IF you were to buy a 3/4 ton truck........

I have the exact same opinion and did the same. My opinion of trucks in general didn't matter to this discussion as I can see reasons when I would need one and picked my preference from there. I have trucks I like, they just don't fit my use.
There’s nothing wrong with having a truck that doesn’t fit a use profile. I own three. One I bought legitimately to lug large amounts of building materials on my schedule. One I’ve owned forever and is an off-roading truck. The third I just wanted since I was a teenager.

The difference? I own a fleet of other vehicles too, so I’m. To reliant on some beheamouth guzzler (actually the diesels do well on fuel) to get groceries or commute.

The OP said occasional use by an older person. Not necessarily a DD unless I missed something. So the calculus is different…

There’s nothing wrong with having a truck that doesn’t fit a use profile. I own three. One I bought legitimately to lug large amounts of building materials on my schedule. One I’ve owned forever and is an off-roading truck. The third I just wanted since I was a teenager.

The difference? I own a fleet of other vehicles too, so I’m. To reliant on some beheamouth guzzler (actually the diesels do well on fuel) to get groceries or commute.

The OP said occasional use by an older person. Not necessarily a DD unless I missed something. So the calculus is different…
I agree. There are some people who want a certain vehicle because they want it, nothing more than that. Be it a high performance sports car that they'll never race, or a 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 pickup that will never go off road, never see a beach or snowflake, and never tow. I would hate to think that right is slowly being taken away but sometimes I feel like it is. Certain people reach an age or a time in their life where they can afford to buy or do anything they want, and they should. As I understand it we only get one shot at this life, so go for it.

Last edited:
I agree. There are some people who want a certain vehicle because they want it, nothing more than that. Be it a high performance sports car that they'll never race, or a 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 pickup that will never go off road, never see a beach or snowflake, and never tow. I would hate to think that right is slowly being taken away but sometimes I feel like it is. Certain people reach an age or a time in their life where they can afford to buy or do anything they want, and they should. As I understand it we only get on shot at this life, so go for it.
Yes, this is why I have to laugh when folks are worried about towing capacity of electric trucks. The vast majority of those trucks will never tow. They are just pavement queens for driving to work.

I agree. There are some people who want a certain vehicle because they want it, nothing more than that. Be it a high performance sports car that they'll never race, or a 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 pickup that will never go off road, never see a beach or snowflake, and never tow. I would hate to think that right is slowly being taken away but sometimes I feel like it is. Certain people reach an age or a time in their life where they can afford to buy or do anything they want, and they should. As I understand it we only get one shot at this life, so go for it.
Yep I don't daily drive mine. Picked it up end of September and hit 1200 miles today. I am not going to hash it out here again, because it becomes a **** show of people trying to tell people what to drive or what they are compensating for. I knew a guy in the Navy with a huge, lifted truck, his license plate frame said. "Confirmation not compensation." We always laughed at it.

I’d imagine the 4.10 truck with fewer gears is also screaming on the highway over 65mph…
I had an 89 GMC 1 ton for years. 454, 3 speed auto, non-lock up converter, and 4.10s...65 was like 3500 RPM out of a 454.

The 2002 was a 6.0, 4L80E, and 4.10s. 60 was like 2200 RPM. The 2017 was a 6.0, 6L90E and 4.10's. 60 was like 1800 RPM.

The 2024 is 60 is about 14-1500 RPM.

Yep I don't daily drive mine. Picked it up end of September and hit 1200 miles today. I am not going to hash it out here again, because it becomes a **** show of people trying to tell people what to drive or what they are compensating for. I knew a guy in the Navy with a huge, lifted truck, his license plate frame said. "Confirmation not compensation." We always laughed at it.
I hear ya. When I bought my JK Rubicon a very dear friend, God rest her soul, asked me why did you buy that? I said I wanted it, the conversation pretty much ended there. She said good answer, we laughed and had a drink. Why do people buy Rolex watches when a Timex keeps better time? Because last time I checked this was still the USA.

I hear ya. When I bought my JK Rubicon a very dear friend, God rest her soul asked me why did you buy that? I said I wanted it, the conversation pretty much ended there. She said good answer, we laughed and had a drink. Why do people buy Rolex watches when a Timex keeps better time? Because last time I checked this was still the USA.
I would venture to say the only two cars I own that people really couldn't say were some type of "symbol" are the Malibu and the Lacrosse, but I am sure someone could find something wrong with those too.

All I said was my selection preferences and that I was not using that to judge this choice. I definitely have trucks I choose over others and I would go for the Ram in this case.

Yes, this is why I have to laugh when folks are worried about towing capacity of electric trucks. The vast majority of those trucks will never tow. They are just pavement queens for driving to work.
The funny thing is that the only way I'd select an EV truck is if I wasn't towing and if I was towing I'd select a truck for obvious reasons, so this this EV lovin' truck hatin' guy would have an ICE truck without question if I needed it. 😂

I'm just realistic and I like simplicity and efficiency at the same time. That math gets a different answer when you change variables. I guess you could just say I prefer the right tool for the right job. A truck is a pretty good multitool in just the same way a hatchback is as soon as a few variables change. Probably why I've owned both.

I don't worry whether other people buy them now and can't tow, that's their problem for knowingly buying something that doesn't work, all the reviews point this out in no uncertain terms.

I DO care about how electric trucks are going to be the only choice in a matter of years when they and/or the infrastructure are clearly not ready but being forced upon us anyway. That's where the majority of the push back is coming from, nobody is "worried about towing capacity of electric trucks" for other people today.

I had an 89 GMC 1 ton for years. 454, 3 speed auto, non-lock up converter, and 4.10s...65 was like 3500 RPM out of a 454.

The 2002 was a 6.0, 4L80E, and 4.10s. 60 was like 2200 RPM. The 2017 was a 6.0, 6L90E and 4.10's. 60 was like 1800 RPM.

The 2024 is 60 is about 14-1500 RPM.
Yep, this all a moving target. The old school “ three speed hydramatic with 4.10 gears “ meant something. Now it’s just an old man fascination left over from the old days. Flame suit on.

Last edited:
Yep, this all a moving target. The old school “ three speed hydramatic with 4.10 gears “ meant something. Now it’s just an old man fascination left over from the old days. Flame suit on.
I don't disagree, that truck was solid, but my Caprice or WS6 or any current 1/2 ton would be better.

Here is a spec sheet from Ram. Even with the 1000 ft lb diesels you can have a 3.73 or 4.1. Really, the 4.1 is for the old boys who think a serious towing machine needs a 4.1. Ram doesn't want to lose sales to Chevy or Ford by deleting a 4.1 option. One thing you do get with a 4.1 is that the driveshaft will have a slightly less amount of torque going through the universal joints but I believe they have worked worked this out with the 3.73 configuration. Enjoy.

47A0233A-46A9-4681-BDFB-34ABDA1F0AF6.jpeg

Last edited:
can't speak to the 6.6 gasser but I am very happy with my 6.0 2500HD. of course if i towed heavy in the mountains i would probably want something newer with more power, but it has been perfectly reliable for 110k miles.

All the data, specs and technical stats mentioned aside - all three trucks are basically equal with not one being so much better then the others that you have to buy that particular truck. Either of them will serve your purposes well. No need in the most powerful or highest GVWR if you are not using the high end of the capacity. Choose what features you want and shop by price across all three.

My personal opinion is that the RAM will make you more happy in the cabin as the interior is the nicest with GM finally starting to catch up with the current line up and Ford in 3rd. Exterior looks are subjective. Everyone loves their brand, myself included ain't gonna lie. I used to be all GM trucks until going RAM in 2016 and have not looked back since. I will always own a RAM. My second choice of the three would be the GMC then Chevrolet (based on looks). I personally don't like Fords so I don't cross shop them.

Leftover but still viable. Yesterday afternoon activities. Wet Silver Maple, 62 Dodge D 200. 318 automatic with 4:10. It takes about 3,000 lbs in the back to get it to squat that much. Wasn't on the stops yet either.
20240227_163435.jpg

Back