WOULD MEMBERS PLEASE...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by gfh77665
Most OP's ask a pointed question for a reason. I know I do, and I don't always write up a lenghty explanation why. Going off on tangents with the replies rarely help much. JMO

I did everything I could to avoid off-topic, unhelpful responses when I asked about if my current air compressor would work with a pneumatic brake bleeder. Answers from 'yes' to 'no', to 'don't get that bleeder', to 'just do a gravity bleed', and so on. It's like everyone ran out of their ADD medication. Focus people ! I ignored the stupid answers and then added a comment thanking those who answered on-topic and guess what ? The off-topic answerers tried to make a big deal about that response of mine !

Could be they got a trophy for playing baseball as a kid even though they never played ball---

Where do you draw the line, though? I'd prefer one rude person to sarcastically answer my question correctly or bluntly tell me that I'm a dumb dumb than 30 posters make stuff up, based on no practical experience.

We all also see a ton of stuff parroted here that adds no value. "Your problem is definitely fuel, spark or air. Check those things" lol

My point is, you should report people who are maliciously trying to derail the thread; otherwise, as bbhero says, just go with the flow. This is the etherwebs, after all.

Originally Posted by Donald
Its a forum with volunteer moderators. Not paid people like Facebook to monitor things. People have different senses of humor. And different thickness of skin.

I say go with the flow. If someone is really out of line refer to a moderator.

+1

Life isn't fun without a little sarcasm. The problem, is when people don't appropriately use emojis to convey their facetiousness.

Some people also have bad days and get a little impatient with lazy OP's or people within the thread, while by-and-large, they're normally respectful and helpful.

These are all great points.

I know I use sarcasm one some of my posts.

One of the good pieces of advice is 'If you don't have anything good to say, then say nothing", is hard for me to do that even after 51 years on this planet.

It's hard to be humorous when you are silent.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Yup, this came up recently in a thread where the whole thing derailed on something that was in no way relevant to the OP's query.

Sounds like every single wax thread.

It is just about every thread... It is the culture that has been created by the staff and lack of focus in the forum. IMO the first thing is that the forum is too diverse meaning too many areas not related to oil.

Lot of know it alls too, they respond to every question like they are an expert, but let them have to try to change a shock or brake caliper and you've got 5 threads asking questions about how to accomplish the most basic task.

Just watch the forum activity, It can go whole days at times with no activity in the UOA section yet there will be two or three pages in general discussion in the same period.

Bob ain't really the oil guy anymore, because Bob is trying to offer something for anybody...

That is my two cents...
49.gif
27.gif

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Yup, this came up recently in a thread where the whole thing derailed on something that was in no way relevant to the OP's query.

It is just about every thread... It is the culture that has been created by the staff and lack of focus in the forum. IMO the first thing is that the forum is too diverse meaning too many areas not related to oil.

Lot of know it alls too, they respond to every question like they are an expert, but let them have to try to change a shock or brake caliper and you've got 5 threads asking questions about how to accomplish the most basic task.

Just watch the forum activity, It can go whole days at times with no activity in the UOA section yet there will be two or three pages in general discussion in the same period.

Bob ain't really the oil guy anymore, because Bob is trying to offer something for anybody...

That is my two cents...
49.gif
27.gif

I too have noticed that the "UOA as a hobby" threads that used to be VERY prevalent here are nearly gone. I think people have given up on the idea that you can read a UOA's tea leaves and divine any useful information without consistency. Trying 10 oils at 10 random intervals teaches you nothing, but is a fine way to blow $200.

You know though, threads being derailed here is really nothing new. I think my first thread was asking if a 0W-40 or 5W-30 would be suitable in an engine that had previously been running 15W-50... And I was told to "sell the car" if I didn't want to "run the right oil."

But! I have noticed a sharp decline in the pointless "off topic" threads lately... Where have their proprietors gone?

This site has become an enthusiast and general knowledge site. There are many members who know a lot (shout out to Molakule), but there is a definite dearth in members who post a TON about relevant, lubrication-related topics.

You're more likely to discussing general maintenance than UOA here now, and I'm fine with that.

That is my two cents...
49.gif
27.gif

Like every other site, this one is truly bobistheoilbutalsoneedstopaythebillsguy

//

UOA don't really offer much benefit in the real world. Most people will still run an overly conservative OCI, which has been the trend lately. There are more people now than ever, it seems, who want to run 5k intervals than 10k. What value would an UOA serve? Those who follow their OLM and exceed 10k miles on synthetic are in the same boat. The likelihood of someone's 2014 engine showing signs of anything other than, "you could extend to 15k if you want" are very low.

With that said, I DID learn in my previous WRX STI that I could extend my OCI out to 7.5k+, even though most on the etherwebs thought that was insane! What did I save? Not a whole lot, but the knowledge was interesting.

Also, as my FXT gets older (closer to 100k) I'll likely start sending out sample for analysis, if only because my engine is the first version of it in the States and it would be interesting to add to the database, including both WRX's and FXT's. I also want to see if my wife's new routine of short-trips means we should be shortening the interval.

//

Penultimately, I actually enjoy the non-lubrication-related threads.

I don't have a very big online presence and don't desire to join 15 forums to ask questions that can usually be found by Googling. For those I can't find via Google, there's a OK-to-good chance someone here has some knowledge in the subject field.

Example: several years ago the pulley ate itself in my 1960's gas furnace. I asked here for a decent source for a replacement of such an old part and whether to go with pot metal or stainless (I think those were the options). I was glad to have people here help. A few days later I installed the new pot-metal pulley and was back in business! Saved me an emergency house call and a likely heavy markup in the same part I was able to source online.

//

Finally, if people hated the SUPER OT threads, there would be no posts in these threads. Even those who only join in on the conversation to say how stupid the thread is are likely getting some sort of satisfaction in a holier-than-though-type way. That's fine in OT!

I too have noticed that the "UOA as a hobby" threads that used to be VERY prevalent here are nearly gone. I think people have given up on the idea that you can read a UOA's tea leaves and divine any useful information without consistency. Trying 10 oils at 10 random intervals teaches you nothing, but is a fine way to blow $200.

You know though, threads being derailed here is really nothing new. I think my first thread was asking if a 0W-40 or 5W-30 would be suitable in an engine that had previously been running 15W-50... And I was told to "sell the car" if I didn't want to "run the right oil."

But! I have noticed a sharp decline in the pointless "off topic" threads lately... Where have their proprietors gone?

The off topic question of the day stuff seems to come and go, likely they just get board.

I hear facebook has all but killed online forums anyway, so some of it could be normal attrition too.

I don't necessarily agree that "UOA as a hobby" is a bad thing, it is all data. I do agree the usefulness is in trending and consistency is good. It is all about looking for anomalies for me, but I've never been one to switch brands at a whim.

Post a decently long run though and you'll get comments all the way from "that oil is done" to "what a waste" with no back up and a "try pennzoil yellow bottle" thrown in for good measure. Those will likely be from the "UOA as a hobby" crowd. Those comments lead the legitimate posters to consider why they bother, as I often do.

Filters are the same way, spend a fair amount of time and money trying to show something and you get some moron saying "too much to read" followed by some other moron saying "buy an Ultra" when we are not talking about Ultras.

Yes it is happens everywhere, but this board is worse than most about people answering the question they want to answer vs what was asked. Some answers are insulting to the OP's intelligence . Though there a golden nugget to be found if you're committed, most of it is just worthless black sand. Reading, comprehending and answering on topic... while keeping one's mouth shut if you don't know is something that seems to be a truly lost art around here.

IMO this board would benefit from a 75% reduction in forum categories, coupled with rigorous deletion of off topic post, this will probably result in at least a 75% reduction in membership and traffic, which may not be conducive to ad revenue...

As it is, the serious posters will either just stop posting or when in Rome do as the Romans do... No need to put a ton of effort into a serious post where the board is not serious.

it is called trolling, it kinda shows the posters mindset, no respect or ability to focus on topic on hand,

18.gif

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Char Baby
...stop making comments in a thread that offer no value to the OP or even pertaining to the original question. Or comments filled with sarcasm.

Isn't that what mods are for?

Only idiots need to be moderated/governed. If I fall off topic it's the add but I'm not gonna blame it or apologize for having it lol.

The off topic question of the day stuff seems to come and go, likely they just get board.

I hear facebook has all but killed online forums anyway, so some of it could be normal attrition too.

I don't necessarily agree that "UOA as a hobby" is a bad thing, it is all data. I do agree the usefulness is in trending and consistency is good. It is all about looking for anomalies for me, but I've never been one to switch brands at a whim.

Post a decently long run though and you'll get comments all the way from "that oil is done" to "what a waste" with no back up and a "try pennzoil yellow bottle" thrown in for good measure. Those will likely be from the "UOA as a hobby" crowd. Those comments lead the legitimate posters to consider why they bother, as I often do.

Filters are the same way, spend a fair amount of time and money trying to show something and you get some moron saying "too much to read" followed by some other moron saying "buy an Ultra" when we are not talking about Ultras.

Yes it is happens everywhere, but this board is worse than most about people answering the question they want to answer vs what was asked. Some answers are insulting to the OP's intelligence . Though there a golden nugget to be found if you're committed, most of it is just worthless black sand. Reading, comprehending and answering on topic... while keeping one's mouth shut if you don't know is something that seems to be a truly lost art around here.

IMO this board would benefit from a 75% reduction in forum categories, coupled with rigorous deletion of off topic post, this will probably result in at least a 75% reduction in membership and traffic, which may not be conducive to ad revenue...

As it is, the serious posters will either just stop posting or when in Rome do as the Romans do... No need to put a ton of effort into a serious post where the board is not serious.

Just try to take people's criticism or advice with a grain of salt. Until they pay for your oil and filter... Well I'll just stop right there before someone gets their feelings hurt. Enjoy the forum and know that most people are just as sincere, honest and oil curious as you are.

I started a thread recently with a pretty specific question and got lots of answers and opinions as expected but not one actually addressed the question.

Something about separating the wheat from the chaff comes to mind as well but when the chaff is all gone and there's no wheat....but I got exactly what I paid for and life goes on.

How about the proverbial question "how much should this repair cost me" with a bunch of posters than chiming in that it is cheaper to do the repair yourself. Same thing happens on a boating site I peruse every now and then.

Masters of the obvious, they certainly are.

Originally Posted by AuthorEditor
One person's tangent is another person's useful information. A lot of questions/comments are rather vague, or contain misinformation themselves. Therefore the tangents can be more useful than a direct reply to the OP, which is often unanswerable. Someone will ask something like, "I want to run a 20W-50 in my car that calls for 0W-20 in the manual. Which oil is best?" Well, a direct answer to the question is impossible. All we get is a bunch of opinions. Many of us would go off on a tangent and suggest the OP should use what the manual says and not some ridiculously heavy oil. Just one example of many tangents that might be of much more use to someone trying to learn something.

As the saying goes - "Separate the wheat from the chaff."

As far as sarcasm and snarkiness ... some people use that as a means of communication. If it's not all out blatant personal attacks then somethings sarcasm and snarkiness (with some humor added in always helps) is needed to get a point across for some people. Pretty much a standard chat board thing. But yeah, try to respect everyone as much as possible.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Where do you draw the line, though? I'd prefer one rude person to sarcastically answer my question correctly or bluntly tell me that I'm a dumb dumb than 30 posters make stuff up, based on no practical experience.

This

Hey you get what you pay for...wait what?

Eh, it is the internet it happens everywhere. I enjoy sarcasm and jokes

If I got mad every time I posted in a GM thread where the only thing offered by someone is "Everything GM makes is poop" I would spend a lot time upset.

I come here for entertainment and sometimes to learn some stuff. I do all my work, did all the stuff to the Trans Am myself to get it to run 11's, but I try to remember not everyone is mechanically inclined
and will ask questions other thinks are silly. Does not mean the question is any less important than another one.

Off topic happens a lot in normal conversations, no different here. I would guess just about everyone in here has added a tangent to a thread at some point. I know I am guilty of it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Someone just posted a thread asking "who makes the best filter?". Haha !! That will be a fun one !

What will be the outcome ? Will a determination of which filter is the best come out of it ? Absolutely not !!

You already know the answer to that so unless you are a fanboy and jump on the bandwagon its not worth posting in it.

Old rusty $1.67 filters from RA are the best ... because filtration doesn't matter. Need something to keep the oil from squirting out the oil filter mount - lol.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Old rusty $1.67 filters from RA are the best ... because filtration doesn't matter. Need something to keep the oil from squirting out the oil filter mount - lol.

Can I buy an e-core, snap the cage and pull the element out thru the return hole and then use it that way so I never have to change the filter again? That way I can just keep topping it off with Nitro 70 since the oil more closely resembles used cutting fluid?

Sorry, back on topic. I agree with many posts about general lack of direction. If you search older posts, there is a lot of thoughtful, directed response to the OP. I noticed really in earnest about 6 months ago (maybe a little longer) there were days I would log in and look at all the active threads down the left side of the page, and not see a single one directed towards oil, ATF, or VOA/UOAs. So, while I haven't yet used the ignore function in earnest, there are certainly posters who appear to spend their day looking to parrot only useless bits of info that doesn't benefit anyone.

I personally try to make at least 3 useful, constructive posts for every sarcastic one. Some days I'm successful
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back