Rental car review - 2022 Toyota Camry SE AWD

Latest rental car from a trip to Minnesota was a 2022 Camry SE AWD (didn't even know they made AWD Camry - have never seen one down south). Put 507 miles on it over a long weekend to go to visit the parents at their lake house - was a trip from Minneapolis airport to Bemidji area so it was mainly freeway and state freeway driving - mainly 55-70 MPH speeds with very few stops.

Powertrain: Camry AWD has their Dynamic Force 2.5 that puts out I believe 202 HP and 180ish lb/ft torque hooked up to an 8 speed automatic. From what I gather the AWD is reactive and only hooks up the rear wheels if front slip is detected and can direct 50% to the rear. I didn’t really have any situation to test it so can’t really comment on AWD performance. Despite having extra AWD weight and drag this thing moves quite nicely from a standstill - testing shows it’s a mid 7 second 0-60 runner. The 8 speed auto in this thing is fantastic - it snaps off dual clutch like up shifts on WOT acceleration, the shifts are barely perceptible under pretty much all situations. Mind you this car had about 37k hard rental miles on it. Only bad is the engine does not sound good at high revs or even mid range revs, the prior generation 2.5 and competitors big 4 cylinders sound much better.

Fuel Economy: This car well exceeded its 34 MPG hwy number, hand calculating I ended the trip right at 37MPG (36.95 to be exact). Unfortunately the trip computer on this thing sucks it so I wasn't really able to see what the car calculated overall as it reset every time the tank was filled. Best result via hand calculation was on last leg before I had to fillup before dropoff at an incredible 42.42MPG.

Technology: Camry falls flat on its face in this regard. The trip computer sucks it hard - most other cars you can have a trip with all calculations (time, average mpg, average speed, distance) - Camry doesn't seem to offer this and the few options you can change you cannot do unless you are stopped. Infotainment screen was tiny (see photo below). The drivers assistants were just freaking terrible. Lane centering liked to hug the centerline, with a combined closing speed of anywhere from 120-130 MPH I like to hug the shoulder line - Camry did not like this and it just beeped incessantly at me. I honestly could not figure out how to shut off the lane departure warning so this thing beeped at me constantly for trying to hug the shoulder, the worst part is the lane centering was so terrible it would try to trace turn lanes then steer itself into a lane departure warning situation. Radar cruise was equally terrible in that even on its closest setting it left massive gaps so I had cars filling the gap constantly, if we slowed and the car it was tracing accelerated it took so long to accelerate it would open up a 15-20 car length gap before it started resuming speed. The drivers assistant systems caused more headache than anything and it seems you can't really turn the things off fully.

Couple observations: Camry interior was pretty decent quality but there was some weird cost cutting. The dome light looks exactly like the one that was in my 1991 Toyota Pickup, no rear reading lights, actual keyed ignition (can't remember the last mid-level rental I have had that you have to stick a key in), doors were very tinny, valvetrain tapping/slop was audible from inside the cabin on cold start and idling through the campground on the way out, brakes were warped, Kumho Kinergy GT tires roared like bad wheel bearings (or the Camry had some bad wheel bearings rearing their head). Oh and I drove a car with a fake exhaust outlet!! :ROFLMAO:

Overall: My unpopular opinion is the Altima and Sonata would be my preference versus Camry. While the interior quality/feel of the Camry is better than Sonata the technology in the Camry feels about a full generation behind and the drivers assistant in the Toyota suck it hard core, Altima interior matches the quality and feel of the Camry but the Altima technology and drivers assistants are still better. Comfort the Altima is hands down the winner of the trio, Camry and Sonata are similar in comfort but don't hit Altima level comfort. Camry feels the smallest and most cramped of the 3. Don't get me wrong the Camry is still a fine car, unfortunately for Toyota it's competitors make very compelling and better alternatives.

IMG_7517.JPG

IMG_7520.JPG

71397792958__1E38C137-A4FF-4C09-BE9F-3E08A5AD9F53.JPG
IMG_7526.JPG

Last edited:
If the AWD is not full time, I don't see the point in having it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Subaru's all have full time AWD.

If the AWD is not full time, I don't see the point in having it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Subaru's all have full time AWD.
Gain efficiency when AWD is not needed I'm thinking. For example I had no need for AWD one bit nor do most Minnesotians outside 6-8 months per year so let it just ride along in FWD mode and eek out a few more MPG.

Now I did just compare Camry AWD vs Legacy AWD and the Legacy EPA numbers actually beat out Camry EPA figures so there is that too.

Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 11.58.20 PM.jpg

Well, the automatic trans MIGHT outlast the others' transmissions...?
LOL this is very true for the Jatco CVT in the Altima - haven't heard too much bad about Hyundai transmissions. The Nissan CVT problems seemed to have quieted down so maybe Jatco finally figured out how to make them last longer than the first generation transmissions.

LOL this is very true for the Jatco CVT in the Altima - haven't heard too much bad about Hyundai transmissions. The Nissan CVT problems seemed to have quieted down so maybe Jatco finally figured out how to make them last longer than the first generation transmissions.
The CVT issues (mostly limited to the 4 cyl models to being with) dropped down after '16 and disappeared after 19.
Incidentally the 4 cyl model in the '19 gets the same tranny as the Turbo 4 Cyl (that's been replacing the V6) does.

I have owned a '14 Altima and a 09 Maxima (both CVT).
The Maxima with its 3.5L 24 valve, VVT V6 was a real Bahnstormer.
The Altima was super efficient.
Both had notably good seats and driving postions.

Gain efficiency when AWD is not needed I'm thinking. For example I had no need for AWD one bit nor do most Minnesotians outside 6-8 months per year so let it just ride along in FWD mode and eek out a few more MPG.

Now I did just compare Camry AWD vs Legacy AWD and the Legacy EPA numbers actually beat out Camry EPA figures so there is that too.

View attachment 174110
Subaru drivers tell me the AWD makes a huge improvement in the way the car handles on winding roads.

The doors are “tinny” on many newer Toyota and Lexus models because they have no insulation in the doors - just hollow voids. A little insulation goes a long way to help this and improve road noise levels. Cost cutting at its finest.

Subaru drivers tell me the AWD makes a huge improvement in the way the car handles on winding roads.
Like WRX sti owners? For our car, the AWD helps in snow, although the stability control cuts in when you get the drift angles up to the fun level.... I can't say I've ever pushed ours hard enough in the rain to see what the AWD does then or on dry pavement when the car starts sliding around.
In short, IMO, the regular CVT subaru cars AWD is among the best of the part time systems as it seems to come in instantly, unlike every other part time system I've driven. The AWD does nothing in regular driving, in the dry or wet, unless you reach the limits of grip with the power on.

The doors are “tinny” on many newer Toyota and Lexus models because they have no insulation in the doors - just hollow voids. A little insulation goes a long way to help this and improve road noise levels. Cost cutting at its finest.
All it takes is 10-15% of the doorskin sheet metal area to be covered with CLD self-adhesive tiles. CLD is "Constrained Layer Damping"... a butyl rubber/thin layer of aluminum ("foil" or sheet) self-adhesive "sandwich". So easy for the Mfr to do. Also, possibly, butyl "rope" wedged between anti-intrusion beam and doorskin.

This review corroborates my impressions of Toyota's line-up of Dynamic Force inline 4-cylinder engines. The engines are powerful and fuel-efficient, but high-rpm operation yields a deeply unpleasant aural assault. If only Toyota could make the A25A-FKS and M20A-FKS sound like the Gazoo's G16E-GTS!

Toyota spends their money under the hood…

First, I'm sorry you got Mass plates. 😁

I liked the first four gears in that gearbox, they do the job with adequate spacing in between. Gears 5-8 just seem like they're trying to squeeze the last 0.1 MPG highway out of the car. They are nice quick shifts but the tranny just seems like it's always doing something.

Stylewise, the little black vent thing under the tail light looks like a piece of rubber molding falling out of the light. Maybe it's like the man in the moon, but once I see it, I can't un-see it.

Back