Mobil 1 FS v.s. Mobil 1 old version,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
replaced with the fuel-saving (FS) version

We really have no idea what "FS" stands for and Mobil has not stated it stands for "Fuel Saving", the fact you keep repeating that it does in no way makes it true. The most recent addition to the "FS" family is a 5w-50 BTW, about the furthest thing from a "fuel saving" oil with an HTHS of 4.4.

Fuel-saving in comparison to 15W-50 in that case. In case of 0W-40, fuel-saving in comparison to the old version.

I'm sure Mobil 1 will tell you what it is if you e-mail them.

The 0w-40 is roughly the same viscosity as it was before the New Life version, including HTHS. We've also had a 5w-50 before and there is an FS 5w-40 too. Mobil has been e-mailed, and they have not responded to the question. The consensus reached in the several threads about this oil was that it stood for "Full SAPS" however bobbydevro, who works for one of Mobil's competitors indicated that it is likely just a placeholder product differentiator, which is why it is in such tiny letters on the bottle. Since the previous 0w-40 was an LL-01 approved product and "Mobil 1 0w-40" is how it appears on BMW's approval list, the new version had to have something else in the name to set it apart, hence the FS.

replaced with the fuel-saving (FS) version
We really have no idea what "FS" stands for and Mobil has not stated it stands for "Fuel Saving", the fact you keep repeating that it does in no way makes it true. The most recent addition to the "FS" family is a 5w-50 BTW, about the furthest thing from a "fuel saving" oil with an HTHS of 4.4.

Fuel-saving in comparison to 15W-50 in that case. In case of 0W-40, fuel-saving in comparison to the old version.

I'm sure Mobil 1 will tell you what it is if you e-mail them.

The 0w-40 is roughly the same viscosity as it was before the New Life version, including HTHS. We've also had a 5w-50 before and there is an FS 5w-40 too. Mobil has been e-mailed, and they have not responded to the question. The consensus reached in the several threads about this oil was that it stood for "Full SAPS" however bobbydevro, who works for one of Mobil's competitors indicated that it is likely just a placeholder product differentiator, which is why it is in such tiny letters on the bottle. Since the previous 0w-40 was an LL-01 approved product and "Mobil 1 0w-40" is how it appears on BMW's approval list, the new version had to have something else in the name to set it apart, hence the FS.

I agree it could also mean full-SAPS.

Nevertheless, 0W-40 viscosity has dropped significantly with the FS version: KV100 from 13.5 to 12.9 cSt and HTHSV from 3.8 to 3.6 cSt. So, M1 FS 0W-40 now borders the xW-30 range (12.4 cSt and 3.4 cP). In my opinion it's a good thing and also definitely fuel-saving.
wink.gif

For what it's worth, my father went from using Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 to Mobil 1 0w40 FS because it's cheaper at Wally World, & Mobil 0w40 had a good reputation for the 3.5 Eco boost engine. Well needless to say the engine was noisey as all holy [censored]. It had a terrible rattling/tapping noise at start up, & under high load acceleration. It never did that using Pennzoil. The Mobil was drained after only 1K miles & refilled with Pennzoil, the noises stopped & haven't been back. Maybe the older Mobil 0w40 was the "cats meow", but this new FS stuff seems to be pure junk.

Originally Posted By: Fasttimez
For what it's worth, my father went from using Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 to Mobil 1 0w40 FS because it's cheaper at Wally World, & Mobil 0w40 had a good reputation for the 3.5 Eco boost engine. Well needless to say the engine was noisey as all holy [censored]. It had a terrible rattling/tapping noise at start up, & under high load acceleration. It never did that using Pennzoil. The Mobil was drained after only 1K miles & refilled with Pennzoil, the noises stopped & haven't been back. Maybe the older Mobil 0w40 was the "cats meow", but this new FS stuff seems to be pure junk.

So it is good enough to obtain approval from Porsche/VW/Audi and Mercedes but not good enough For a Ford engine that spec's API SN? I don't think so. Something else was going on there and it wasn't the oil.

So it is good enough to obtain approval from Porsche/VW/Audi and Mercedes but not good enough For a Ford engine that spec's API SN? I don't think so. Something else was going on there and it wasn't the oil.

What are coincidence, the noise started with Mobil & ended after it was drained out....yet it wasn't the oil ?

Here we go again so I'll go again - two engines this year - 1st a Ford 3.5 eB and GM next - both measured with meter - quieter on M1 EP than PUP. Both 5w30.
The 3rd engine that had an oil quieter than M1 was Delvac 15w40. Now a 40 is noisy - as measured by (fill in) ... well, try two oils of the right spec and measurements next time.

What are coincidence, the noise started with Mobil & ended after it was drained out....yet it wasn't the oil ?

Generally the filter is changed at the same time. Start-up noise is more often filter related than not.

Generally the filter is changed at the same time. Start-up noise is more often filter related than not.

Or typically claimed to be cured by using Royal Purple oil.

FS version is more similar to 5W-30 than the old version.

Loud noises can be caused by faulty valve-timing actuators. Sometimes oil type affects it. It could also be that during the drain actuator got fully empty and took a few seconds to fill up with oil.

In general more valvetrain noise (not loud rattles) usually indicates less friction, which is a good thing. High-friction oils will dampen the valvetrain noise but they will also cause more valvetrain wear. So, you are better off with a low-friction oil that doesn't dampen the noise but causes less friction and and less wear.

Well seeing as how the filter wasn't changed, just dropped the Mobil & refilled with the Pennzoil, that point was moot.

Well seeing as how the filter wasn't changed, just dropped the Mobil & refilled with the Pennzoil, that point was moot.

You realize how entirely implausible that scenario sounds right? That you have an engine with very pedestrian oil requirements, dump one of the most highly certified and rigorously tested oils on the market into it and it makes all kinds of scary sounds and swapping it out for another oil, that uses the same style of bases (GTL) and magically all is cured.

On top of that, a conclusion is being drawn from this relational 3rd party anecdote that the product is "pure junk" because of this.

There are many oils on the market that are indeed "pure junk". In fact, there's a thread going on about a number of them right now in this same section of the board, posted by Tom NJ. Any oil that is formally tested and approved for the applications that it is being used, and many boutique products that, for whatever reason, often due to overly liberal additive treat rates, may have foregone that approval process but have passed plenty of internal testing do not fit the definition of a "junk" product.

Perhaps your dad's experience was in fact, despite the odds, somehow precipitated by the use of Mobil 1 0w-40. Or, perhaps it was just the result of using a heavier-than-spec lubricant. Either way, that experience in no way undermines the actual performance of the product, nor would it any similar product like Castrol's 0w-40, which contains a similar list of approvals.

Very overpriced. Won't last long on Walmart shelves. Potential buyers should examine seal very closely before springing for $50.00. You might get home with someone's dirty drain oil. Happens, has happened and will happen. Buyer beware.
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back