tattle on you.

GM started doing crash data reporters in the 90s IDK about Toyota but your “old” car can still tattle on you.
Yea no it can't, it holds no such data.

On top of that crash data has nothing to do with location, name, address, phone numbers, email, license numbers, facial recognition, etc, are you going try and tell my my 2002 and 2003 Toyota and Chevy store that data? lol.

I used to have the "Snapshot" from Progressive Ins. plugged into the car's OBD to lower car insurance. It gathers data of how you drive

Back