How much would you need to save to buy used?

I have been renting for years - they age like cat years bcs most people don’t respect others property … I was flying front row in a brand new 321Neo recently and the guy next to me has his biker boots on the bulkhead - bet he treats rent cars like gold too - LoL …

Last edited:
I have been renting for years - they age like cat years bcs most people don’t respect others property … I was flying front row in a brand new 321Neo recently and the guy next to me has his biker boots on the bulkhead - bet he treats rent cars like gold too - LoL …
In other ground breaking news: don’t marry a prostitute.

$5k is ALOT of money and everyone throws it around like it's pocket change. It's $500/month for 12 months. That is a whole year of payments if you're taking out a loan. It's a free year(or more) of fuel.
Take the discount, buy used.
If we say a 4 year loan for the cars, no money down, and 6% interest you’d pay $503 a month for the used car. The new car would cost you $619 a month. If $116 a month is going to break you neither car is a good option.

If we say a 4 year loan for the cars, no money down, and 6% interest you’d pay $503 a month for the used car. The new car would cost you $619 a month. If $116 a month is going to break you neither car is a good option.
If you made $619 payments on the $503 loan you would get it paid off a year early and free up your cash flow.

In 2020 I paid $26500 for a low mileage 2 year old Toyota Tacoma. New MSRP was $29,xxx with destination included. I saved roughly $3k buying used.

The car was excessively rusty for a 2 year old vehicle(why I brought it is another story). The AC condenser failed. The transmission line failed. The exhaust heat shields rusted away and rattled. The paint on the hood peeled.

For me to save $3k by buying used resulted in me accumulating $3k+ in repairs because the car was not maintained. I know this is an isolated incident but you get where I’m coming from. If I’m going to deal with used car wear & tear I need to get atleast $5k off new MSRP just to have that cushion for repair costs plus my time and effort.

How much do you need to save on a used car to make you choose it over a new one? Here's a specific example I would love to hear your comments on:

Hertz used car sales has a 2023 Camry LE with 13,772 miles for $21,840 plus assorted fees. A local dealer has a new 2024 Camry LE for $26,874, also plus assorted fees I'm sure. Taxes will add 6% on either. Since the Hertz was a rental car I'm guessing Toyota would void the warranty so all you get is a 12 month/12K Hertz warranty.

Is losing the warranty and getting a used car with almost 14K miles worth saving $5K? What would you do?
My 3 year old BMW with 1 full year of warranty left cost 45% of its new replacement. I had to have the back bumper repaired and repainted (it had a couple of small dings). I had all of the defects repaired in that final year of warranty and got almost 20 years of reliable service out of it so it was a good purchase. Sold it to my nephew for a bargain price. Two years later he's still driving it so I think he got good value too.

With a Honda or Toyota I'd buy new. They hold their value so well I don't see the point of buying them used.

This is the Hertz car in case anyone wants to buy it for themselves: https://www.hertzcarsales.com/certi...ta-Camry-973fc4f80a0e081d455631dafcb77844.htm

It’s literally sitting in the shop in the photos.

You in the SW Florida area. FWIW I have purchased a car from hertz.
they beauty of them is they probably still have a factory warranty.
have had some maintenance and probably had the crap ran out of them a few times..

Honestly, since 1995 I have only purchased one brand new vehicle and that was in 2016...
so anything I bought was used. some used alot

I haven’t bought a new vehicle since 1995, and drove it 19 years! Wife’s 2013 Lexus ES350 ( now showing 90,000 miles ) was Lexus certified and has never had a bolt turned on it except for tires, oil changes and air filters. My 2005 Chevy truck bought for $7,000 in 2014 with 162,000 miles has had a rear main seal replaced, $750.00, instrument cluster rebuilt, $200, evap cannister replaced, $400, hvac blend door solenoid replaced, $75 and a few other small incidentals. Now at 242,000 miles and would drive either anywhere anytime with no worries. Now, tell me how foolish my vehicle buying decisions have been for the last 30 years.

You in the SW Florida area. FWIW I have purchased a car from hertz.
they beauty of them is they probably still have a factory warranty.
have had some maintenance and probably had the crap ran out of them a few times..

Honestly, since 1995 I have only purchased one brand new vehicle and that was in 2016...
so anything I bought was used. some used alot
No, I’m in Kentucky. I would fly down and buy it, and have a little vacation while I’m there.

One downside of buying a Florida car is that Hertz says they charge “up to $899” in additional fees. It’s the most expensive of all the states Hertz sells cars in.

No, I’m in Kentucky. I would fly down and buy it, and have a little vacation while I’m there.

One downside of buying a Florida car is that Hertz says they charge “up to $899” in additional fees. It’s the most expensive of all the states Hertz sells cars in.

I'm surprised they dont have a sales outlet in your state. I bought my Nissan from the Bonita Springs Hertz outlet. Hertzs HQ is located in Bonita... they have alot of cars to choose from.

In 2020 I paid $26500 for a low mileage 2 year old Toyota Tacoma. New MSRP was $29,xxx with destination included. I saved roughly $3k buying used.

The car was excessively rusty for a 2 year old vehicle(why I brought it is another story). The AC condenser failed. The transmission line failed. The exhaust heat shields rusted away and rattled. The paint on the hood peeled.

For me to save $3k by buying used resulted in me accumulating $3k+ in repairs because the car was not maintained. I know this is an isolated incident but you get where I’m coming from. If I’m going to deal with used car wear & tear I need to get atleast $5k off new MSRP just to have that cushion for repair costs plus my time and effort.
While I would have thought new in your case, my question is what lack of maintenance has to do with the issues you had with your truck?

I'm surprised they dont have a sales outlet in your state. I bought my Nissan from the Bonita Springs Hertz outlet. Hertzs HQ is located in Bonita... they have alot of cars to choose from.
They have an outlet in Cincinnati but I don’t want one of their cars. Ideally I would select a car in a state that has both low fees and no road salt. I wouldn’t even consider a car from somewhere like Detroit or Minneapolis.

CA looks like a great option too. No salt and $85 fee cap. TX is the second best option.

How much do you need to save on a used car to make you choose it over a new one? Here's a specific example I would love to hear your comments on:

Hertz used car sales has a 2023 Camry LE with 13,772 miles for $21,840 plus assorted fees. A local dealer has a new 2024 Camry LE for $26,874, also plus assorted fees I'm sure. Taxes will add 6% on either. Since the Hertz was a rental car I'm guessing Toyota would void the warranty so all you get is a 12 month/12K Hertz warranty.

Is losing the warranty and getting a used car with almost 14K miles worth saving $5K? What would you do?

I bought used car from rental agencies before WITH FACTORY WARRANTY. Nobody would buy from a manufacturer if they can't sell the used car afterward. The only thing they must do is to make sure the cars are not damaged during the rental. It is the responsibility of the manufacturers to limit the amount of damage normal rental usage can cause outside of abuse (off roading, crashing, loading car with unintented cargos like rocks, etc).

Based on what I have done buying both new and used. It really depends on the price and what you want to buy. Sometimes you have to deal with a picky spouse and custom order something that you won't find in the used car market, sometimes you get a real good deal new or used and you have to drive 4 hours to get it. My biggest problem with used cars are you don't see good enough of a deal to justify buying used. If I am buying for a kid's first car a high mileage newish model car would be great, they may crash it and they may not drive much and they may want something newer eventually. If I'm buying a car to carry my family around I know I need a particular kind of car, I won't settle for a different kind (i.e. a Civic instead of a Sienna) even if it is the best deal.

5k saving for a 20-30k miles driven car over a new one is not really that great of a deal. I have no problem buying it for a better deal but not this. The equation may be different for other people with less money but for me I don't see the savings worth the extra wear and tear.

Last edited:
Back