Oil Brand consideration Mobil 1 to Kirkland

if it were me i would stay with a name brand oil, why when you buy a car for alot of money, then try to scrimp on a few dollars on engine oil makes very little sense ,there are many good choices on the market,,if Mobil 1 is serving you well ,stay with it

if it were me i would stay with a name brand oil, why when you buy a car for alot of money, then try to scrimp on a few dollars on engine oil makes very little sense ,there are many good choices on the market,,if Mobil 1 is serving you well ,stay with it
It's about ROI. If you can get the same results using a store brand oil, that's a good ROI. Bear in mind I'm a penny pincher!

Kirkland may boost oil supply with proposed $259M Bottleneck refinery expansion​

Just outside of the Gulf, Texas – Kirkland (non-Advanced) today announced the successful startup of its Wholesale Warehouse-backed refinery expansion project, which adds 250,000 five quart jugs (0w20-5w30) per day of capacity to a few thousand of it's Wholesale stores. Corporate intentions are to wipe Mobil-1 Vanilla off the face of the earth.
using enough of their competitors EHC and still calling it synthetic 😵‍💫

Heh... barely watch this forum the last few years... not much has changed LOL.

If an oil has the spec and viscosity recommended, go for it, and use your brain cells for something that will pay you dividends versus something that lives rent free in your head for nothing ;)

M1, only going in my engine if it's on rebate.

Just curious, how much savings are we talking about here ?

Z
Probably very minimal. I personally use Kirkland almost exclusively now after 1015 years of M1. I am not against using M1 but Kirkland is about half the cost. If I was to have more faith in M1 EP 20k OCI, I would use that. It was my last M1 batch but I went with Honda’’s maintenance minder anyway.

If I was to go back to M1, I would go back to EP as it is only $2 more and rated for twice the mileage, even though I don’t take advantage of it. For me to go 20k OCI, I would have to do a minimum of 3 UOAs on Kirkland, M1 EP, and multiple other types to have a decent sample size across multiple oil and at multiple OCI. By the time I find out what is the best, what is sufficient, and if 20k is doable, I’ll be racking up 100k-150k extra miles and close to the end of my driving adventures.

So I stick with Kirkland, which is more than good enough. I do want to try Penzoil Ultra Platinum so see if I can feel any difference. Then again, would a higher viscosity achieve the same thing of quieten down a workaholic 1.5l NA engine hauling 3 people and gears with A/C blasting.

Back