Which used Truck should I buy or be looking at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently Ford recognized the problem with the 1997 to 2003 models not having enough thread for the spark plug and tried to fix it with the 2004 to 2008 design that had a spark plug with a very long part to it (though the long spark plug design might of been because they went to a 3 valve per cylinder design, according to some web sites). Unfortunately, the 2004 to 2008 design tends to rust into place and breaks off when someone tries to remove them. So Fords from 1997 to 2008 are years to avoid.

Last edited:
Where I live, Ranger's and S-10's go for a premium for some reason. Trucks in general; they want crazy prices for used trucks regardless of mileage.

I can't really speak for where you live, but here, the state sells and actions off their vehicles, some of which go for fairly decent prices. They generally have good mechanical maintenance, but mostly have only fair body's. Asset forfeiture auctions from law enforcement can also provide good deals here, as long as you are willing to go view the unit prior to bidding and know what you are looking at or for mechanically.

I personally own a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab with 5.7 that I bought new. I may be in the minority, but it has been a very reliable truck for me. I have also owned Chevy and Ford trucks over the years, and to be truthful, as long as I did my part on maintenance, none of them caused me major problems. There are some bad ones out there, I'll grant you that, but in general, trucks are made to be reliable work-horses.

Honestly, when buying used I have had my best luck purchasing from a private seller on craigslist, through word of mouth, or even bulletin boards at coffee shops. You have to be extremely wary and willing to walk away very quickly though. Patience is the key.

Also, if you only need a truck for what you are looking for, I agree with Miller88. You can purchase a VERY nice utility trailer, hitch and light kit for much less than what you would buy a truck for. Not to mention insurance, tags, taxes, maintenance cost, etc. Not a bad alternative at all.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Look into an S10 or a Ranger. Those can be had for cheap and maintenance is not bad at all. Tacomas are good but they are pricey

+1 for Tacoma being pricey.

Any particular year for S10 or ranger? Or mileage?

'96-'03 ZR2 S-10, 4.3L 4L60E or NV3500.

Originally Posted By: ejes

I personally own a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab with 5.7 that I bought new. I may be in the minority, but it has been a very reliable truck for me.

i agree with this. 3rd gen rams with the Hemi are pretty sweet trucks. i assume the newer ones are as well and my roomates 2nd gen with the 5.9 Magnum is also still running stong.

also agree that used truck prices are a good bit higher than your listed budget in my area. especially toyotas where people want 10 grand for an 02 with 300k on the clock. no thanks to that.

good luck with your search.

Go for the most mechanically simple and cheapest to modify and repair. I'm thinking pushrod engines and 4sp automatics or 5/6sp manual. An automatic will generally give you more tow capacity in the light duty truck segment. Since you are in VA, rust is not a huge issue.

I've always owned a truck since my early 20's ... I'm retired now.

For reliability, I found the GMC/Chevrolet makes to be superior to Ford and Dodge/RAM, but both of those have their fans, and the difference is not massive. If you are careful and buy a good example, that is more important than brand loyalty.

GMC/Chevrolet also have the cheapest replacement parts. Dodge/RAM next, and Ford the most expensive. Again, a truck is probably the least expensive vehicle to own with regard to replacement parts, so this may not be a huge issue for you.

The reason Fords cost more is because for some reason Ford likes to change parts in a very brief cycle, so that a difference of three years in Model Year probably means the parts are not interchangeable. GM tends to use the same part for a long time, making them inexpensive to produce, plus that attracts aftermarket manufacturers because the effective market for a given part is much larger, leading to a greater potential for profit.

I don't find Dodge/RAM parts to be notably expensive from the dealer, but you can't expect the same aftermarket support as you get with GM trucks, so you probably will be buying from the dealer whether you like it or not. There is a cost penalty to that situation.

In a full size truck, you may as well get the small-block V-8 motor ... it doesn't matter whether that's a GM, Ford or Dodge/RAM make. There is not much difference in fuel economy between the small V8's and any V6 (or Ford's inline 6 if you are buying that old), and if you are actually using the truck as a truck ... that is hauling or towing loads ... the V6's struggle and burn more fuel than the V8 does. If you are driving around empty all the time, the V6 might offer a fuel economy advantage, but that begs the question as to why you are driving a truck in the first place.

The Dodge/RAM V6's are decent motors, perhaps the best of the Big3 offerings, it's not about the quality of the unit. You just don't save much gas ... maybe none at all ... in a full size truck with that size of motor. Get the smaller V8.

A 2WD truck will be much cheaper to operate than a 4WD unit, especially a used one. There is $2,000 worth of front end work every 4WD truck needs every 80,000 miles or so, versus perhaps $800 worth if 2WD. Labor costs can up those numbers considerably, depending on where you live and who you get to do the work. You might be buying right at the point where you need to throw more money at it almost from day one. Take that into consideration when pricing your used truck.

If you don't NEED a 4x4, don't buy a 4x4. They handle much worse than a 2WD truck does, they don't stop as well, they give up some payload because they are heavier, and they cost more to maintain. If you need one, by all means buy one, just don't buy one "because".

I've never had problems with a 2WD truck in the occasional off-road excursion, so honestly assess how often you think you would need that facility. Once or twice a year is not enough; you could spend money on better tires and probably be just as good off road if it's only occasional. [censored], you could spend money on tow trucks and still be dollars ahead, for that matter. Think about what you need versus what you want.

The Japanese trucks have their following ... they are popular all along the West Coast, for example. But they do not do the same work as a full size pickup from the Big3, and although they are reliable, they are also expensive to repair. You will, for example, need to replace O2 sensors if you keep the truck long enough. Reliable does not mean never buying parts. The key feature is they are more manouverable and are nice on things like logging roads due to being smaller. They don't carry or tow as much, although many people don't need to carry more than 800 pounds or tow more than 5,000 pounds, if you do they won't do.

The Hemi motor is a gas guzzler. Just so you know.

There is some merit to the idea of buying a trailer and not a truck at all. The problem with that is the car or SUV that can haul a decent loaded trailer is not exactly an economy vehicle, and will be burning more gas than your Honda Civic. So you don't really save anything in the long run.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Google "Ford spark plug problem years". Ford had a bad design of a spark plug that had a very long stem to it that rusts into place and then breaks off when you try to remove them.

The years were 2004 to 2008.

One of my brothers had a Ford F-150 truck that was within those years and it needed a tune-up. He asked his mechanic how much it would cost, and the mechanic said that it would cost $700 to replace the spark plugs if he was willing to do the job, and he was not willing to do it. He said that he prices it as if every spark plug will break off, and that there is a special tool to remove the spark plug once it breaks off and you can only use that tool once. You have to purchase one of those tools for every spark plug that breaks off.

So, avoid the Fords F-150 from 2004 to 2008.

That design was on the 5.4 3v up to 07(brown boots on the coils=redesigned head that no longer has those plug)only. The 4.6 2v and 4.2 v6 used in 04-08 had standard spark plugs.

You will not need a special tool for each spark plug that breaks. Lisle 65600 is the tool it requires and it can be used on many sets of plugs. It's not a one and done sorta thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

If you don't NEED a 4x4, don't buy a 4x4. They handle much worse than a 2WD truck does, they don't stop as well, they give up some payload because they are heavier, and they cost more to maintain. If you need one, by all means buy one, just don't buy one "because".

I couldn't agree with this more. 4x4 is great if you need it, but more expensive to run. Also, I would expect to see 2wd trucks have less residual value on the used market. 4x4 trucks don't seem to drop below a certain price threshold until they really start to break.

You may also want to consider the difference in price for a single cab vs. extended vs. crew. More space in the cab usually = more money. If you can get by with a single cab 2wd truck, I would imagine you could find some good deals out there.

Look at an 05 and up Chevy/GMC 1500 2WD with 4.3 V6, these were good light duty trucks that got decent mileage. Lots of these were sold with a a bare minimum of comfort options just your basic truck with AM/FM, auto, tilt, pulse, cruise and A/C with rubber mats so they are priced right.
The frames are good and solid, the the engines are old school solid and dependable making it a perfect low cost and easy truck to own and more importantly keep.

Google "Ford spark plug problem years". Ford had a bad design of a spark plug that had a very long stem to it that rusts into place and then breaks off when you try to remove them.

The years were 2004 to 2008.

One of my brothers had a Ford F-150 truck that was within those years and it needed a tune-up. He asked his mechanic how much it would cost, and the mechanic said that it would cost $700 to replace the spark plugs if he was willing to do the job, and he was not willing to do it. He said that he prices it as if every spark plug will break off, and that there is a special tool to remove the spark plug once it breaks off and you can only use that tool once. You have to purchase one of those tools for every spark plug that breaks off.

So, avoid the Fords F-150 from 2004 to 2008.

some of that is accurate, yes there was a flaw with the spark plug design that caused them to break.

but you don't need to buy a separate tool for each plug that breaks. there is a tool by lisle that is reusable as long as you follow the directions properly and know what you are doing.

And, Ford 1997 to 2003 had spark plug problems with too little thread and the spark plug would blow out often taking the threads with it.

So avoid Fords from 1997 to 2008.

yes they had a problem with the heads not having enough threads but the major issue was the torque spec wasn't high enough and the plugs would loosen up and then pound up and down on the threads until they were so worn that they'd blow out of the head.

and that issue was mainly with the 5.4 liter and 6.8.

as far as i know the 4.6 was unaffected

Last edited:
So, full size, 2wd, V6, auto, standard cab...pick your brand. Couldn't agree more with the 2wd thoughts. And gas mileage shouldn't even be a consideration buying a cheap occasional use truck, you have 2 Civics for that.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
If you are only looking for something to just haul furniture and motorcycle around, have you considererd a small utility trailer?

I currently haul around my popup camper with my Ford Focus. I just bought a house and I will be picking up a trailer to haul building supplies and trash to the dump.

I'd love to find a manual transmission 4x4 base model 1/2 ton or heavier but they just don't exist around here without being super expensive or rusty.

Yeah, I can look into a towing kit for a Civic maybe. But it says to not tow anything over 1000 lbs.

Sometimes furniture can be heavy.

Apparently Ford recognized the problem with the 1997 to 2003 models not having enough thread for the spark plug and tried to fix it with the 2004 to 2008 design that had a spark plug with a very long part to it (though the long spark plug design might of been because they went to a 3 valve per cylinder design, according to some web sites). Unfortunately, the 2004 to 2008 design tends to rust into place and breaks off when someone tries to remove them. So Fords from 1997 to 2008 are years to avoid.

You are da man. I'll strictly avoid F150 and checked it off from my wish list...

Because Pre 1997 will be too old and post 2008 will be too expensive.

Originally Posted By: ejes

Also, if you only need a truck for what you are looking for, I agree with Miller88. You can purchase a VERY nice utility trailer, hitch and light kit for much less than what you would buy a truck for. Not to mention insurance, tags, taxes, maintenance cost, etc. Not a bad alternative at all.

That's a good advice right there. I'll look into HOA rules for the trailer and it's parking. Roughly, how much does it cost for a utility trailer?

Sometimes I see them going for 'Free' on CL or some other websites. Are they going to work with a small car like Civic?

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Look into an S10 or a Ranger. Those can be had for cheap and maintenance is not bad at all. Tacomas are good but they are pricey

+1 for Tacoma being pricey.

Any particular year for S10 or ranger? Or mileage?

'96-'03 ZR2 S-10, 4.3L 4L60E or NV3500.

Thank you, noted. I am actually making a spreadsheet for my own reference.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Go for the most mechanically simple and cheapest to modify and repair. I'm thinking pushrod engines and 4sp automatics or 5/6sp manual. An automatic will generally give you more tow capacity in the light duty truck segment. Since you are in VA, rust is not a huge issue.

That's exactly what I am after, mechanically simple and I am cheap, so cheap to modify/maintain.

Any particular make/mode/year?

I've always owned a truck since my early 20's ... I'm retired now.

For reliability, I found the GMC/Chevrolet makes to be superior to Ford and Dodge/RAM, but both of those have their fans, and the difference is not massive. If you are careful and buy a good example, that is more important than brand loyalty.

GMC/Chevrolet also have the cheapest replacement parts. Dodge/RAM next, and Ford the most expensive. Again, a truck is probably the least expensive vehicle to own with regard to replacement parts, so this may not be a huge issue for you.

The reason Fords cost more is because for some reason Ford likes to change parts in a very brief cycle, so that a difference of three years in Model Year probably means the parts are not interchangeable. GM tends to use the same part for a long time, making them inexpensive to produce, plus that attracts aftermarket manufacturers because the effective market for a given part is much larger, leading to a greater potential for profit.

I don't find Dodge/RAM parts to be notably expensive from the dealer, but you can't expect the same aftermarket support as you get with GM trucks, so you probably will be buying from the dealer whether you like it or not. There is a cost penalty to that situation.

In a full size truck, you may as well get the small-block V-8 motor ... it doesn't matter whether that's a GM, Ford or Dodge/RAM make. There is not much difference in fuel economy between the small V8's and any V6 (or Ford's inline 6 if you are buying that old), and if you are actually using the truck as a truck ... that is hauling or towing loads ... the V6's struggle and burn more fuel than the V8 does. If you are driving around empty all the time, the V6 might offer a fuel economy advantage, but that begs the question as to why you are driving a truck in the first place.

The Dodge/RAM V6's are decent motors, perhaps the best of the Big3 offerings, it's not about the quality of the unit. You just don't save much gas ... maybe none at all ... in a full size truck with that size of motor. Get the smaller V8.

A 2WD truck will be much cheaper to operate than a 4WD unit, especially a used one. There is $2,000 worth of front end work every 4WD truck needs every 80,000 miles or so, versus perhaps $800 worth if 2WD. Labor costs can up those numbers considerably, depending on where you live and who you get to do the work. You might be buying right at the point where you need to throw more money at it almost from day one. Take that into consideration when pricing your used truck.

I've never had problems with a 2WD truck in the occasional off-road excursion, so honestly assess how often you think you would need that facility. Once or twice a year is not enough; you could spend money on better tires and probably be just as good off road if it's only occasional. [censored], you could spend money on tow trucks and still be dollars ahead, for that matter. Think about what you need versus what you want.

The Japanese trucks have their following ... they are popular all along the West Coast, for example. But they do not do the same work as a full size pickup from the Big3, and although they are reliable, they are also expensive to repair. You will, for example, need to replace O2 sensors if you keep the truck long enough. Reliable does not mean never buying parts. The key feature is they are more manouverable and are nice on things like logging roads due to being smaller. They don't carry or tow as much, although many people don't need to carry more than 800 pounds or tow more than 5,000 pounds, if you do they won't do.

The Hemi motor is a gas guzzler. Just so you know.

There is some merit to the idea of buying a trailer and not a truck at all. The problem with that is the car or SUV that can haul a decent loaded trailer is not exactly an economy vehicle, and will be burning more gas than your Honda Civic. So you don't really save anything in the long run.

++++1000

You are so right and everything makes sense. Sometimes I find it weird too, one person sitting in a huge/monster truck and driving on the free way, not sure how they can afford the gas? In west coast and east coast, I have seen japanese trucks being driven for commute purposes. I have rarely seen someone hauling big loads, other than Big3, as you mentioned.

I don't need to buy, because I want it. I am just considering it because I think it can be helpful. But like I said, I don't need to tow everyday and I really don't need a truck on daily basis, so I am really reconsidering my idea based on the input from all of you truck owners.

Originally Posted By: fsdork

I couldn't agree with this more. 4x4 is great if you need it, but more expensive to run. Also, I would expect to see 2wd trucks have less residual value on the used market. 4x4 trucks don't seem to drop below a certain price threshold until they really start to break.

You may also want to consider the difference in price for a single cab vs. extended vs. crew. More space in the cab usually = more money. If you can get by with a single cab 2wd truck, I would imagine you could find some good deals out there.

I am perfectly fine and content with a single cabin 2WD or a small one. S-10 would fulfill it? Do you have any particular suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back