Can oil dilution cause a gasoline engine to rapidly consume oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no way it’s burning that much oil without having worn rings. How many miles?
150,000 miles. Before the valve repair, it was using less than a quart every 1,500 miles. It's mysterious, and maddening. It's obviously burning oil. There's soot in the tailpipe, but no smoke whatsoever after the first 1/4 mile, and about half the drives, no smoke at all. The oil viscosity seems thin on the dipstick, and there is the ever-present smell of gasoline.

150,000 miles. Before the valve repair, it was using less than a quart every 1,500 miles. It's mysterious, and maddening. It's obviously burning oil. There's soot in the tailpipe, but no smoke whatsoever after the first 1/4 mile, and about half the drives, no smoke at all. The oil viscosity seems thin on the dipstick, and there is the ever-present smell of gasoline.

A quart every 1500 miles is a considerable amount oil consumption, in my opinion. Our 08 FJ has 141k and doesn’t use any measurable amount in 5k miles.

Most parts stores should have a compression/leak down test kit available for rent

It's mysterious, and maddening.
I agree. I would return the car to the mechanic who did the job instead of doing the guesswork. It's not your job to rule out anything. You paid him to fix a problem and got a nasty one for free. That's how it looks to me.

Odd particulars in this thread, the OP takes the vehicle to a "qualified" mechanic who repaired the vehicle with a head from a "qualified" shop, and immediately thereafter it starts consuming oil at a rate of 1 quart in 50 miles. Yet instead of taking it back to the shop (where immediately after it started this ridiculous consumption) the OP comes to Bitog, creates an account and asks if a previously unobserved issue of fuel dilution could be the root cause of the consumption.

OP, either this whole thread is a ruse or you're very far off a reasonable conclusion as to where to go for help with this issue. Take it back.

Not sure how the last compression test was conducted - but perhaps another test is in order …

Last edited:
A quart every 1500 miles is a considerable amount oil consumption, in my opinion. Our 08 FJ has 141k and doesn’t use any measurable amount in 5k miles.

Most parts stores should have a compression/leak down test kit available for rent
Sorry, I meant 15,000 miles, but I don’t know exactly, because I change the oil every 7,500.

Sorry, I meant 15,000 miles, but I don’t know exactly, because I change the oil every 7,500.
Really, it’s unbelievable how much oil it’s using, and suddenly. I mean I would think the oil rings would have to be missing to burn that much oil. I’ll check the compression, and inspect the plugs again.

Let's see....

Had a valve replaced.
Now smells like gas when running
Burns a ton of oil

Why was the valve replaced? Did it drop a valve? These symptoms could be explained by a hole or crack in a piston. You really need a compression/leak down test. A look through the sparkplug hole with a bore scope could be instructive.

Something doesn't smell right. It sounds to me like the mechanic messed up somehow and now is playing dumb because he doesn't want to fix it? If he was the one that suggested that fuel dilution is the problem, you need a new mechanic.

Last edited:
Really, it’s unbelievable how much oil it’s using, and suddenly. I mean I would think the oil rings would have to be missing to burn that much oil. I’ll check the compression, and inspect the plugs again.
Why not take it back to the shop that did the work. You continue to dance around the real issue. Why?

If you don’t have a leak, I’m now on the holed piston camp
IMG_3040.jpeg

Photo courtesy of Champion Spark Plugs , driving from Amarillo to OKC in August (1969), and a 1967 Triumph 650cc

Take it back to whomever did the work. Several possibilities given to discuss with shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back