Mobil 1 FS v.s. Mobil 1 old version,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4WD
www.mobil.com/english-DE ... they are calling it M1 synthetic engine oil German version - can they do that since the site is run out of Belgium ?

Notice they are not calling it "full synthetic" though.
smile.gif

Calling it "German version" does not really mean much, IMO, since what they sell in Germany is basically the same product as most other countries.

The info comes form mobil.com. If you want to see how it's classified in Germany, you have to look it up on mobil.de.

The German law has been covered here many times - you are looking at a different sheet - and I'll assume what I found is a Belgium version. Regardless, I wanted to know what the difference was with the New Life vs US 0w40 (Amazon has it) - but never mind.

What Belgium version? I have no idea what you talking any more, and what different sheet? Mobil1.de has two 0W40 available, both are SHC Synthetic technology.. If it is sold in Germany it cannot be called Full Synthetic whether web site is run from U.S., Russia or Moon, it has de at the end and it is created for German market. Who care from where web site is run.
What is difference between old and new? German web site has both versions now available, compare it. However, from UOA here, it seams new version is not as shear stable as old.

Last edited:
There is no and has never been any German or Belgium version.

The significantly thinner, fuel-saving (FS) version is the only version available now. The old version is no longer made but some remaining stocks may be available.

edyvw - Ok, will try to be more clear- I'm not exactly shopping in Germany - just have a friend (non member) asking me questions wrt to his German car. Does this now mean SHC and New Life are same stuff ?
Others have attempted to answer US FS vs New Life - except why if this is the same oil all over the world - only the New Life has LL approval and why is that ? If it is a better formula from Europe - I can get on Amazon ...

Last edited:
New Life is just a marketing name that Mobil was using in Europe. In the US, this oil was just called M1 European Formula. It has been group III based (SHC) for many years.

About 1.5 years ago, XOM changed the formulation and called the new product M1 0w-40 FS. It was initially introduced in the US, then Canada, and recently in other countries, including Germany. I'm guessing there is still some leftover New Life available in Europe, but going forward it's all going to be FS.

When XOM changed the formulation, it lost the LL-01 approval. My guess is that whenever you change a formulation, BMW forces you to have the oil re-certified for LL-01. For whatever reason, XOM never got it re-certified. XOM never really explained why, so it's all speculation at this point.

I mean, that makes sense to me, if the formula changed, it should definitely be re-checked. If anything, I'm surprised other certs don't require that.

Why is this so hard to understand?

New Life has been here for several years. It's the name in Europe of the old version sold in US with the name "European Formula."

The old version is no longer made. FS is the only version now. There have never been separate versions in Germany. It's just a different name.

SHC means Group III. Both the new and old versions are SHC.

NL currently on active 2017 websites and they post LL ... and call it a blend of base stocks ... are you saying they stopped production ? Regardless - I can't say the stuff on Amazon is any better and the regular stuff is still appropriate for 911s ... so I'll tell him to carry on (he's dumping at 3k and ears closed on that)
Thanks all ...

edyvw - Ok, will try to be more clear- I'm not exactly shopping in Germany - just have a friend (non member) asking me questions wrt to his German car. Does this now mean SHC and New Life are same stuff ?
Others have attempted to answer US FS vs New Life - except why if this is the same oil all over the world - only the New Life has LL approval and why is that ? If it is a better formula from Europe - I can get on Amazon ...

OK man, you are confusing names first of all.
So friend is in the U.S. right? So why German web site is important then?
SHC and New life is same thing. New Life is name of oil, SHC is fancy name for hydrocracked technology that M1 is using. So in Germany M1 that was available here in the U.S. until 11/2015 is called Mobil1 New Life, SHC-Synthetic Technology. New M1 0W40 FS that is available here and in Germany as of last few weeks is called Mobil1 0W40 FS New Life, SHC-Synthetic technology.
So Mobil1 0W40 FS New Life, SHC in Germany is same oil that you can find in Wal mart now.
If your friend drives BMW and needs LL-01, he can get Castrol 0W40.

I said it's no longer made, not no longer in stock.

They are all mostly Group III (= SHC). The new version may be mostly GTL (which also classifies as Group III or SHC) but I don't know.

It's up to him to use whatever he wants. I don't know why they didn't certify the new version for BMW. It could just be a business dispute. If it works in an Audi or Mercedes, it would be silly to think it wouldn't work in a BMW.

Got it - I would of been better off if I never saw Mobil SHC product line in the past - and thought it was that.
(they can call synthetic some place).
On German Amazon I see the one you speak of - they mentioned SHC on the gold bottle (never saw that before)

Thanks ...

Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
I mean, that makes sense to me, if the formula changed, it should definitely be re-checked. If anything, I'm surprised other certs don't require that.

Maybe other engine MFGs require it, too, and maybe XOM did get them re-certified, but for whatever reason they did not do the BMW one.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
I find these OEM tests silly. What if your BMW comes with a different engine than N20 or N42? what's wrong with the ACEA tests?

http://www.aftonchemical.com/Afton/media/PdfFiles/Specification_Handbook.pdf

Most if not all Euro MFG specs are baselined on one ACEA spec or another, but then they go beyond it in various performance categories.

That Afton handbook is now more than 3 years old. Someone mentioned that the BMW spec was recently updated to be more stringent than it was before.

Got it - I would of been better off if I never saw Mobil SHC product line in the past - and thought it was that.

I'd take everything you read here as entertainment. I remember how we would hunt for Mobil 1 SHC gear oil from Sweden for our Porsches' rear ends a decade or two ago, and everybody was convinced it was top of the line G4 and G5 mix, etc. Nobody would provide a reference to any source then as nobody does it now here. So, if I were a marketing guy from XOM, I'd keep using it, as confusion sells.

There are SHC products in Mobil product line, if you look it up, but there is no consistency in descriptions and marketing claims; SHC, XHP, etc.
Say, your car has more megapixels..

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Nobody would provide a reference to any source then as nobody does it now here.

Link to an earlier thread with MSDS info was provided.

Here are the datasheets for the old, discontinued non-European and European versions of M1 0W-40, the latter being known as the New Life and the former as the European Formula. You can see that the two formulations are identical -- just the names are different.

http://www.mobil.com/english-AU/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-0W40

https://www.mobil.com/english-GB/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-New-Life-0W40

The new FS version:

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-FS-0W-40

The presentation about SHC (= Group III) technology. Note that old Mobil 1 refers to the PAO version and New Life refers to the "old new" SHC (Group III) version that has recently been discontinued and replaced with the fuel-saving (FS) version, which is also SHC (Group III).

Mobil 1 PAO/Group III transition presentation

Sir, the presentation is not about FS version.

I am intrigued to find there are two previous NON-FS 0W40 version.

FS seems the 3rd generation product.
No one knows if they are getting better or more inferior.

replaced with the fuel-saving (FS) version

We really have no idea what "FS" stands for and Mobil has not stated it stands for "Fuel Saving", the fact you keep repeating that it does in no way makes it true. The most recent addition to the "FS" family is a 5w-50 BTW, about the furthest thing from a "fuel saving" oil with an HTHS of 4.4.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
replaced with the fuel-saving (FS) version

We really have no idea what "FS" stands for and Mobil has not stated it stands for "Fuel Saving", the fact you keep repeating that it does in no way makes it true. The most recent addition to the "FS" family is a 5w-50 BTW, about the furthest thing from a "fuel saving" oil with an HTHS of 4.4.

Fuel-saving in comparison to 15W-50 in that case. In case of 0W-40, fuel-saving in comparison to the old version.

I'm sure Mobil 1 will tell you what it is if you e-mail them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back