Current Gen GMC/Chevy 1500 thoughts and opinions?

Jordan_FX4

$50 Site Donor 2022
Hi all, I’m looking at purchasing a 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT with the 6.2 v8/10 speed transmission and was wondering what people’s experiences have been with the current gen as far as reliability, likes/dislikes, etc.? How is the 6.2 for fuel dilution and carbon deposit issues, also are lifter issues as prevalent in this engine as the 5.3 or what the internet makes it out to be?

I’ve test driven the truck in question and was very impressed with the ride quality, and fit and finish of the vehicle. The only thing I didn’t care for was the giant screen that stretches across the dash, but that seems to be the new norm and wasn’t nearly as tacky in this truck as what I’ve seen in some other vehicles. I’ve only had Ford’s so this is definitely outside my comfort zone and familiarity. Thank you in advance for your thoughts and opinions!

Picture of the truck in question:
1711593093038.jpeg

Last edited:
Lifter issues do happen on both the 5.3 and 6.2s but are not widespread. But if it happens to you......Buy an extended warranty. Please note there are several GM dealers that will sell you a warranty at far less cost than selling dealer.

AFM/DFM 6.2L's are more likely to have lifter issues if anything. Same lifters controlling bigger valves with a more aggressive cam profile.
Clinebarger, thank you for the insight! Does turning off/using a tuner to deactivate the DFM seem to eliminate or reduce the issue?

elsewhere on the Internet-
quote-
I’m a gm tech, I see way more 5.3s with lifter issues than 6.2s. For every 10 lifter jobs I do 1-2 might be a 6.2. Change your oil every 8000km and you’ll be fine.

I think you got a good year for the 6.2, they are pretty reliable. The 22+ have been locking up solid at low mileage

I’d be more worried about transmission issues. Stay on top of that.

Even if your lifters did go parts are usually on the shelf. Worst case it takes out the cam but the engine itself would be ok.

If it’s a GM warranty I’d get the extended warranty.

CKN, thank you for the input and hope you’re enjoying your new Silverado! I’ll definitely look into the extended warranty. This truck has 18,000 miles, so it does still have the remainder of the powertrain warranty. As far as the transmission I’m not a believer in lifetime fluids, so I’d probably do a pan drop every 30k miles. It is disappointing that there’s no dipstick for the transmission.

Mrsilv04, that dealer’s lot is so big a person could get lost out there lol. Overall I thought they seemed very pleasant to deal with and no pressure.

Talked to an GMC dealer and he told me the 3.0 liter diesels are the most dependable engines at the current time. The gassers are having some issues, but a couple years ago the diesels had some issues in extreme cold climates due to extra emissions.

quote-
I’m a gm tech, I see way more 5.3s with lifter issues than 6.2s. For every 10 lifter jobs I do 1-2 might be a 6.2. Change your oil every 8000km and you’ll be fine.

I think you got a good year for the 6.2, they are pretty reliable. The 22+ have been locking up solid at low mileage

Even if your lifters did go parts are usually on the shelf. Worst case it takes out the cam but the engine itself would be ok.

GM tech in the UK? 8000km?
Yes oil changes between 5 & 6 thousand miles and you’re good. An annual topside transmission oil change and you’re good. Doing that in two batches (almost 5 qts out - drive 5 miles - another 5 qts.) just as good as the “flushes” or pan drop service. If the trans filter is dirty, your transmission is already gone anyway. Besides, why do more damage to exhaust etc just to drop the pan and change the almost 5 quarts???

GM tech in the UK? 8000km?
I was assuming Canada, as 8,000km => 5,000 miles (roughly). And they would get about the same trucks as we do (except they mark the speedo with those funny measurement units).

my grandfather has had three 6.2 trucks now. the first was a 2018 with the 8speed (nightmare). he traded it in on a 2019 6.2/10speed drove it until late last year then bought a 6.2/10speed denali ultimate. they’ve been very good trucks for him other than the 8speed. i’ve done all the oil changes for the trucks.

in my experience, they will sound like someone is inside with a hammer tapping around on 0w-20. since the first one, they all gotten either valvoline or mobil 1 5w-30 and it quiets them down. the trucks have tons of power and tow extremely well. fuel economy on the highway is still 18-20 depending on grades and driving habits.

quote-

There are probably also 10 to 20 times more 5.3's sold than 6.2's.

As has been stated, keep up with oil changes and you will be fine. I also add an oil catch can to mine as it keeps the valves clean. I've had 2 6.2's so far and currently have another and never had an issue with a solid 150,000 miles combined.

TH

Clinebarger, thank you for the insight! Does turning off/using a tuner to deactivate the DFM seem to eliminate or reduce the issue?

Don't use a tuner/recalibrate the ECM while it's under factory warranty because they will cite tampering & deny a claim. OBD plug in disabler devices don't work on 22.5+ "facelift" trucks, I can't tell from the picture you posted.

Even if you don't care about warranty.....22.5 "Global B" E90 ECM's have to be unlocked which is $800, HP-Tuners MPVI 3 with 8 credits is another $800.

Don't use a tuner/recalibrate the ECM while it's under factory warranty because they will cite tampering & deny a claim. OBD plug in disabler devices don't work on 22.5+ "facelift" trucks, I can't tell from the picture you posted.

Even if you don't care about warranty.....22.5 "Global B" E90 ECM's have to be unlocked which is $800, HP-Tuners MPVI 3 with 8 credits is another $800.
I bought my Silverado this past Monday. I actually signed a statement acknowledging that alterations to the truck including " tunes" and in some cases " lift kits" would void the vehicles warranty.

Doesn't surprise me, They're really cracking down.
There was a time when GM didn't care with the exception of Duramax trucks or major modifications such as power adders. We used to sell Magnuson Supercharger upgrades while retaining the factory warranty back when I was a GM tech.

I bought my Silverado this past Monday. I actually signed a statement acknowledging that alterations to the truck including " tunes" and in some cases " lift kits" would void the vehicles warranty.
the dealer tried to blame the lift kit for causing the upper oil pan to leak on my buddies 2021 1500 5.3l and i had to walk him through how to tell the dealer they were full of it and to fix it.

the dealer tried to blame the lift kit for causing the upper oil pan to leak on my buddies 2021 1500 5.3l and i had to walk him through how to tell the dealer they were full of it and to fix it.
I was thinking there are "lift kits" and then there are 5 feet up in the air ones. AND the bigger tires and angle of the wheels defiantly put undue strain....yea but an oil pan.....

Reactions: 4WD
Back