2024 Honda Odyssey

Siennas are in relatively short supply with folks in many places having to put down a deposit in hopes that an allocation comes to the dealer that is relatively close to what you want. Dealers have been known to add a markup to vehicles as they come in and try to get someone that is desparate to come down and buy on the spot with the markup rather than selling it to the the person waiting but only wanting to pay MSRP.

Oddyseys seem to be more readily available if you don't want to wait so long. Or at least that seems to be the stories being tossed around about buying minivans on a very popular social media discussion board.

My local Honda dealer had 8 Odysseys on the lot with no market adjustment. My local Toyota dealer had 0 Siennas on the lot (one to two month wait) but test drove a used 2022. That dealer had a market adjustment of $5,000 for a Sienna - non-negotiable. No thanks.

My local Honda dealer had 8 Odysseys on the lot with no market adjustment. My local Toyota dealer had 0 Siennas on the lot (one to two month wait) but test drove a used 2022. That dealer had a market adjustment of $5,000 for a Sienna - non-negotiable. No thanks.
I'm surprised they don't offer discount for the Odyssey, it's been on the market for a while.

Sienna is a different story. Toyota loves undersupplying and keeping the demand high for all hybrid vehicles. "Supply" issues should not be an excuse for any manufacturer at this point.

I'm surprised they don't offer discount for the Odyssey, it's been on the market for a while.

Sienna is a different story. Toyota loves undersupplying and keeping the demand high for all hybrid vehicles. "Supply" issues should not be an excuse for any manufacturer at this point.
Labor is actually becoming the looming problem for a lot of companies. It is not just manufacturers, but also the suppliers of materials and components for the manufacturers. Trucking and shipping companies as well. During the bulk of the supply chain issues, there were people waiting on materials and parts. Now we might start seeing materials and parts waiting on the people.

I rented a Sienna hybrid for 10 days on spring break of 2023. Absolutely loved it and got 35MPG hand calculated, 36 on the vehicle's trip meter. Much better drivers seat head and legroom than the Odyssey, I have not driven a 2023 but I don't think the bones of the Odyssey have changed much in the last 15 years as far as interior.

If you're short you may not care - I am 6'7" and I care.

Have owned a 11 Sienna which I fondly called the Jabba the Hut land barge (tan). Gifted to the MIL after her Forester grenaded. Currently own a fully loaded 18. Its the only way to transport a family with absolutely no concerns with reliability. Not a fan of the new Hybrid, too anemic. No Sienna should have a 4 banger.

My wife mentioned that she wants to replace our Town and Country with a Suburban or similar vehicle for more space for our soon to be large kids. She didn’t believe me when I told her that minivans have more foot room than a Suburban. Thankfully someone in her play group said the same thing.

I am leaning towards the Odyssey, mostly due to the fact I HATE the styling of the Sienna. I might consider the Carnival, but I need to investigate their Entertainment systems. I’m just so biased against KIA and cannot get excited, plus there is no local dealer in my town. I have a couple of friends that still have Odyssey vans long after the kids have gone, and they run like champs and are fairly rust free.

I’m on my 4th Chrysler minivan (95, 02, 12, 14) and won’t be buying another, though my luck has been very good with them.

Have owned a 11 Sienna which I fondly called the Jabba the Hut land barge (tan). Gifted to the MIL after her Forester grenaded. Currently own a fully loaded 18. Its the only way to transport a family with absolutely no concerns with reliability. Not a fan of the new Hybrid, too anemic. No Sienna should have a 4 banger.
2018 Sienna (V6) does 0 to 60 in 7.1 seconds and the 2023 Sienna (hybrid 4 cylinder) does it in 7.9. What are you doing with a minivan that you need to shave 8/10 of a second off your 0 to 60?

You do realize the Hybrid part provides additional horsepower?

I have a healthy respect for both, however after helping my boss deal with her mid teens odyssey, significant brake failures, dealer inability to repair, and parts shortage, I would say that at least those years are not good for the Honda. They had repeated random soft pedal-to-floor moments where the brake pedal would simply sink to the floor randomly, and nobody could figure it out. Previous years had a tsb for the issue but hers wasn’t included. Our dealer here could never repeat the problem and therefore didnt advise the $1500 MC replacement, and wouldn’t consider a goodwill repair since it was the exact symptom described in the TSB. If they had, it would have been a 6 month wait for the part. After one stop required a ride up onto the sidewalk, they sold the odyssey and bought a sienna.

that said, I watched my family as they were T-boned while riding in an odyssey by a Durango running a red light at 40 mph. They all stepped out on their own power - the van saved their life, and that Durango was not a small vehicle by any means.

odyssey styling seems a little nicer to my eye, and handles better. But my money would be on a sienna, unless I could find a barn find Gen2. And yes, there’s a lifted sienna with ATs on it at my office, and I saw another at Publix last week. #vanlife?

How much droning does the little 4 banger do when going up long inclines or heavy head wind? That would be my concern.
If the battery can keep up with the demand and keep the drone to a minimum then it would be OK.
It does fine but I’m in Texas. Not exactly climbing windswept mountains here. It is an annoying sounding engine though, I’ll give you that.

How much droning does the little 4 banger do when going up long inclines or heavy head wind? That would be my concern.
If the battery can keep up with the demand and keep the drone to a minimum then it would be OK.

A lot of droning. I found it to be really unpleasant to drive. Throw in the CVT and it’s not enjoyable to drive at all.

This week just for fun I'm going to go look at the Carnival, Pacifica, Odyssey, and Sienna, and then gauge my own opinion.
As of now I have only driven the Carnival and Odyssey, ridden in a Sienna, never been inside of a Pacifica.

I have a healthy respect for both, however after helping my boss deal with her mid teens odyssey, significant brake failures, dealer inability to repair, and parts shortage, I would say that at least those years are not good for the Honda. They had repeated random soft pedal-to-floor moments where the brake pedal would simply sink to the floor randomly, and nobody could figure it out. Previous years had a tsb for the issue but hers wasn’t included. Our dealer here could never repeat the problem and therefore didnt advise the $1500 MC replacement, and wouldn’t consider a goodwill repair since it was the exact symptom described in the TSB. If they had, it would have been a 6 month wait for the part. After one stop required a ride up onto the sidewalk, they sold the odyssey and bought a sienna.

that said, I watched my family as they were T-boned while riding in an odyssey by a Durango running a red light at 40 mph. They all stepped out on their own power - the van saved their life, and that Durango was not a small vehicle by any means.

odyssey styling seems a little nicer to my eye, and handles better. But my money would be on a sienna, unless I could find a barn find Gen2. And yes, there’s a lifted sienna with ATs on it at my office, and I saw another at Publix last week. #vanlife?
My soft pedal didn’t get fixed until I replaced the stock pads.

Back