Mobil 1 FS v.s. Mobil 1 old version,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4WD
But would the German regulators let you call Visom based oil "synthetic" ?

Nope, because it is Group III. I believe the same applies to GTL.

Based on some UOA's, seems FS is shearing down much faster then VISOM version. I id two UOA on VISOM in my VW CC and Tiguan and it was ridiculously shear stable. Based on some UOA of VW's of new FS, story with FS is completely different.
In Germany old VISOM is still available and it is labeled as SHC: Synthetic Hydrocracked. Same is with Mobil1 5W30 ESP in Germany. Just go to Amazon web sited in Germany and then let's say in France, and you will see that they label same oil differently.

Several revisions ago M1 0w-40 was, prior to the New Life moniker, a PAO-based full synthetic. I doubt it resembled what we see in that table, as MRV was higher, CCS was higher but HTHS was similar. It also was not API SN, as that was before that standard existed.

With the introduction of "New Life" we got the VISOM-based (Group III) version, which did away with most of the PAO.

With the subsequent introduction of the new "FS" version, VISOM was replaced by GTL with a bit more PAO. But it also shed the BMW LL-01 approval.

There have been a pile of revisions of the product. Cold temperature performance, along with a higher HTHS were the big changes from the PAO-based version to the VISOM one. That has somewhat reversed with the "FS" version.

How can the German version of New Life be sold as a synthetic if GIII ? (And it is sold as synthetic).
It's the only other M1 0w40 I was comparing to FS and PP.

How can the German version of New Life be sold as a synthetic if GIII ? (And it is sold as synthetic).
It's the only other M1 0w40 I was comparing to FS and PP.

It is not. It is sold as SHC technology.

I know what SHC is - we use overseas - you should check Mobil 1 German version on website - ultimate synthetic...

Originally Posted By: dole
Which one is better? Generally speaking?

Isn't it obvious?

FS = fuel-saving = thinner

Since thinner is better, FS is better. Even the aging viscosity grade Mobil 1 0W-40 has got a clue.
wink.gif

I know what SHC is - we use overseas - you should check Mobil 1 German version on website - ultimate synthetic...

I check Mobil1.de several times a month for some other reasons. Maybe you should double check mobil1.de and then other Mobil1 web sites and do math.

As far as I know, there is no such thing as German Mobil 1 (analogous to German Castrol). The same oil is sold worldwide and it's all mostly Group III ("SHC" ["synthetic hydrocarbon"]).

Well, that is what the page shows. Also, SHC is sold a number of places as synthetic.
Ok, I'm done ... was trying to help a buddy with a low mileage 911s ... but guess he's OK staying with the US stuff if I can't figure out the difference ...

Well, that is what the page shows. Also, SHC is sold a number of places as synthetic.
Ok, I'm done ... was trying to help a buddy with a low mileage 911s ... but guess he's OK staying with the US stuff if I can't figure out the difference ...

The page shows: SHC-Synthetic technology!
By German law you cannot call GrIII oil FULL SYNTHETIC. Synthetic technology is acceptable term.

The German law has been covered here many times - you are looking at a different sheet - and I'll assume what I found is a Belgium version. Regardless, I wanted to know what the difference was with the New Life vs US 0w40 (Amazon has it) - but never mind.

New Life = identical to the non-FS US version (just a different name used in Europe, as it would be stupid to call it European formula in Europe like here in US)

So why is the BMW thing different ?

Again, all versions have been the same across the world. FS version is the new version and has replaced the old version everywhere in the world. I don't know why they got rid of the BMW spec in the new (FS) version. BMW spec is not really much different than the generic A3/B4 as far as I remember; so, it shouldn't matter if you want to use it in a BMW.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
So why is the BMW thing different ?

Again, all versions have been the same across the world. FS version is the new version and has replaced the old version everywhere in the world. I don't know why they got rid of the BMW spec in the new (FS) version. BMW spec is not really much different than the generic A3/B4 as far as I remember; so, it shouldn't matter if you want to use it in a BMW.

The BMW LL-01 spec apparently got a whole lot more difficult recently. It is discussed in the thread I linked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back