Can't find an air filter filter to fit our fj

Stock air box on our 2007 fjcruiser. I've tried wix,Napa, stp,champion, Purolator, super tech( only one made in USA btw) and a few others.

The element is too loose/ short and does not seal. This allows dirt to completely bypass the filter.

Napa is ordering me a denso. If that does not fit what next? Can the plastic housing " grow" over time.

View attachment 199759

I had a problem like this on my wife's Hyundai. Pretty much got told I was stupid and didn't know what I was doing. This looks a bit worse than air filter letting dirt by problem.
I tried every filter I could get, a Bosch seems to fit pretty good.
Yeah if the filter just jams in there to make a tight seal, it seems to get loose over time. As in 4 years or so time.
Might be time to get an k&n aftermarket intake, in theory it should let less dirt though.

Not yet. Trying to avoid that as it's not rebuildable. Something about the cylinder material.

They can be rebuilt, most just don't bother. There's not much of a demand, as the engines are generally very reliable. But Darton made/makes sleeves for the 1GR-FE block.

I'd likely go with the recommendation from @RooflessVW ^^^^^

I'm having a hard time with the idea that the air filter housing "grew". Any temperature high enough to do that, would deform all of the plastic under the hood.

You probably can't ship a Cold Air Intake to your address directly, but could ship it to someone outside of Ca, and have them ship it to you...

TRD, AFE, Volant, all make decent air intakes which should fix the issue.

Napa is ordering me a denso. If that does not work I'll have to go to the dealer. I don't normally go that direction plus they were not open today when I found this problem

So there are more than a few problems with your assessment & your thought process. The rubber seal that is on the Denso or the Wix filter actually contacts the charcoal membrane of the plenum assembly. This inturn, seals the filter on that side. The other side is sealed against the housing that has the flexible tube.

You are just honestly overthinking it. It does not, it will not, ever fit tightly in the area you are speaking of. It’s just not designed that way.

Lastly, I didn’t see it, is the charcoal membrane screen assembly still in the plenum, or has it been removed?

Last edited:
Back