New $10k Toyota Truck

They were hoping 20-somethings could afford new cars but got 55 year old spinsters instead.

Whenever they come up on Craigslist, they're a "Toyota Scion." The ruse was missed by noone.

Toyota's marketing would probably have preferred the older people buying Avalons or Lexi.
Both of my Scions are titled as Toyota's. Not sure if that's multiple dealer ineptitude or the norm. Others with Scions have said the same.

The one decent selling model that Scion had was the first gen TC. That was actually purchased by 20 and 30 somethings. The other many models were mostly bought by 40's to 60's. Low sales numbers were the main reason they dropped Scion. Dealers tried to not sell them. The no haggle price was part of their hate. Hard to tack on scotch guarding or nitrogen filled tires that a Tacoma or Camry buyer would accept. There was the benefit of most models actually being built in Japan, mostly by Kanto or their subsidiary.

Looks like it's for the Philippine market or third world country. It almost certainly won't pass current European or USA crash testing.

there's no european crash testing... it's voluntary by car makers.

Audi got in a bit of a marketing pickle a few years back: claiming a 5-star rating for several cars and they never submitted any samples for testing.

Cyber Taco

1704066764044.jpg

An intriguing idea that will not play here.
Toyota has positioned itself as everyman's premium brand.
This practical little thing doesn't fit that narrative.
There's also the fact that this very practical little thing would not likely be able to meet US safety and emissions standards while remaining cheap to buy.

At $25K those would sell in today's market as soon as they were delivered.

I see the $23400 MSRP ford maverick mentioned often. This doesn't include destination, so in reality, they start at ~$25K. Is it even possible to get one at that price without being extremely "lucky" or waiting for a special order that may or may not ever come in?
Werent they org. under 20k.. ie $19995
last I heard it was over a year waitlist for the hybrid low model.

Scumbags were buying just to immediately resell for near 10k more

It could actually work for me.. the fwd base/xlt model hybrid 40+mpg model.
No car payment.

Reactions: JTK
Take a look at the Kia Seltos as a reference. Its sold with with a 1.6L GDI turbo starting at $25K - meaning you won't find one for much under $30K.

Same car is sold in India, with a 1.5L MPI and a manual trans, for 1,000,000 rupees, or about $12,000 USD. It has all the safety features - airbags and such. I presume they have removed some of the niceties, but literally its 2.5X more money here. They simply choose not to sell these cars here.

You will never see stripped down vehicles in the USA anymore. US sellers work on huge profits.
I remember the days you could buy a stripped down van and upgrade yourself OR have a place upgrade it for you. Including sofa/bed, rolled and pleated naughahide (however you spell it) interiors, captain chairs, airbrushed murals on the outside with heart windows*LOL*

IN other countries, loans are not available like they are here in the USA and many people outside the USA are still practical nor do the majority have the income.The largest exporter of vehicles in the USA is BMW, luxury for sure but the USA non export versions are loaded up with more than the exports.
Many people have to pay cash or substantial down payments overseas, also the vehicles are not regulated down to every last detail by overburdensome regulations.

But the key is auto loans and the ability to pay them back so the auto companies can make huge profits here like no other place in the world.

You will never see stripped down vehicles in the USA anymore. US sellers work on huge profits.
I remember the days you could buy a stripped down van and upgrade yourself OR have a place upgrade it for you. Including sofa/bed, rolled and pleated naughahide (however you spell it) interiors, captain chairs, airbrushed murals on the outside with heart windows*LOL*

IN other countries, loans are not available like they are here in the USA and many people outside the USA are still practical nor do the majority have the income.The largest exporter of vehicles in the USA is BMW, luxury for sure but the USA non export versions are loaded up with more than the exports.
Many people have to pay cash or substantial down payments overseas, also the vehicles are not regulated down to every last detail by overburdensome regulations.

But the key is auto loans and the ability to pay them back so the auto companies can make huge profits here like no other place in the world.
cheap (easy?) cash=expensive goods Oversimplified, but Econ 101

Typical lamentations. I guarantee none of the people posting in this thread would buy it if this little truck could be ordered in USA.

Question, how many here have a stripped down, bare bones version of their vehicle in their signature? I checked, not too many, even OP drives luxury vehicles when compared to this little truck.

Typical lamentations. I guarantee none of the people posting in this thread would buy it if this little truck could be ordered in USA.

Question, how many here have a stripped down, bare bones version of their vehicle in their signature? I checked, not too many, even OP drives luxury vehicles when compared to this little truck.
One of my recent vehicles was a stripped down 2009 Hyundai Accent, bare bones, all manual. Enjoyed the simplicity, but sold it to make a quick buck.
My current "luxury" vehicle (GS300) is in a state where most of the luxuries are broken.
I'm actively checking the local Kei truck market, because it will meet all of my "truck" needs, as well as provide exceptional fuel economy. But at this time I am not ready to pay $7k-$10k for a 25+ year old 660cc truck. Hoping for them to drop in price soon. And all other used trucks in that price range suck on MPG.
But a brand new base model truck, with drop-down bed sides is a lot more attractive at $10k-$15K, and if it was available here in US - I definitely would get in line for one.

Your very likely correct for the public in general, but I think your off for this crowd.

I have a Frontier SV. There was an S, but Nissan only made it for fleet orders - they had crank windows still in 2011. I bought mine off the lot last day of Q3 for a great deal. I have a Nissan Xterra S. They did make an X, but again, were none on the lot because Nissan built hardly any, and again I bought it at end quarter clearance. Realize both these vehicles were shunned in the reviews for being very utilitarian even in their top trims. I would buy one of these stripped down vehicles for around town and daily chores. I would buy a $12K Kia Seltos from India for my kids.

Now Mrs SC's Toyota is loaded. So there is that.

Your very likely correct for the public in general, but I think your off for this crowd.

I have a Frontier SV. There was an S, but Nissan only made it for fleet orders - they had crank windows still in 2011. I bought mine off the lot last day of Q3 for a great deal. I have a Nissan Xterra S. They did make an X, but again, were none on the lot because Nissan built hardly any, and again I bought it at end quarter clearance. Realize both these vehicles were shunned in the reviews for being very utilitarian even in their top trims. I would buy one of these stripped down vehicles for around town and daily chores. I would buy a $12K Kia Seltos from India for my kids.

Now Mrs SC's Toyota is loaded. So there is that.

The thing is though, that your "stripped down" vehicles are still worlds apart to this little truck. Things like power, vehicle noise, suspension, are all superior to that little utility thing. And it's not like we don't have vehicles that are even more bare bones. Ever drove Toyota Echo or Yaris? Total death traps and the noises they make at highway speeds are borderline hearing damaging levels. People wear ear plugs in these.

Again, it's nice to fantasize about these cheap cars intended for third world countries when only looking at pictures and price.

The thing is though, that your "stripped down" vehicles are still worlds apart to this little truck. Things like power, vehicle noise, suspension, are all superior to that little utility thing. And it's not like we don't have vehicles that are even more bare bones. Ever drove Toyota Echo or Yaris? Total death traps and the noises they make at highway speeds are borderline hearing damaging levels. People wear ear plugs in these.

Again, it's nice to fantasize about these cheap cars intended for third world countries when only looking at pictures and price.
I had a Yaris rental a couple times back in the day so I do know what your talking about. It was fine in town - which is what this is. No, I wouldn't take it on a controlled access highway, or at least not in traffic. But I wouldn't take a motorcycle in those conditions either yet many do. This is for around town / rural roads, whatever. I have to drive 15 miles the closest direction to hit the interstate. I never get on the interstate unless I am leaving town.

I had a Yaris rental a couple times back in the day so I do know what your talking about. It was fine in town - which is what this is. No, I wouldn't take it on a controlled access highway, or at least not in traffic. But I wouldn't take a motorcycle in those conditions either yet many do. This is for around town / rural roads, whatever. I have to drive 15 miles the closest direction to hit the interstate. I never get on the interstate unless I am leaving town.
Fair enough, and what do you think these kei cars/trucks are for? Japan doesn't have the highway span we do, it's pretty much all local or city driving.

I can see this thing being useful for farmers and some local delivery, but not for personal use. Hence my comment that nobody would buy it. It doesn't mean that literally nobody would, but the numbers would be extremely low.

But then we have people in this thread believing these things would fly off the shelves like fresh buns.

Back