Which used Truck should I buy or be looking at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks, please take it easy on me since I have no idea about trucks. I know, I like many trucks, but coming from a small Civic/Coupe world, am not very well familiar with trucks.

So I have always liked a truck for carrying a motorcycle/furniture/misc stuff. I definitely like a Tacoma or F150, but never looked into them seriously.

Money, is definitely a concern/question from maintenance and upkeep perspective. How much does it cost (roughly) to keep up with insurance, maintenance and DIY stuff?

I am looking for anything which is NOT a huge gas guzzler or a money pit. Also, any truck where engine and transmission would last for sometime, with all fluids and basic maintenance. Don't want a shot engine or transmission at 150 or 200k.

Definitely looking for a used one, let's say between 4k-8k. Is it very little? What are my options?

Looking forward to any suggestions in terms of make/model/year/mileage range I should be looking at ?

Thanks for all the input.

Ford F150 or Chevy Silverado you really can't go wrong with. Motorcraft and AC Delco parts are cheap and easy to find. Most maintenance on them is fairly simple as well. At least the ones I've worked on.

I'm not a fan of Japanese trucks but I guess they must have a market if they are still making them. And foreign parts are usually harder to find and order, and could be expensive.

But for that price range you could definitely get a mid to late 2000's Silverado or F150 easy. Probably right around 100,000 miles or less. I know 100,000 miles is not a big deal nowadays but that is usually my boundary. If someone had a car/truck for 100,000 miles and neglected it, I think it can still be saved. But after 150,000 you can probably put a fork in it.

Last edited:
For $4k - $8k and infrequent usage I would invest your money and rent a truck from u-haul or Lowes/Menards if you need a truck only occasionally.

A truck in that price range will get less than 20 MPG combined - probably closer to 15 and more than likely have maintenance/repair issues.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

I am looking for anything which is NOT a huge gas guzzler

That part will be tough, look for v-6 trucks esp if you are not towing heavy trailers.

Perhaps look for an older s-10 with the 4.3, if you can find one with low miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 04SE
For $4k - $8k and infrequent usage I would invest your money and rent a truck from u-haul or Lowes/Menards if you need a truck only occasionally.

A truck in that price range will get less than 20 MPG combined - probably closer to 15 and more than likely have maintenance/repair issues.

Honestly, I love this forum. People here are 'mature' and knowledgeable. They don't brag or boast( nothing wrong with it, at times, lol)

You are so right about rental, I have definitely done that in the past and that's a really good advice.

I am still testing the waters in terms of feedback from users who have used, instead of using my own feedback( which is none, because I don't know anything about them). Thank you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AIRJAC3
Ford F150 or Chevy Silverado you really can't go wrong with. Motorcraft and AC Delco parts are cheap and easy to find. Most maintenance on them is fairly simple as well. At least the ones I've worked on.

I'm not a fan of Japanese trucks but I guess they must have a market if they are still making them. And foreign parts are usually harder to find and order, and could be expensive.

But for that price range you could definitely get a mid to late 2000's Silverado or F150 easy. Probably right around 100,000 miles or less. I know 100,000 miles is not a big deal nowadays but that is usually my boundary. If someone had a car/truck for 100,000 miles and neglected it, I think it can still be saved. But after 150,000 you can probably put a fork in it.

You brought up a good point, based on CL majority of japanese trucks are going for too much money with many miles on them, which I am unable to understand. Seems like, Tacomas hold their values like a Corolla, maybe?

Originally Posted By: spasm3

That part will be tough, look for v-6 trucks esp if you are not towing heavy trailers.

Perhaps look for an older s-10 with the 4.3, if you can find one with low miles.

Thanks, please forgive my ignorance, S-10 is a Chevy one(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_S-10)?

I can tow occasionally a motorcycle and very very rarely a small japanese car, that's it.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Clearly look a few states south of VA to get one not rusted. A F-150 is a popular truck. Your not allowing much in your budget for a decent truck.

BTW, are trucks a bit cheaper in southern states? Or you are suggesting because of less rust( less or no snow)?

Originally Posted By: spasm3

Thanks, please forgive my ignorance, S-10 is a Chevy one(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_S-10)?

I can tow occasionally a motorcycle and very very rarely a small japanese car, that's it.

Yes , they were available in single and extended cab, the 4.3 if maintained well was known for going 200+k miles.

Last edited:
Look into an S10 or a Ranger. Those can be had for cheap and maintenance is not bad at all. Tacomas are good but they are pricey

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Look into an S10 or a Ranger. Those can be had for cheap and maintenance is not bad at all. Tacomas are good but they are pricey

+1 for Tacoma being pricey.

Any particular year for S10 or ranger? Or mileage?

What car do you now own? Maybe a simple $150 hitch and wiring kit can meet the need to tow the cycle. I have pulled a Kendon cycle trailer many miles behind a Chevy HHR with a 2.2 without issues. Just don't push things and expect to go full freeway speed.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
What car do you now own? Maybe a simple $150 hitch and wiring kit can meet the need to tow the cycle. I have pulled a Kendon cycle trailer many miles behind a Chevy HHR with a 2.2 without issues. Just don't push things and expect to go full freeway speed.

I have a 2006 Civic, 2003 Civic and a Mercedes( which I won't use for towing)
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: AIRJAC3

+1

Japanese trucks aren't bad, but honestly they are way overpriced for what you get. I've seen plenty of rusty Tacomas and Tundras around here with unrealistic prices.

Google "Ford spark plug problem years". Ford had a bad design of a spark plug that had a very long stem to it that rusts into place and then breaks off when you try to remove them.

The years were 2004 to 2008.

One of my brothers had a Ford F-150 truck that was within those years and it needed a tune-up. He asked his mechanic how much it would cost, and the mechanic said that it would cost $700 to replace the spark plugs if he was willing to do the job, and he was not willing to do it. He said that he prices it as if every spark plug will break off, and that there is a special tool to remove the spark plug once it breaks off and you can only use that tool once. You have to purchase one of those tools for every spark plug that breaks off.

So, avoid the Fords F-150 from 2004 to 2008.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Google "Ford spark plug problem years". Ford had a bad design of a spark plug that had a very long stem to it that rusts into place and then breaks off when you try to remove them.

The years were 2004 to 2008.

One of my brothers had a Ford F-150 truck that was within those years and it needed a tune-up. He asked his mechanic how much it would cost, and the mechanic said that it would cost $700 to replace the spark plugs if he was willing to do the job, and he was not willing to do it. He said that he prices it as if every spark plug will break off, and that there is a special tool to remove the spark plug once it breaks off and you can only use that tool once. You have to purchase one of those tools for every spark plug that breaks off.

So, avoid the Fords F-150 from 2004 to 2008.
That's one of the best advice. That's the kind of stuff I am after. What years I should run for and I should avoid for a particular model.

Thanks very much
smile.gif

If you are only looking for something to just haul furniture and motorcycle around, have you considererd a small utility trailer?

I currently haul around my popup camper with my Ford Focus. I just bought a house and I will be picking up a trailer to haul building supplies and trash to the dump.

I'd love to find a manual transmission 4x4 base model 1/2 ton or heavier but they just don't exist around here without being super expensive or rusty.

And, Ford 1997 to 2003 had spark plug problems with too little thread and the spark plug would blow out often taking the threads with it.

So avoid Fords from 1997 to 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back