Can't find an air filter filter to fit our fj

I know this sounds stupid, but is there a difference in the size of the filter presently installed and one of the new ones? Which dimensions are wrong, comparing filter to filter?

IF the housing did "grow" over time, then the existing filter should be too small as well.
The old filter was too small also. That's why my air intake is full of dust

Would it be possible for you to take a video of you installing the filter into the airbox cover so that we can see how tight it fits into that section? I looked up several filters from various manufacturers and the dimensions for the Toyota 17801-0P010 filter are all within 0.10" of each other. With variances like that I can't imagine there being such a drastic fitment problem.

1705924159729.jpg

I have one on my F-150 and a previous F-150 that I drove to 225,000 miles they do work.
Did you do oil analyses and drive in the No. California desert?

If, and that's the biggest 'if' I can imagine, you use an undersized filter element and fill in a gap, carefully fabricate something substantial using wood and silicone rubber to effect a real seal.
No foam or tissue paper.
Good luck.

Shouldn't the very next consideration be ridding the air intake and engine of accumulated dirt?

edit: I reread post #1 and see this is your vehicle. Is this the first time you've serviced it yourself? Nothing seems plausible here.
It "couldn't've" left the factory that way. You never would have installed that element yourself or failed to see the incorrect size.
Did you have it serviced by someone else before?

This is actually mind-blowing. Excuse the sixtiesism.

Last edited:
Did you do oil analyses and drive in the No. California desert?

If, and that's the biggest 'if' I can imagine, you use an undersized filter element and fill in a gap, carefully fabricate something substantial using wood and silicone rubber to effect a real seal.
No foam or tissue paper.
Good luck.

Shouldn't the very next consideration be ridding the air intake and engine of accumulated dirt?

edit: I reread post #1 and see this is your vehicle. Is this the first time you've serviced it yourself? Nothing seems plausible here.
It "couldn't've" left the factory that way. You never would have installed that element yourself or failed to see the incorrect size.
Did you have it serviced by someone else before?

This is actually mind-blowing. Excuse the sixtiesism.
Only service by me since we bought it a few years ago. In the past I noticed it but thought it would "self center" when installed. It won't. There's no way to guarantee it's centered when I put the lid on and no way to tell if it did or not.

When I had my 92 Toyota truck it had a flat round filter that wouldn't seal, properly until I put RTV on the clean side to seal it.

Reactions: JC1
I ran into this exact problem attempting to use a Napa Pro Select air filter in our 2019 Nissan Pathfinder. The dimensions were very slightly off and there wasn't wire mesh on the clean side of the pro select. This resulted in the filter sagging into the housing slighting. This resulted in MAF codes shortly after install. This was the only filter Napa had. Ran to carquest. Carquest brand was a good fit.

Obviously none of us are standing there with you, but I think these filters are actually OK. Don't look at this as one piece of a puzzle; look at the whole puzzle when assembled.

- the air filter itself fits into the "upstream" side of that sub-assembly. The pleats get pointed upstream. And the whole filter fits inside of the "male" part of the filter (attached to the flexible hose).

- then that sub-assembly fits itself into the main house which is attached to the engine. So it becomes centered once the sub-assembly is placed into the main assembly.

Don't try to fit the air filter into the main assembly on the engine. Rather, see how well the filter itself fits into the upstream intake tract sub-assembly.

The air filter is a "male" component to the female part of the upstream intake housing, but then that combo reverses roles and becomes a "male" part to the main housing on the engine (a female part).
(look closely at the video that SC Maintenance posted on the previous page)
The filter fits inside the upstream housing, then that upstream housing fits inside the main engine-side housing.

I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of those filters; you're trying to judge the filter fitment to the wrong part. Mate it to the upstream intake housing, not the downstream main body.

That's as best i can tell from the various videos posted in this thread.

Last edited:
Obviously none of us are standing there with you, but I think these filters are actually OK. Don't look at this as one piece of a puzzle; look at the whole puzzle when assembled.

- the air filter itself fits into the "upstream" side of that sub-assembly. The pleats get pointed upstream. And the whole filter fits inside of the "male" part of the filter (attached to the flexible hose).

- then that sub-assembly fits itself into the main house which is attached to the engine. So it becomes centered once the sub-assembly is placed into the main assembly.

Don't try to fit the air filter into the main assembly on the engine. Rather, see how well the filter itself fits into the upstream intake tract sub-assembly.

The air filter is a "male" component to the female part of the upstream intake housing, but then that combo reverses roles and becomes a "male" part to the main housing on the engine (a female part).
(look closely at the video that SC Maintenance posted on the previous page)
The filter fits inside the upstream housing, then that upstream housing fits inside the main engine-side housing.

I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of those filters; you're trying to judge the filter fitment to the wrong part. Mate it to the upstream intake housing, not the downstream main body.

That's as best i can tell from the various videos posted in this thread.
I can see with my eyes that the filter is too small to completely cover the intake "hole". I wish y'all were here to see the problem. My next guess is that the plastic housing " grew" somehow . In the past it sealed ok.

Does the filter fit snugly inside the upstream filter housing?

My point is that maybe there are two sealing conditions
- filter seals to upstream housing
- upstream housing seals to main housing body

You are presuming the filter is supposed to seal directly to the main housing; that may not be the case.

That doesn't mean something isn't wrong, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree here.
If you're getting Si in your engine, it may be due to a poor seal on another component.

I can see with my eyes that the filter is too small to completely cover the intake "hole". I wish y'all were here to see the problem. My next guess is that the plastic housing " grew" somehow . In the past it sealed ok.
It’s entirely possible that the filter box has warped. A new filter box is going to run you around $600.

I've tried wix,Napa, stp,champion, Purolator, super tech
So wix, napa, and Purolator are likely all the same from M&H - just guessing? Maybe different materials, but maybe off the same pattern.

Supertech and Champion are first brands. I think STP might be also.

I am interested to see what the Denso does. I presume Denso is the OEM supplier to Toyota - but its not guaranteed - even though Toyota owns most of Denso.

So wix, napa, and Purolator are likely all the same from M&H - just guessing? Maybe different materials, but maybe off the same pattern.

Supertech and Champion are first brands. I think STP might be also.

I am interested to see what the Denso does. I presume Denso is the OEM supplier to Toyota - but its not guaranteed - even though Toyota owns most of Denso.
Denso aftermarket are often not the same as dealer/OE Toyota Denso filters. I have seen aftermarket Denso combine part numbers on air filters with similar dimensions, where the dealer offered each under unique part numbers.

denso ftf is a mixed bag; but fitment should not be an issue.

the downsides is materials quality. Ftf oil filters run non silicone advs while their Toyota boxed denso oes, are silicon.

Back