2013 Ford Fusion Breaks Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford's Duratec V-6's have always been smooth, advanced V-6's. those saying they are 'stupid' engines are truely clueless!

Absolutely no reason to get rid of them, just an idiotic move to make themselves look 'green'.

Ford can keep this, and the new 4-cylinder-only Escape. In a couple of years I'll buy a used 2012 Escape V-6, and keep that for 6-7 years.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
It looks good, but they must be running out of ideas if they have to lift the grill and pretty much most of the front fascia from Aston Martin.

Historically ford has copied other car makers more than most (Lincoln = RR, Granada = MB, Taurus = Audi 5000 etc.) so now it's Aston Martin's turn.

I never liked that last 2 versions of the tempo, I mean fusion. I like the light colored fusion with the dark grille. The chrome grille detracts from the car.

Originally Posted By: JOD
instead, we get "big on the outside, small on the inside" vehicles like the Edge. No thanks. Such a shame, because it's a nice-looking car inside and out, and looks even better in wagon form.

From those that have seen the car in person reports are that the '13 Fusion feels as roomy or roomier than the new Taurus.

Compared to the current Fusion the '13 is 1" longer, 5" longer wheelbase with 2 more cubic feet inside. Check out the back seat leg room.

400218_260092907389452_112397758825635_654987_399159115_n.jpg

395779_10150582410820049_22166130048_11176161_769113420_n.jpg

2013+Ford+Fusion+105.JPG

2013+Ford+Fusion+113.JPG

2013+Ford+Fusion+068.JPG

2013-ford-fusion-rear-three-quarter-motion.jpg

2013+Ford+Fusion+079.JPG

2013-Ford-Fusion-rear-seats.jpg

Originally Posted By: Burt
Historically ford has copied other car makers more than most (Lincoln = RR, Granada = MB, Taurus = Audi 5000 etc.) so now it's Aston Martin's turn.

I'll grant you the Granada/Benz and 80's TC/Rolls connection, beyond that nonsense.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
From those that have seen the car in person reports are that the '13 Fusion feels as roomy or roomier than the new Taurus.

Compared to the current Fusion the '13 is 1" longer, 5" longer wheelbase with 2 more cubic feet inside. Check out the back seat leg room.

2013+Ford+Fusion+105.JPG

2013+Ford+Fusion+079.JPG

The side view looks like Hyundai Sonata.
The front seats moved backward when the front room picture was taken, then moved up in the rear picture. Cheap tricks.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The side view looks like Hyundai Sonata.

Negative, the Fusion side view looks like the last gen Mondeo which came out 3 years before the Sonata.

Quote:
The front seats moved backward when the front room picture was taken, then moved up in the rear picture. Cheap tricks.

Proof?

Originally Posted By: Burt

I'll grant you the Granada/Benz and 80's TC/Rolls connection, beyond that nonsense.

I read a book about the development of the Taurus ("Taurus" by Eric Taub) and the Audi 5000 was apparently Ford's benchmark for the first Taurus. Not a bad benchmark for the time at all. Ford has also come up with a great deal of very original designs and ideas though, and their vehicles have been used as benchmarks by other brands. The first Tundra was very clearly influenced by the F-150...IIRC Ford actually took Toyota to court to keep them from calling it the T-150.

I'm not really sure what I think of this new Fusion though. I can't say I love it right away. Some styling cues do look like they came from Hyundai/Kia, and while the front does remind me of an Aston, it also reminds me of a catfish. The interior looks pretty nice though. I don't know about the lack of a V6 either. It's not like a car of that size has to have one, but it would be a nice option especially with some of the great V6s Ford has been offering lately.

Also, I hate the continuing trend of putting mirrors on the door sheetmetal instead of the corner of the a-piller when it isn't necessary. It looks good on older cars, not so much with chunky modern mirrors. I think it just looks better for the mirror to be mounted at the end of the window.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Some styling cues do look like they came from Hyundai/Kia, and while the front does remind me of an Aston, it also reminds me of a catfish.

That's because a lot of Hyundai/Kia's current design language was lifted from Ford of Europe's "kinetic design". The new Fusion follows the kinetic theme.

2007 Ford Mondeo
2011-Ford-Mondeo-Wallpaper.jpg

2010 Hyundai Sonata
1002_18_z+2011_hyundai_sonata+side_view.jpg

2013 Ford Fusion
2013Fusionside.png

Quote:
The interior looks pretty nice though. I don't know about the lack of a V6 either. It's not like a car of that size has to have one, but it would be a nice option especially with some of the great V6s Ford has been offering lately.

There are two EcoBoost 4-cylinder options, IMHO there's no need for a V6 in the mainstream models with the optional EB 2.0. Hopefully next year they follow up with an ST (or SHO) with a TiVCT D37 and 6-speed manual.

Originally Posted By: JOD
instead, we get "big on the outside, small on the inside" vehicles like the Edge. No thanks. Such a shame, because it's a nice-looking car inside and out, and looks even better in wagon form.

400218_260092907389452_112397758825635_654987_399159115_n.jpg

395779_10150582410820049_22166130048_11176161_769113420_n.jpg

2013+Ford+Fusion+105.JPG

2013+Ford+Fusion+113.JPG

2013+Ford+Fusion+068.JPG

2013-ford-fusion-rear-three-quarter-motion.jpg

2013+Ford+Fusion+079.JPG

Absolutely gorgeous!!
thumbsup2.gif

This new Fusion is basically a new generation of the European Ford Mondeo MKIII...the US received the first generation and it was called the Contour, it was agreat car but Dearborn didn't like being shown up by their partners at Ford in Koln Germany so they didn't market it well. That car was a GREAT handling car with excellent driver controls to boot.

If this new Fusion drives and handles like the previous generation of Mondeo in Europe I would buy one in a second.

BUT IT HAS GOT TO HAVE A MANUAL TRANSMISSION OR NO DEAL!

Originally Posted By: 91344George

A 6-speed manual is optional with the 1.6 EcoBoost, the 2.0 EcoBoost is auto only.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
...and they all won't be built in Mexico this time.
thumbsup2.gif

source?

Well, not China!

ZIIIIIIING!
grin.gif

That's because a lot of Hyundai/Kia's current design language was lifted from Ford of Europe's "kinetic design". The new Fusion follows the kinetic theme.

This is correct. Hyundai and Kia RIPPED OFF FORD.

Dang..I think Hyundai/Kia must have legions of internet marketing shills on almost every automotive forum .

Originally Posted By: 91344George

A 6-speed manual is optional with the 1.6 EcoBoost, the 2.0 EcoBoost is auto only.

That is NOT good.

I bet the stick will be available in both engines in Europe of course.!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back