M1 5W30 vs Valvoline Advanced Wear Protection ?

Hyundai / Kia GDI engines are nasty , soot producing engines and by 4K miles the oil is toast !
Genuine question, how bad is soot in oil given that diesel engines produce a lot of soot which ends up in the oil (if I'm not mistaken)? On a side note, it seems that the ESP line of M1 is also spec'd for diesel engines, so maybe there's something there.

I run my wife's 2.4L N/A Sonata out to 7500 as standard. The first engine laster until 215,000 and the service advisor at the local Hyundai place said it was one of the longest lasting Theta-ii engines she had seen. Lol
The Theta 2 engine design changes and troubles are mainly 2012 thru 2019. You got one of the last good ones for 2011 and it may have been built from older designs / parts in 2010.

Besides softer metallurgy used, HyunKia's also endured thru oil pump to filter passage blockage at the screen. Soft Metals from the connecting rod bearings gathered there and engines starved for oil. It was mainly 2012-2015 when both companies tried to blame consumer ownership for using too restrictive of oil filters. The Moss-Magnuson Act saved a ton of people from paying for the major repair and blamed the entire fiasco on Korea.

HyunKia finally fixed the design and now owners can virtually use any filter they want - without worry of clogging. I believe the full-fix began with the 2016 year of production.

So anyone that runs cheap oils 2012 thru 2019 in these four banger (mostly TGDI) engines ..... well beware........... you are at a little higher risk of failure. Run good quality oil and your engine will last longer - then possibly fail regardless. Mine included.

Run shorter OCIs and cross your fingers, toes, legs, arms and say some meaningful prayers.
I would sell mine. But I'm not paying 4k above sticker (out the door) for a Toyota or Honda I want. Dealers claim the product(s) I desire are their hottest sellers with a waiting list.

Last edited:
The Theta 2 engine design changes and troubles are mainly 2012 thru 2019. You got one of the last good ones for 2011 and it may have been built from older designs / parts in 2010.

Besides softer metallurgy used, HyunKia's also endured thru oil pump to filter passage blockage at the screen. Soft Metals from the connecting rod bearings gathered there and engines starved for oil. It was mainly 2012-2015 when both companies tried to blame consumer ownership for using too restrictive of oil filters. The Moss-Magnuson Act saved a ton of people from paying for the major repair and blamed the entire fiasco on Korea.

HyunKia finally fixed the design and now owners can virtually use any filter they want - without worry of clogging. I believe the full-fix began with the 2016 year of production.

So anyone that runs cheap oils 2012 thru 2019 in these four banger (mostly TGDI) engines ..... well beware........... you are at a little higher risk of failure. Run good quality oil and your engine will last longer - then possibly fail regardless. Mine included.

Run shorter OCIs and cross your fingers, toes, legs, arms and say some meaningful prayers.
I would sell mine. But I'm not paying 4k above sticker (out the door) for a Toyota or Honda I want. Dealers claim the product(s) I desire are their hottest sellers with a waiting list.
Yea so far on the long block they gave us im noticing the oil looks a *lot* cleaner at the end of the oci, and doesn't smell like it's half gasoline. I changed it this weekend and noted how much better the old oil looked and smelled.

In my 2017 Theta II 2.4L Sonata , I use Fram Ultra #9688 oil filters for two 3,750 mile OCI’s. Then I change it out … I may extend to three OCI’s and still be well under the 20K mile rating of this oil filter . Besides good filtering capability , the Fram Ultra has good flow characteristics as well .

Back