New $10k Toyota Truck

Looks like it's for the Philippine market or third world country. It almost certainly won't pass current European or USA crash testing.
You would be surprised , lots of newer Kei vehicles do appear to. “Pass” if that’s your only metric

It costs $15m minimum to try and from what I remember you can sell low crash rated cars/trucks if you want
but putting a D rated vehicle up for sale would probably not sell, especially considering the cost of the crash test by itself can account for half a low volume vehicles end price tag.

Kinda cool but doesn't do anything for me... I rarely go off-road, like a dirt road once in a great while.

If it could handle a 3,500lb enclosed trailer, maybe... but this doesn't look like something I'd want to drive close to highway speed... unloaded. Add in a load?

So it's not just the Tundra that gets a huge flat grille, eh?

We got all excited about the Mahindra diesel mini-truck and you know how that went.

Toyota (USA) would never import something that depletes their brand equity.

Toyota (USA) would never import something that depletes their brand equity.
Hmm, was going to suggest, try importing under a different name (nobody knows that Lexus = Toyota, right?). But their Scion experiment fizzled... This is a different vehicle, different selling strategy, but prior mistakes can sometimes smart far into the future.

If they throw ABS and airbags at it it shouldn't cost that much more, keep it under 15K and it will sell like hotcakes.
Part of the expense isn't just adding airbags and abs. The crash testing cost in the usa is two-fold. First for CARB and California at $1million per crash test per transmission drive wheel combination. Then add the other 46 states for crash testing and separate emissions certification. About 15 years ago while in College the VP of Ford Motor Company gave a lecture ( on what I forgot)
Afterwards myself and about six other students hung around to chat with him. According to him for a manual transmission option in the usa that take rate has to be above 10-12% to offset any additional costs hence why many models drop it after a few years.

Hmm, was going to suggest, try importing under a different name (nobody knows that Lexus = Toyota, right?). But their Scion experiment fizzled... This is a different vehicle, different selling strategy, but prior mistakes can sometimes smart far into the future.
The scion brand didn't fizzle per se, but attracted a very different buyer dynamic than expected. Hence why Toyota wrapped it up.

The scion brand didn't fizzle per se, but attracted a very different buyer dynamic than expected. Hence why Toyota wrapped it up.
Yes, but... why not run with it then? If it was profitable, then run the ball, even though the play went sideways and not to plan.

They were hoping 20-somethings could afford new cars but got 55 year old spinsters instead.

Whenever they come up on Craigslist, they're a "Toyota Scion." The ruse was missed by noone.

Toyota's marketing would probably have preferred the older people buying Avalons or Lexi.

At $25K those would sell in today's market as soon as they were delivered.

I see the $23400 MSRP ford maverick mentioned often. This doesn't include destination, so in reality, they start at ~$25K. Is it even possible to get one at that price without being extremely "lucky" or waiting for a special order that may or may not ever come in?

At $25K those would sell in today's market as soon as they were delivered.

I see the $23400 MSRP ford maverick mentioned often. This doesn't include destination, so in reality, they start at ~$25K. Is it even possible to get one at that price without being extremely "lucky" or waiting for a special order that may or may not ever come in?
or if the stealership would even order you one

I was kidding. Trying to be funny. But I do believe we will see some it the states. Ranch’s Farms ect. Just not on the roads
figured

they would be great, I would go get one tommorrow. love the deletion of all unneed systems like airbags and abs. there is a bunch of stuff in new cars that could be deleted.

With our CA gas prices, a fair priced little Toyota PU with good mileage would be the new Corolla. A hybrid would kill the world. And Toyota makes the best hybrids. And people would quit borrowing my Tundra.

But today's expensive (high margin) trucks sell. Toyota, and everybody else, have zero incentive because we just keep giving them our money.

This is what pick up truck should be about, not quad cab with leather seat and a $7k audio system. Unfortunately it is not "cool" so it won't sell well here and therefore won't be sold here.
Not sure I agree; it would sell like crazy here. But I agree it won't be sold here...

Back