Valvoline Synpower love?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the SynPower PDS (SynPower PDF Link)
It's worth downloading if you are interested in SynPower oils, notice the ILSAC oils use a mixture of Na and Ca detergents, while the Euro oils use Ca only.

We get an interesting SynPower FE 5W30 in Oz, it's high zinc (I assume, based on API SL) while also being a resource conserving oil with ACEA A5/B5 and Ford WSS-M2C-913-D, plus a TBN of 10, so it should go the distance.
(Oz SynPower FE 5W30)
(SynPower FE 5W30 PDF)

I was using Synpower 5W40 MST for awhile.
Pros: available at WM (the only non-hdeo 5W40 which was), decent UOA's, easy to find complete online specs (unlike, say, Castrol)
Cons: no 5 qt jugs, quarts expensive, would have preferred HST but not available (apparently it does exist though)

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I often get the feeling that Valvoline Synpower gets overlooked by people...

You are correct. Valvoline oils are the most underrated oils on this site. Yet, every time someone posts a UOA on the oil, most times it beats all other oils.
There is something not sexy about the Valvoline name/marketing even though it is a superior well priced oil and American Company.

I think its great oil...a top tier synthetic and id run it IF i ran syns. VOAs simply do NOT show very much...Ashland is using non-metalic additives and their TBN retention (which is more important that starting TBN imho) is fantastic. Look at the UOAs of their products...nothing looks better

Originally Posted By: neo3
I was using Synpower 5W40 MST for awhile.
Pros: available at WM (the only non-hdeo 5W40 which was), decent UOA's, easy to find complete online specs (unlike, say, Castrol)
Cons: no 5 qt jugs, quarts expensive, would have preferred HST but not available (apparently it does exist though)

NAPA has it every 3-4 months for $4.99 for a qt.
I got like 28qt's for BMW last April. Using it in summer though.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
There are better synthetic oil options at the same or lower price point . Besides , Synpower is not a particularly long drain oil so two strikes against it for me

The MaxLife Full Synthetic I use is ACEA A5/B5

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
There are better synthetic oil options at the same or lower price point . Besides , Synpower is not a particularly long drain oil so two strikes against it for me

The MaxLife Full Synthetic I use is ACEA A5/B5

What is the ACEA for the Synpower?

I will say this about Valvoline; their PDS sheets are more easily accessible and more informative than Pennzoil, Castrol and/or Mobil. Going back to my early days of having an interest in motor oil, when a request for info was made, they stuffed an envelope full of data sheets, catalogs and decals and a hand-signed letter thanking me for my interest in Valvoline and put it in the mail. Even back then, they were more responsive and willing to provide info than any other oil manufacturer.

Valvoline is the only material-thing in my life, where I use an increased sodium item, as I enter into retirement age.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back