Ford Atlas Concept- 2015 F-150

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the looks of that 2015 Ford! I gotta be honest, as a GM guy, I'm very disappointed in the newly revealed 2014 Silverado and Sierra. They did ok with the interior, but it still lags a little behind the current Ford interior (talking uplevel trims here) and the looks are not different enough from the 2013/older models. Add that Ford is finally getting some nice engines like the ecoboost and man - they look like a very good choice. RAM never really had a chance.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
RAM never really had a chance.

Ram is the least capable of the Big 3 trucks. Some would say it has looks but even that is debatable. It definitely doesn't have it in the power and capability departments.

I admit I am not a Ford guy but lord that is ugly. I agree with the other member who posted that their trucks are getting uglier and uglier as the years go on.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Ram is the least capable of the Big 3 trucks. Some would say it has looks but even that is debatable. It definitely doesn't have it in the power and capability departments.

Are you insane? 390HP and over 400 FTLBS from a gas motor isn't enough? Wow.

My 05 dodge is a turd as a 4x4. My 99 chev is head and shoulders a better 4x4 than my dodge.
Ford has the gas engines all wrapped up. Nothing out there compares. I'd love a 5.0 as my next truck but I would drive an Eco boost too without issue.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,ugly can be sexy.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Are you insane? 390HP and over 400 FTLBS from a gas motor isn't enough? Wow.

That may have worked a few years ago but:

6.2 in the F150:
• 411 horsepower at 5500 rpm
• 434 lb.-ft. of torque at 4500 rpm

Ecoboost 3.5
• 365 horsepower at 5000 rpm (on regular fuel)
• 420 lb.-ft. of torque at 2500 rpm (up to 90 percent of peak torque from 1700 rpm to 5000 rpm)

Even the 5.0 is within striking distance of "the Hemi" and IIRC the Ford 3.7 is more powerful than the Ram V6. For the V8's and non SFE V6, Ford also has better fuel economy.

The Ram never really was class leading.

Besides Ben99GT, I'm probably the most "pro Ford" guy on this site, but even I can't agree with that.

Ford lagged behind Dodge for power output until the current "trio of power" offerings came to the table. Everybody was close to 400HP except Ford. Not that it made the F-150/F-250/F-350 less capable, but they certainly didn't have class-leading power.

While Coyote certainly boasts impressive performance (and even moreso when you consider that it is 420HP for the same engine in the Mustang GT....) and the Ecoboost for towing is a force to be reckoned with, I would never argue that the numbers that Dodge is putting out with the HEMI aren't impressive, or GM with their LSx engines.

I greatly prefer Ford trucks for their interiors. I greatly prefer their powertrains. But having driven a HEMI RAM recently, having driven a 4.7 RAM recently, neither of those trucks are slouches in the power department and the trucks themselves, when considering how much cheaper they are than an F-150, are a real bargain.

Would I buy one over an F-150 with the 5.0L? Not a chance, I love my Ford trucks. But I wouldn't say the RAM or Silverado are "less capable" than the F-150. All three are great trucks in their own right.

I'll agree that the 4.6/5.4 were never hot rods but the Ford trucks were very capable. Loaded or unloaded they just soldiered on. They also had some of the largest towing numbers and payload capacity. Had you wanted a hotels, I believe the GM trucks had that crown.

Ram has always been lower capability than Ford and Chevy. IIRC they have the lowest payload and towing ratings of the big 3. They tend to rely on gimmicks to make up for those shortcomings. Had they really wanted to innovate they would have put that CRD From the Jeep into the Ram. They would have beefed up the suspension and frame to beat Fords towing. Instead we got the same truck as 2012 when Ford raised the bar and GM looks to be doing the same with the powertrains.

Yes Ram is cheap, but it also has less capability. If I were buying today I'd go with the most capabili as that's what I would want a truck for. That would be Ford or Chevy. And given Ram is the worst on quality you can see why it is so cheap.

My post wasn't so much a Ford post but a "Ram isn't that great and breaks no ground" post. The fact is for all their huffing and puffing the emperor really has no clothes.

The justification I got from our head of purchasing on why our last six 1/2 tons were Dodge was simply that "you got the most truck for the money". This is a guy who drives a 2012 F-150 4x4 with the 5.0L.

If you aren't towing anything that makes the difference in towing capacity meaningful. If you aren't doing something that makes any of the advantages GM or Ford may have over Dodge relevant and you are just using the truck "as a truck", getting a better appointed vehicle, even if you consider it being slightly less refined (which I think you may see some opposition on, as I don't have any personal dissatisfaction with the upper-trim RAM trucks, though our 2012 V6 trucks are extremely decontented) then I can certainly see the VALUE in the RAM line.

I'd buy a RAM before I'd own a Chevy. I'll just put that one out there. I'm not a fan of GM's interiors.

I'll agree that the 4.6/5.4 were never hot rods but the Ford trucks were very capable. Loaded or unloaded they just soldiered on. They also had some of the largest towing numbers and payload capacity. Had you wanted a hotels, I believe the GM trucks had that crown.

Ram has always been lower capability than Ford and Chevy. IIRC they have the lowest payload and towing ratings of the big 3. They tend to rely on gimmicks to make up for those shortcomings. Had they really wanted to innovate they would have put that CRD From the Jeep into the Ram. They would have beefed up the suspension and frame to beat Fords towing. Instead we got the same truck as 2012 when Ford raised the bar and GM looks to be doing the same with the powertrains.

Yes Ram is cheap, but it also has less capability. If I were buying today I'd go with the most capabili as that's what I would want a truck for. That would be Ford or Chevy. And given Ram is the worst on quality you can see why it is so cheap.

My post wasn't so much a Ford post but a "Ram isn't that great and breaks no ground" post. The fact is for all their huffing and puffing the emperor really has no clothes.

Rams did previously have pretty crude quality and interiors, along with outdated and/or underpowered engines, but the current Ram is actually a really solid effort. I think for the first time it looks better than the F-150, has an interior on par with the F-150, and has a good engine lineup across the board.

As far as capability, one 1/2 ton truck is basically the same as the next. Trucks are in very distinct classes for a reason. If what you need to carry is too big for a Ram 1500, it's too big for an F-150 too.

I do like the RAM's rear bumper with the dual exhaust cut-outs...that is cool and Ford and GM should copy that instead of focusing on "easy close" tail gates and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back