Toyota camry 8 speed auto opinions wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, my cousin is looking at the new camry and was wondering about the 8 speed automatic longevity. i have seen mixed reviews on a toyota forum, was wondering what the consensus is here. Thank you all

As far as I know, FWD vehicles should be OK. AWD's had huge issues.
What people on Camry forums are saying?

Last edited:
My 2018 8-Speed Camry only has just under 7,000 miles. And over half of that has been highway driving. So I can't speak for longevity. But thus far it's been flawless as far as shifting. When it's cold, and going through it's first run up through the gears after backing out, it holds first and second a little long, then shifts abruptly. But the 8-Speed in my Jeep does the same thing. Once it cycles through the gears, and the fluid gets pumped through it, it shifts normally, and very smoothly.

The only thing I don't care for, is it really holds the gears to very high RPM if you stand on it. That can easily be eliminated by using the paddles. For me, I can't see the sense of revving an engine to almost red line. Others don't seem to mind. In high gear it loafs down the highway at just under 2,000 RPM at 75 MPH. Unless you watch the needle on the tachometer, you really can't tell when it's upshifting just driving around town.

To me it seems to be a bit smoother shifting than the 8-Speed in my Jeep. But you have to remember it's a rinky dink 4-cylinder, not a HEMI. I love it compared to the CVT equipped Corolla we first looked at. I couldn't stand the way it drove. The engine was revving all over the place. It felt like the worst slipping automatic in existence. Again, others don't seem to mind it. So if it keeps on going the way it has been, without any issues, I'm a happy camper. As always, time will tell.

A quick question NOT INTENDED to derail or highjack:

Would my friend's 2007 Camry 4 cyl. have a CVT or geared transmission? If geared, which one?

Thanks

I had to drive a loaner 18 Camry for 2 weeks and actually did not like it nearly as much as I expected to. The transmission was not smooth and was geared too high. However, I don't think that will affect reliability and longevity. This car was likely a very early 2018 model, and potentially never had the software update.

Not a Camry owner but I currently have a vehicle that shares it's 8-spd Aisin transmission. According to Wikipedia it's been around since 2013 in many applications.

The tuning in the Buick is a bit lazy, I would like a crisper shift. It does shift almost imperceptibly up and down through the gears regardless of throttle urgency. It it designed for a lot of power, up to 450Nm of torque so I don't think reliability is an issue. Like edwardh, I think that 8-speeds is a bit too much. I drive a lot on the highway and it loafs along at 1800rpm@70mph. The 295lb-ft of torque in my car means it doesn't have to shift much.

It has a drain plug so a drain & fill isn't too tough. Like many Aisin's it doesn't have a dipstick so you need to follow the procedure for overflow level between 35-45C monitoring the fluid through the DLC.

Originally Posted by billt460
My 2018 8-Speed Camry only has just under 7,000 miles. And over half of that has been highway driving. So I can't speak for longevity. But thus far it's been flawless as far as shifting. When it's cold, and going through it's first run up through the gears after backing out, it holds first and second a little long, then shifts abruptly. But the 8-Speed in my Jeep does the same thing. Once it cycles through the gears, and the fluid gets pumped through it, it shifts normally, and very smoothly.

The only thing I don't care for, is it really holds the gears to very high RPM if you stand on it. That can easily be eliminated by using the paddles. For me, I can't see the sense of revving an engine to almost red line. Others don't seem to mind. In high gear it loafs down the highway at just under 2,000 RPM at 75 MPH. Unless you watch the needle on the tachometer, you really can't tell when it's upshifting just driving around town.

To me it seems to be a bit smoother shifting than the 8-Speed in my Jeep. But you have to remember it's a rinky dink 4-cylinder, not a HEMI. I love it compared to the CVT equipped Corolla we first looked at. I couldn't stand the way it drove. The engine was revving all over the place. It felt like the worst slipping automatic in existence. Again, others don't seem to mind it. So if it keeps on going the way it has been, without any issues, I'm a happy camper. As always, time will tell.

The high RPMs Blows out the carbon and flutters the piston rings. Not really a bad thing. Every thing is done for mpgs and emissions.For decades the trans missions cu tthe engine when shifting allowing smoother shifting and reduces the shock loading on the trans and drive line.

Last edited:
I drive the new 2018/19 camrys at work and I really love the transmission. I drive a lot of different vehicles and the camry has very quick precise shifts. I like how low the rpms are at cruising speed. Overall the transmission is smooth, fast, precise, and good for fuel economy. It definitely feels like a cut above some other transmissions out there right now.

I drive a 2018 Lexus RX 350 with the Aisin 8-speed. After a TSB was applied it is MUCH better. Prior to the TSB it upshifted as quickly as possible only to have to downshift as soon as you touched the accelerator. Now it drives like a normal transmission with not a lot of gear hunting. It's also not the sportiest with an occasional hard downshift but overall I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back