Wix filter garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually GM OE isn't more expensive--but one item on my wife's car that is through the roof for OE. The cabin air filter, being around $23-$25. On my Lexus I think Denso aftermarket was maybe $8.
But how much is the OE Lexus filter?

Pulled my Project farm approved Wix filter out of my Ford FoST only to find the intake tract full of dust. Upon inspection of the filter, I found the adhesive binding the media to the plastic housing had weakened. So I threw my trusty k$n back in there with a panty hose pre-filter on it. Get a wix they said, it’ll be great they said….
The Motorcraft OEM filters have worked well for me in this application.

Last edited:
Pulled my Project farm approved Wix filter out of my Ford FoST only to find the intake tract full of dust. Upon inspection of the filter, I found the adhesive binding the media to the plastic housing had weakened. So I threw my trusty k$n back in there with a panty hose pre-filter on it. Get a wix they said, it’ll be great they said….View attachment 168768
How many times has wix let you down. I’ve used wix plenty of times in the past with no problems. Currently running a microgaurd which I believe is a wix offshoot and it is made well.

Don't remember the article, but I recall OE AC Delco air filters being very highly rated in terms of filtration, along with the Green Filter being more efficient in terms of airflow.

IME, K&N gives good airflow, but at the expense of very fine particles getting by.

OE GM or Green for me, or Amsoil when applicable.

i have run the cheapest rockauto filters, and frequently changed them. Quality was never great. I then switched over to OE, and quality was great but upfront cost was high.

Throttle bodies seemed equally clean. So nowdays I just coin flip which i want to run, just like wipers:

1 oem filter is $20 lasts 20k miles
4 cheap engine air filters is $20 lasts same miles.

thats my napkin math, of course yours may vary due to use conditions and costs

Pulled my Project farm approved Wix filter out of my Ford FoST only to find the intake tract full of dust. Upon inspection of the filter, I found the adhesive binding the media to the plastic housing had weakened. So I threw my trusty k$n back in there with a panty hose pre-filter on it. Get a wix they said, it’ll be great they said….
I have always wondered whether bonding paper to hard plastic is really the best design. I'm sure that is exactly how the OE filter is made, but it doesn't look like this design is very forgiving to any slight manufacturing issues or any pulling / flexing forces that could happen during installation and removal.
Here's what I'll tell you all. I live in a Charlotte Suburb (Fort Mill, SC.) Work in North Charlotte. WIX is one of our clients in Gaston County. Been there several times. Since they were bought by M&H, a lot of corners have been cut, less filters made in the usa, ETC. so, ymmv on these.
That is very unfortunate to hear, but it tracks with experiences posted in the oil filter forum. I'm surprised to see quality drop under a MANN+HUMMEL. German companies are usually fairly strict about precision and attention to detail. Prices have gone way up and quality seems to be going down... no wonder multiple auto stores have transitioned their house brands to other manufacturers.

I want them to succeed for the sake of the employees and American manufacturing, especially since NC is home to WIX and Purolator and a lot of filters are made in those plants.

I would take ANY pleated paper filter over K&N.
Can’t tell you how many fouled MAF sensors are ruined by K&N filters. When I see P0102, P0103, P0104, P0174, P0171 I go straight to the air box and majority of time it’s a K&N filter. We toss them across the shop and tell each other another one. K&N makes us some money. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back