How much would you need to save to buy used?

I generally don't find popular mainstream vehicles to be a good deal used at the 1-5 year old mark, but $5k is a decent discount off new. I'd still buy new.

I rent a lot, Hertz hands down has the worst fleet. I always get a filthy trashed car when I rent from them. Of the big 3, they are my last choice. I hate renting from them so much I couldn't imagine buying from them.

How much do you need to save on a used car to make you choose it over a new one? Here's a specific example I would love to hear your comments on:

Hertz used car sales has a 2023 Camry LE with 13,772 miles for $21,840 plus assorted fees. A local dealer has a new 2024 Camry LE for $26,874, also plus assorted fees I'm sure. Taxes will add 6% on either. Since the Hertz was a rental car I'm guessing Toyota would void the warranty so all you get is a 12 month/12K Hertz warranty.

Is losing the warranty and getting a used car with almost 14K miles worth saving $5K? What would you do?
The used car price is not terrible I guess, even if its on the factory fill oil, its still fine. If they have no record of the first oil change, offer much less and see if they bite?

So-of course your post begs the question-

WHY?
I know I hate going to the dealer. You have the fake "let me go check this price with the manager", followed by the backend guy doing all they can to tack on yet more money. I get it, one can say no and walk away. Doesn't change the fact that it's no fun.

I guess if one is in the habit of buying every other year, let alone every year, then maybe it's not so bad. I avoid as much as possible, and thus... it's never enjoyable.

Reactions: CKN
I know I hate going to the dealer. You have the fake "let me go check this price with the manager", followed by the backend guy doing all they can to tack on yet more money. I get it, one can say no and walk away. Doesn't change the fact that it's no fun.

I guess if one is in the habit of buying every other year, let alone every year, then maybe it's not so bad. I avoid as much as possible, and thus... it's never enjoyable.

Have the deal negotiated before you leave the house. You still have to deal with the F&I guy trying to sell you everything under the sun, but I have no problem saying no. The pushier they are, the firmer I get. I don't respond well to high pressure sales tactics.

Have the deal negotiated before you leave the house. You still have to deal with the F&I guy trying to sell you everything under the sun, but I have no problem saying no. The pushier they are, the firmer I get. I don't respond well to high pressure sales tactics.
Was going to do that last time, but wanted a test drive first. Fell into the deal—should have walked, but as I’ve said before, I’m lousy at this.

Am getting better with the F&I guy, getting pretty easy to say no. Don’t know why? but the initial negotiations are somehow different.

There are only about 6 dealers that I will purchase a vehicle from- 2 BMW, 2 Jeep, and 2 M-B.
A pox on the rest of them.

Most bang for the buck is at the three year mark. If something was wrong with the car most likely it was in the first year. Buying new is paying a lot of money for the chance to tell your friends it's new.

You can invest the difference said the smart shopper.
I bought my 2020 Acura TLX when it was 39 months in service, coming off a lease. The same 2023 model was $42,000. I paid $27,500. It had 28K miles and is Acura Certified for 6 years, 100K miles (7 years on the powertrain). Average OCI was 6,500 miles. It was a win win for me. With today's vehicle prices, I may never buy new again.

Last edited:
Going to ignore the rental part of the post.

That’s plenty of discount to make buying used worth it.

My Genesis is a $57k car that I bought at 5 years old and $27k. Was worth it for me.

I bought my last 2 vehicles for 25% and 20$ off MSRP- both were one owner cars just off 24 month leases, and both had a full service history.

80%.

I don't know how to check out a 3-year old car with 45k miles. I mean, I do, but there's enough of a profit motive there for someone to take a flooded, rolled-over, or otherwise wrecked, lemon law returned, beater and rehab it to look nice and fool me.

I got my wife a 5-year old Saturn s-series for $1950 with 88k miles. It needed a transmission, the one in it had no oil. I knew, the seller knew. Tranny was $100. Drove that car for nine years and sold it for $1400.

I like to know the story. A former Hertz car doesn't have a story, or it doesn't have one I can understand, so I remove myself from consideration.

$400 civic without catalysts, do you have the guy's number? LOL. But seriously I don't get cars that have been "modded" either.

The Toyota salesman thought it was a little weird that my previous Prius was a battery-rebuilding experiment when I came in for a brand new car. The depreciation curve on those cars is so flat I could pick any arbitrary point and do well. The only way to do better is to get an exceptionally used up one with 300+k miles.

I would only buy used for a classic, antique or collectible vehicle.
Daily driver, new only for me. Buy and keep.

$5k is ALOT of money and everyone throws it around like it's pocket change. It's $500/month for 12 months. That is a whole year of payments if you're taking out a loan. It's a free year(or more) of fuel.
Take the discount, buy used.

$5k is ALOT of money and everyone throws it around like it's pocket change. It's $500/month for 12 months. That is a whole year of payments if you're taking out a loan. It's a free year(or more) of fuel.
Take the discount, buy used.
Yes $5000 is a lot of money, but you need to look at the difference per month vs the large sum of cash.

Back