Beater: Should I buy this car?

@GON, Sun and rock chips did it's job over the years, and interior needs proper detailing. Also needs brakes and valve cover gasket is "sweaty".

PXL_20240225_231110891.jpg

1000015967.jpg

Thing looks pretty rough. The sort of thing I'd fix with rustoluem (which I did on my prior car).

Brakes should be trivial and VC gasket, probably not bad.

Now a messy interior, ugh. You only see the car when walking up to it, but you have to sit in the car for the whole duration.

Thing looks pretty rough. The sort of thing I'd fix with rustoluem (which I did on my prior car).

Brakes should be trivial and VC gasket, probably not bad.

Now a messy interior, ugh. You only see the car when walking up to it, but you have to sit in the car for the whole duration.
Already booked my detailer for the interior tomorrow, and eyeballing that Rustoleum Turbo can...

I drove the 2000 Solara. No major issues at all.

Steering wheel is slightly off center.
The engine does have slight vibrations at wide open throttle. Not sure what that is. Might be suspension or driveline. Pulls hard though an no smoke.

The owner uses only genuine Toyota oil filters and owns a 500k mile land cruiser that he maintains himself.

This car is quite a bit cleaner than the xD and $800 cheaper. It’s high miles though at 218k.

I’m not exactly sure which I should go with.

1Mz-FE with 218k miles or 2010 1.8l Corolla engine with 168k miles for $800 more. What do you think?

IMG_1571.jpeg

Flip a coin, about as worthwhile. I mean, they're old enough that random problems happen randomly.

I'd think the 1.8L Xb would be better. Timing chain, less miles, easier to work on (not a traverse V6). Automatic, unlikely to have a worn clutch. Better gamble.

But way easy for it to be flipped around due to prior owners flogging one while the other being absolutely pampered. And of course, random stuff happens randomly.

Me, the Xb thing is more useful, do more than just commute. But the 2 door car sounds more fun and enjoyable. Unless if it's stop and go where the manual trans is going to be annoying, that is.

Flip a coin, about as worthwhile. I mean, they're old enough that random problems happen randomly.

I'd think the 1.8L Xb would be better. Timing chain, less miles, easier to work on (not a traverse V6). Automatic, unlikely to have a worn clutch. Better gamble.

But way easy for it to be flipped around due to prior owners flogging one while the other being absolutely pampered. And of course, random stuff happens randomly.

Me, the Xb thing is more useful, do more than just commute. But the 2 door car sounds more fun and enjoyable. Unless if it's stop and go where the manual trans is going to be annoying, that is.
I would have far more “ownership pride” with the Solara than the xD. The Solara surprisingly had good paint. I think you’re right that the xD is a safer gamble. I like the Solara more as a car though.

Had a 2000 lexus es300 with the 1mzfe since new. It always started. Even the ac was on its factory charge. The shop forgot to tighten the oil filter once and it ran out of oil but after refilling it kept on trucking to over 200k miles. Its still going strong on its second owner. There are Issues with a coolant hose under the intake plenum getting old and brittle and there is the sludge issues with that engine but mine never had any sludge and it was not maintained the best. Never used any oil either.

I’d get the Solara…a quieter, smoother car for the commute, but quick enough to be a lot of fun.
Needs no work, while the XD needs ‘not insignificant’ work to get going. Plus, you would be happier with the Solara. Life is too short for silly regrets, trust me, I have a LOT around vehicles!
Get the Solara!

Vibrations under throttle could be axles (that would be a slower vibration, once per tire revolution). Usually don't notice axles at low speeds but more on the highways, such as going up hills.

My $3000 Prius had a wheel slightly off center... got that fixed with an alignment. Check tires for uneven wear.

Solara will be a nicer place to be for commuting, but will use more gas.

Contrarian view point would be to get the xD. The 1.8L engine will go on forever as long as you keep up on oil changes. Powertrain parts will be cheap at the dealer because of being shared with the Corolla. The hatchback will lend it to be more practical to move things if you need to and it’s got the side airbags which I can’t see on the Solara from the pictures (but maybe the side airbags tags are present elsewhere). Sure you can drive safely and defensively, but you can’t control how others drive. For daily driver duties - I’m a big proponent of side airbags, but that’s just my opinion. The automatic on the xD will make it an easier sell down the line when you want to get into a different vehicle.

The way I see it, the xD is the logical choice and the Solara is the fun choice.

Post pics and updates once you get the Solara. No contest here between it and Scion xD.

P.S. It's fun to see how many people think that any Scion is an xB, or a tC. While xA, xD, iA, and iM are left to be forgotten in history... I'd love to get an iM next, but manual.

The Solara presents nicely and would be nicer to drive.
It also has significantly more miles and will use significantly more fuel.
Between the two, I think I'd pick the Solara, although I'd probably up my budget a bit and get a nice Corolla, Prius or Insight instead.
Another thought is a Mirage as a low buck commuter, since based upon another current thread here they appear darn near bulletproof.

Why are you only looking on Craigslist? There are 5x more private party sales on FBM, at least.

Are you ethically opposed to Facebook? It's a tool for buying stuff even if you don't want to use the "social" part. And you could use a fake name... my cousin's husband was "Pop Corn" for a while.

Back