Valvoline Synpower love?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I often get the feeling that Valvoline Synpower gets overlooked by people on this site? I have looked into it and it seems VS does not show a real solid add pack in virgin oil samples tested although I strongly believe that oil tests don't show you all that is in the oil esp when it seems synpower seems to produce real good UOA results. So what gives is it not good enough at its price point? It does use a sodium add pack that other oils don't use are people afraid to use it?

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
It seems the group here flock to Napa for price as its always $2.99 qt.

+1 I feel like the price point for Synpower is more than what I feel to be better quality syns like PP. NAPA syn is similar and much cheaper.

There have been threads on this before, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Synpower it's just that most people state it is more expensive than other full synthetic oils?, and afaik there isn't anything outstanding about it, it's just an average-good full synthetic oil.
As others say a lot of people would rather use NAPA Full synthetic as it's made by Valvoline and is similar to Synpower.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
It seems the group here flock to Napa for price as its always $2.99 qt.

+1 I feel like the price point for Synpower is more than what I feel to be better quality syns like PP. NAPA syn is similar and much cheaper.

Napa syn is only cheaper if you're not willing to wait for the numerous sales and rebates on the other oils during the year. I could have bought all the Valvoline Synpower I wanted on Friday at AutoZone for $2.00/qt but passed on it....much better than NAPA's $2.99 for their "similar" oil. And during the year with M1 and PP rebates you can buy those from $1.97-$2.65/qt. It's happened for the past couple of years.

I'm not a fan of the Sodium oil package only because Valvoline is the only major that uses it. There's no evidence to show that a Sodium add pack is better as a PCMO. So I'll stick with the majority. And to those that do UOA's the sodium can mask coolant leaks. Until someone proves that NAPA at $2.99 is the best oil, I'll buy the M1/PP/QSUD/Synpower for less during the year...and numerous syn oils at $2.00/qt (or 5c-95c) as long as AZ/AAP dump their slower moving inventory every year. I'll buy Synpower, but not for $2.00/qt unless it's their 0w-40 grades which are high calcium and no sodium oils. I did buy some Synpower 10w-30 for $2.00/qt at last year's AutoZone clearance. But, ended up giving those quarts away as a gift as I decided to stick with the high Calcium oils for the next 2-3 years.

How we "feel" about our oils is meaningless. Show me some proof that says one add package (high Calcium, high magnesium, or high sodium) is better than the other and I'll switch in a heartbeat. Until then, I go with the cheapest price/majority rule. My last 2 daily driver's got a lot of quick lube OCI's with VWB/GTX/PYB....200K+ miles on those engines....and which of those oils did the better job?

I have no issues with it and have a stash of 5w30 and 0w20
I think their marketing stinks as well. Every time I do an oil change I seem to walk right on by it.
No real reason but it seems rather boring...... ( why? I have no idea)
But the NAPA info is the key on here!

The current Synpower seems to do very well, even for longer drain intervals. I remember years ago, SM verson maybe, the UOA on Synpower wasn't that good for long drain intervals. The TBN would drop low as the mileage racked up.
I remember reading on Valvoline's website years ago that Synpower and their synthetics was for higher performance, not for extended drains. They recommended changing it at the same intervals as conventional oils!

I use 5W40 MST in my BMW during summer months. Engine is smoother then M1 5W30 ESP (but that is kind of M1 signature, more noise).
Did not do UOA, but both turbos are still alive
smile.gif

Ow20 in the Subaru - best oil ever run in there. Ran clean and quiet and good gas mileage. I would put M1EP 2nd - also a decent oil. QSUD was run for long time but kept getting sticking TCT.
That said, Never had much luck with VSP in the 5w30 flavor.

I'm hoping I can exchange some for a lighter weight. Couldn't help getting 13 quarts of 20w50 for a nickel per quart. Kind of tempted to top off the Matrix with half a quart of it. It burned a half a quart over 7000 miles on 0w20 Valvoline Maxlife full syn.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I'm hoping I can exchange some for a lighter weight. Couldn't help getting 13 quarts of 20w50 for a nickel per quart. Kind of tempted to top off the Matrix with half a quart of it. It burned a half a quart over 7000 miles on 0w20 Valvoline Maxlife full syn.

Use it in the summer OPE and I would certainly use it as a top off

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
O wouldn't even hesitate to use it in summer in the vibe. I had a 2003 and 2006 Vibes and both ran very well on Castrol 5w50 in the summer. I know, it's not Valvoline, but it's 50-grade and both Vibes did not take the mpg hit and were a lot quieter over the 5k OCIs. Only used it because that was what I had in stash at the time. Would not hesitate to do it again.

No problems with VS, but UOAs are not a good indicator of the quality of an oil. UOAs are good for indicating oil contamination by fuel, dirt, coolant.

I'm a Valvoline fanboy but I don't like Synpower or Synthetic MaxLife. My vehicles get too much valve train noise on either syn flavor for me. Switch them back to MaxLife or even Valvoline white bottle and no more noise.

My Cruze has spent 62,500 of its 82,000 miles on Synpower 5w30 (FF and one free dealership OC @ 2K and 6K, and two fills of Schaeffer's 9000 after 50K) and is, thus far, exhibiting much better reliability than a lot of people get out of the little 1.4T - aka, zero repairs and no oil consumption.

What are you asking?

Are trying to poll us into seeing what the most popular, common, sold oil is so you can jump on the bandwagon?

Buy a cheap oil, one your dealer or manufacturer recommends, one with a pretty container, one with great VOAs, one with generally good UOAs, or an oil that smells good, one that has a nice color, or one that runs good in your engine...........but popularity??? Is this the set of some mean Hollywood high school cheerleader show?

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
What are you asking?

Are trying to poll us into seeing what the most popular, common, sold oil is so you can jump on the bandwagon?

Buy a cheap oil, one your dealer or manufacturer recommends, one with a pretty container, one with great VOAs, one with generally good UOAs, or an oil that smells good, one that has a nice color, or one that runs good in your engine...........but popularity??? Is this the set of some mean Hollywood high school cheerleader show?

I prefer the ones that taste good. Or the inexpensive ones.

I haven't found any that taste to my liking yet, so I've just been sticking to cheap for now.

Valvoline makes good quality oil. Their MaxLife HM and VR-1 racing products are well respected.

My last few OCI have been Castrol, but I'm due for an oil change soon, and I will be going Valvoline this time, just for a bit of a change. The Magnatec is doing fine. I'm now deciding between their semi-synthetic DuraBlend 10W40 or their full synthetic SynPower 0W40. I have both in my oil stash right now.

only because you can get a rebranded version of it on sale at Napa several times a year, including right now, for $2.99/qt. Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back