LSJr's Video Testing Data - Pennzoil and Quaker State's Differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably need to sort through the membership and weed out anyone that isn't an expert based on education. Then, only those folks have priveledges to respond to questions...the rest of us are read-only.
As part of my minor in chemistry, I took exactly one (1) semester of Fuels and Lubricants (and a lab), so I probably do not qualify. But I did work for the chemistry department for almost all four years and performed oil analysis for our fluid power and automotive engineering departments.

You could work from home. 😂
Unlikely... That said, I hear that ChatGPT's got down the basics of formulating motor oils, thought it tries to use MoS2 instead of MoDTC. It'd be a great starting point for Triax. Maybe they'll finally formulate something of their own, instead of reselling the cheapest oil they can get their hands on.

Last edited:
He clearly stated he was going to skip over PP and put PUP in his Porsche. Im just wondering if both oils would do just as well.
Yes, from everything I've scoured over time is that there is less of a difference from a blend to full synthetic do a full synthetic to an advanced full synthetic would be even less noticeable in the real world. I'm comparing this mainly from conventional oils. A basic full synthetic has gotten to a point of so cheap cost & great service that it's really no benefit to reach any higher up the oil chain. Severe racing, etc may be worth it to protect the oil from cooking. The Pennzoil Platinum is excellent oil for most folks if it meets their specification requirements & grade.

Yes, from everything I've scoured over time is that there is less of a difference from a blend to full synthetic do a full synthetic to an advanced full synthetic would be even less noticeable in the real world. I'm comparing this mainly from conventional oils. A basic full synthetic has gotten to a point of so cheap cost & great service that it's really no benefit to reach any higher up the oil chain. Severe racing, etc may be worth it to protect the oil from cooking. The Pennzoil Platinum is excellent oil for most folks if it meets their specification requirements & grade.

Could you please explain the formulation and performance differences between each type of motor oil you listed? Thank you.

Could you please explain the formulation and performance differences between each type of motor oil you listed? Thank you.
This is why we look to people such as "degreed Tribologists" to get their exact thoughts on the matter. From the views of the average person there is no difference. They all test the same at the labs. The cars seem to run the same.

So we watched your video for 10 minutes and know more about the formulations of Pennzoil and Quaker State. Can you now tell me how my engine will be different at 100,000 miles with Pennzoil versus Quaker State? Lake never arrives at an answer.

I have no issues listening to peoples opinions but when they lie to you about their background is when it hits a hard wall. If I emailed one of the staff at the Society would they say he is a Tribologist...nope! He is a sales guy and now he is selling piston rings. Let me guess...he will be at Shell/Pennzoil soon.

In any event Shell has figured it out. They have cheap Quaker State for the non-believers and Pennzoil for the believers each which arrives at the same spec with a different formula.

They all test the same at the labs.
Lake literally just showed you in the video that they don't, and explained why.

Lake never arrives at an answer.
That's not what the video was about.

In any event Shell has figured it out. They have cheap Quaker State for the non-believers and Pennzoil for the believers each which arrives at the same spec with a different formula.
Would you be able to comprehend the difference if someone told you the name of the materials used in each product?

If I emailed one of the staff at the Society would they say he is a Tribologist?
Go ahead, email them.

Lake literally just showed you in the video that they don't, and explained why.

That's not what the video was about.

Would you be able to comprehend the difference if someone told you the name of the materials used in each product?

Go ahead, email them.
Ok then let me know the differences besides formulations. I know Quaker State and Pennzoil have different formulas...but if I use one over the other whats the difference? They appear to my eye to.similiar in iron wear. What am I missing? Tell me.

Lets say the plan is to stick to oil change intervals in the owners manual or the maintnenance minder.

This is why we look to people such as "degreed Tribologists" to get their exact thoughts on the matter. From the views of the average person there is no difference. They all test the same at the labs. The cars seem to run the same.

So we watched your video for 10 minutes and know more about the formulations of Pennzoil and Quaker State. Can you now tell me how my engine will be different at 100,000 miles with Pennzoil versus Quaker State? Lake never arrives at an answer.

I have no issues listening to peoples opinions but when they lie to you about their background is when it hits a hard wall. If I emailed one of the staff at the Society would they say he is a Tribologist...nope! He is a sales guy and now he is selling piston rings. Let me guess...he will be at Shell/Pennzoil soon.

This, coming from the same guy that bases his observations and conclusions about "shear" on Blackstone reports and fuel dilution figures, and wholesale refuses to use a lab that does GC, is more than a bit rich.

This, coming from the same guy that bases his observations and conclusions about "shear" on Blackstone reports and fuel dilution figures, and wholesale refuses to use a lab that does GC, is more than a bit rich.
I do not make any claims to being something that I am not. I am just an average guy who has a business involving vehicles and trying to figure out whats best for my business. I never said or claimed to be an expert on laboratory oil analysis. I think you should review your assumptions.

Can I ask what are your qualifications and experience? I stated mine. As for Lake his education is 2 certification couses and a BA in Advertising. Currently he is in sales for piston rings. His last job was in sales for "Driven Oil" which is not pertinent to my business.

How do you know?

How do you come to that conclusion?

???
It doesnt take.any kind of expertise to know they are two different formulas. Sure there are lots of lab reports out there which prove they are different, but if I took a wild guess blindfolded I would come up right on that assertion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back