2013 Ford Fusion Breaks Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2002 Maxima SE
I was doing some more research this week on the 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid. This is the first hybrid (at least for Ford) that will be completely belt less. The water pump, oil pump, and all accessories (a/c) will be driven electrically. I think this is amazing (and a bit scary). I've been following BMW who now runs a belt less oil pump and don't seem to be running into any problems. It seems like replacement would be much easier but also more expensive.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1071...troit-auto-show

Why would the oil pump be electric? Oil pumps are normally driven directly off of the crank with no belts involved.

Quote from the article: "The engine is the first one from Ford that is entirely "beltless," with no power takeoffs of any kind and all accessories--not only the air-conditioning compressor, but even the water pump--run on electric power."

I've been running an aftermarket electric water pump in my Mustang for years, with OEM quality control that doesn't scare me in the least.

I'm assuming the BMW electric oil pump is an external pump for a dry sump? That's the only way it would make any sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back