Can't find an air filter filter to fit our fj

Stock air box on our 2007 fjcruiser. I've tried wix,Napa, stp,champion, Purolator, super tech( only one made in USA btw) and a few others.

The element is too loose/ short and does not seal. This allows dirt to completely bypass the filter.

Napa is ordering me a denso. If that does not fit what next? Can the plastic housing " grow" over time.

IMG_20240121_150817443~2.jpg

Napa is ordering me a denso. If that does not work I'll have to go to the dealer. I don't normally go that direction plus they were not open today when I found this problem
I know this sounds stupid, but is there a difference in the size of the filter presently installed and one of the new ones? Which dimensions are wrong, comparing filter to filter?

IF the housing did "grow" over time, then the existing filter should be too small as well.

I know this sounds stupid, but is there a difference in the size of the filter presently installed and one of the new ones? Which dimensions are wrong, comparing filter to filter?

IF the housing did "grow" over time, then the existing filter should be too small as well.
So far every brand is too small

Real FJs have round filters I think ;)

Maybe Im wrong on that and this, but the video is showing I think, the engagement with the lid. Not the bottom/engine intake side. That’s where the seal is made. Does it fit any better on the other receiving end? If so what you’re showing may not matter a ton.

So far every brand is too small
Welcome to my world.

I've been getting HIGHER than normal Si Silicon with my 2007 FJ Cruiser UOA reports for 14 yrs. I've never found an induction leak. I've added extra wx strip where the 2 halves come together and the filter seals, and nope. I've added glue to various airbox manufacturing seams, nope.

I've tried a lot a different brand air filters. They all fit the same.

229k miles now and it does NOT use any oil and hasn't needed any mx beyond spark plugs every 50k miles.

IMO, the Si hasn't harmed anything because I have always had a EaBP90 remote mounted engine oil bypass filter setup and a much larger than stock and efficient XG8A full flow filter.

Last edited:
I want to see a picture of the old filter that's in there and fits next to an aftermarket filter that doesn't fit :D

Denso should fit perfect, and the dealer OEM Toyota filter is probably made by Denso, too.

Otherwise, try installing in in the air box first like in the 1A Auto video :unsure:

It probably seems sloppy because your suppose to install the filter into the Air Box first..... just like the 1A Auto video . It then fits into the other half attached to the motor . I think you just did it backwards .
I do instal it that way. It can't be installed any other way. The element is too short and even if I installed in the lid it will not seal on each end. It leaves large gaps.

I checked the filter today and found the whole intake full of dust after the filter.

Back