Wix filters made in China now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to buy and OEM air filter today but the only thing I could find that I thought was decent was a Wix. So I pay the man and come home and in very small print on the box it says made in China. I had no choice but to put it in because I was desperate. Is the the new norm from Wix?

I noticed they were "made in china" a year or so ago. Needless to say, I stopped buying them.
Since the labor is so much less there than it is here, one would think Wix would lower their prices, lol. Of course that is not the case.

So now some "big wig" who made the decision to ship the manufacturing overseas to raise the company's profit margin higher probably got quite a large bonus while the factory workers' lost their jobs. I would love to have the authority to walk into his/hers office and tell that person that we found someone from china to do his job for $30,000 a year. Just a dream......

Originally Posted By: miked2

So now some "big wig" who made the decision to ship the manufacturing overseas to raise the company's profit margin higher probably got quite a large bonus while the factory workers' lost their jobs. I would love to have the authority to walk into his/hers office and tell that person that we found someone from china to do his job for $30,000 a year. Just a dream......
\

Actually at the middle manglement level this is happening now, I see NO reason why it can't happen with executive level positions, since most times those people rarely ACCOMPLISH much, instead they just delegate it out to underlings.

It will be a pleasure to see these greedy creatures reap what they sow in the end.

I mean honestly what does a CEO actually DO himself? Totally dispensable commodities are CEOs and other so called executive
MANGLEMENT.

Originally Posted By: nomochevys
I tried to buy and OEM air filter today but the only thing I could find that I thought was decent was a Wix. So I pay the man and come home and in very small print on the box it says made in China. I had no choice but to put it in because I was desperate. Is the the new norm from Wix?

I will go to any length possible to avoid something made in China. Not always possible, but when it is even remotely possible, I do it.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
What is the part number for that??

Box says 46117. I always make an effort to support USA made products and made the mistake of assuming I was today. I will not make this mistake again. No more Wix filters for me.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob

I will go to any length possible to avoid something made in China. Not always possible, but when it is even remotely possible, I do it.

I do the same but sometimes its nearly impossible. I just wanted to give those who might care a heads up on this. I am sure not all Wix filters are made in China but the one in my truck now sure is!!

That is one reason I use Baldwin filters, well that and they're built like a tank and I can always find a oversize filter for my vehicle.

ROD
Yes, I know Baldwin has a factory in China. But the one's I buy are made in the USA.

The half dozen WIX 57356 Oil Filters I just bought for my Honda Accord are all made in the US. I have to admit (even though I'm a Canadian) that being made in the USA was a factor in selecting the WIX brand.

Ecotourist

Wix filters made in China now?

Some part numbers may be made there or sourced from companies that make them there.

There are still a lot of wix filters that are made in the USA. And, Wix has a number of facilities. They have facilities in the USA, Mexico, Venezuela, Poland, Brazil, China and others.
http://www.wixfilters.com/About/PlantLocations.aspx

I recently bought quite a few from O'Reilly Auto Parts. I have five oil filters that I bought recently. All five are made in the USA.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

\

Actually at the middle manglement level this is happening now, I see NO reason why it can't happen with executive level positions, since most times those people rarely ACCOMPLISH much, instead they just delegate it out to underlings.

It will be a pleasure to see these greedy creatures reap what they sow in the end.

I mean honestly what does a CEO actually DO himself? Totally dispensable commodities are CEOs and other so called executive
MANGLEMENT.

Why so much hate for the successful rich man? Has the hatred now extended beyond the CEO, and now you even hate middle management? Is it only because you have absolutely no ambition so you instead sit around and get angry at people who are more successful than you? I don't care if you're not ambitious at all but do us all a favor and quit complaining about those who do succeed.

Why so much hate for the successful rich man? Has the hatred now extended beyond the CEO, and now you even hate middle management? Is it only because you have absolutely no ambition so you instead sit around and get angry at people who are more successful than you? I don't care if you're not ambitious at all but do us all a favor and quit complaining about those who do succeed.

This is not about hate for "the successful rich man". If someone makes a good living by working hard, good for him!!! When someone takes jobs from other people so he can be "rich", that is a different story. Then, people go on unemployment and who pays for that? Taxes must go up, health care cost go up and so on. Economics 101, very simple.

For each manufacturing job in this Country, as many as 10 other jobs may be created. Think about it; suppliers, truckers, construction workers, white collar jobs, cleaners, trash removal, people that fill vending machines, UPS drivers. I can go on and on.

There is plenty of room for "the successful rich man" and middle management, just not at the expense of so many others. Just my 2 cents....

This is not about hate for "the successful rich man". If someone makes a good living by working hard, good for him!!! When someone takes jobs from other people so he can be "rich", that is a different story. Then, people go on unemployment and who pays for that? Taxes must go up, health care cost go up and so on. Economics 101, very simple.

For each manufacturing job in this Country, as many as 10 other jobs may be created. Think about it; suppliers, truckers, construction workers, white collar jobs, cleaners, trash removal, people that fill vending machines, UPS drivers. I can go on and on.

There is plenty of room for "the successful rich man" and middle management, just not at the expense of so many others. Just my 2 cents....

There's actually pretty little that goes into manufacturing labor as a relative cost. Most of this stuff is made by machine. As far as I can tell, Wix is no longer in the business of actually making its own air filters.

I had a part time job at a large shipping company. All this stuff shipped from overseas in 40 ft shipping containers is creating jobs for merchant seamen, longshoreman, etc. as well as the white collar jobs to coordinate the shipping logistics. They still have to be transported by rail and/or truck.

I work in the electronics industry, where American manufacturing barely exists. There's still some semiconductor manufacturing, but then the completed parts are shipped off to Asia for packaging.

I gag everytime I see someone walking around with an iPhone. Made in China by slave labor under contract with a company that uses elaborate tax dodges to avoid paying their fair share of U.S taxes. GE is another one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: y_p_w

There's actually pretty little that goes into manufacturing labor as a relative cost. Most of this stuff is made by machine. As far as I can tell, Wix is no longer in the business of actually making its own air filters.

I had a part time job at a large shipping company. All this stuff shipped from overseas in 40 ft shipping containers is creating jobs for merchant seamen, longshoreman, etc. as well as the white collar jobs to coordinate the shipping logistics. They still have to be transported by rail and/or truck.

I work in the electronics industry, where American manufacturing barely exists. There's still some semiconductor manufacturing, but then the completed parts are shipped off to Asia for packaging.

You are absolutely correct. Manufacturing has a huge multiplier effect on job creation.

I have heard that most filter media regardless of the country of origin on the actual filter comes from India. If you look at the Thomas Register or any other supplier directory, this seems to be the case.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob

I gag everytime I see someone walking around with an iPhone. Made in China by slave labor under contract with a company that uses elaborate tax dodges to avoid paying their fair share of U.S taxes. GE is another one.

There's barely any Chinese content in an iPhone other than labor and maybe the packaging. The "bill of materials" in an iPhone are mostly from the US, Japan, and Korea. Most of the electronic parts are designed in the US providing good jobs in the electronics industry. It also isn't what I would consider "slave labor". They get paid pretty well considering the prevailing wages back home. Most employees last a few years and want to move back to the countryside and smaller towns they came from.

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pa...wn-Reveals.aspx

It has gotten to the point where Apple is moving some assembly jobs back to the US. However, the key to why they like assembly in China is because these companies like Foxconn, Acer, and Quanta are extremely reliable and can ramp up production quickly. Apple isn't that concerned with labor costs, but that in this ultra competitive marketplace they need suppliers who can bust their [censored] off getting full production up in a week. It's not so much the Chinese workforce (which is actually becoming more expensive than other parts of Asia) but the Taiwanese companies that operate these factories.

Please can somebody honestly explain the OH MY GOD salaries CEO's get? Because from what I've seen, they ain't worth it for what they do......what do they do again???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back