WOULD MEMBERS PLEASE...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...stop making comments in a thread that offer no value to the OP or even pertaining to the original question. Or comments filled with sarcasm.

Yes it's OK to get off track somewhat in a thread however this is not what I am referring to. We've all heard the comments, I don't need to be specific or give examples.

People come here as DIYers or are trying to be. Or are new/young to the DIYing and looking to learn. This is why we're all here...I can feel/hear the bashing already just for bringing it up.

Thanks all,

CB

I feel like most of these comments come from members that have been banned once before and are on a new account.
It ain't ever gonna stop on the internet.

Thank you Char Baby! I was just thinking the same thing before I read your post and wanted to post this as well. If a member has no pertinent information regarding the post (especially in a tech forum like the PCMO forum),then just simply move on.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Char Baby
...stop making comments in a thread that offer no value to the OP or even pertaining to the original question. Or comments filled with sarcasm.

Isn't that what mods are for?

Its a forum with volunteer moderators. Not paid people like Facebook to monitor things. People have different senses of humor. And different thickness of skin.

I say go with the flow. If someone is really out of line refer to a moderator.

Yup, this came up recently in a thread where the whole thing derailed on something that was in no way relevant to the OP's query.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Yup, this came up recently in a thread where the whole thing derailed on something that was in no way relevant to the OP's query.

Sounds like every single wax thread.

So you dictate how I can respond to a post? If I want to post a sarcastic response to a stupid question, I can do that. That is how I am fact to face as well.
If you feel it is out of line, report it. If you don't like my responses, then ignore me (you do have the ability to ignore members and not see their posts on this forum). I have many people ignored and it is great. I see that they posted, but not their comments. I just keep going.

The obvious trolls, just report them. They will be taken care of by mods. If you don't report them, then they will continue. Many of these troll posters are previous members banned and coming back with new names.

Also, who gets to determine what is of value? Just because you don't find value in it does not mean someone else may not. If some reply is totally off the wall, then ignore it. Many posts I start to read a reply and find they have no idea what they are saying, so I just skip the rest and move on. Just because it is on your screen does not mean you have to read it. Similarly, just because you read it does not mean it needs to have any affect on you.

And I am not bashing you, I am just replying and giving my opinion on the matter.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
5 witty snarky comments come instantly to mind but all I can add is good luck with that.

Yeah. You'll be blue in the face, and people will still make comments completely detached from the thread.

I've been pointing this out for as long as I've been posting on this forum. Guess what? No change.

What is that they say about opinions ? I can't say it here of course, because "potty mouth" talk isn't allowed at a forum frequented by, I'm completely confident, 99% of members that are adults, but....

Unfortunatly, often when someone asks "Is A or B better for me?" the answers inevitibly are "C" "D" and "E-F-G".

Most OP's ask a pointed question for a reason. I know I do, and I don't always write up a lenghty explanation why. Going off on tangents with the replies rarely help much. JMO

One person's tangent is another person's useful information. A lot of questions/comments are rather vague, or contain misinformation themselves. Therefore the tangents can be more useful than a direct reply to the OP, which is often unanswerable. Someone will ask something like, "I want to run a 20W-50 in my car that calls for 0W-20 in the manual. Which oil is best?" Well, a direct answer to the question is impossible. All we get is a bunch of opinions. Many of us would go off on a tangent and suggest the OP should use what the manual says and not some ridiculously heavy oil. Just one example of many tangents that might be of much more use to someone trying to learn something.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Most OP's ask a pointed question for a reason. I know I do, and I don't always write up a lenghty explanation why. Going off on tangents with the replies rarely help much. JMO

I did everything I could to avoid off-topic, unhelpful responses when I asked about if my current air compressor would work with a pneumatic brake bleeder. Answers from 'yes' to 'no', to 'don't get that bleeder', to 'just do a gravity bleed', and so on. It's like everyone ran out of their ADD medication. Focus people ! I ignored the stupid answers and then added a comment thanking those who answered on-topic and guess what ? The off-topic answerers tried to make a big deal about that response of mine !

Yes it's OK to get off track somewhat in a thread however this is not what I am referring to. We've all heard the comments, I don't need to be specific or give examples.

People come here as DIYers or are trying to be. Or are new/young to the DIYing and looking to learn. This is why we're all here...I can feel/hear the bashing already just for bringing it up.

Thanks all,

CB

I agree CB....I've never understood why some guys respond to a thread with useless, negative comments …..if they have nothing positive to add they should pass on replying, IMO….

If a person asks for help...give some...if he asks for opinions...give one...but snarky comments help nobody.....humorous comments are usually welcomed....

Someone just posted a thread asking "who makes the best filter?". Haha !! That will be a fun one !

What will be the outcome ? Will a determination of which filter is the best come out of it ? Absolutely not !!

Thanks all,

CB

Most here do accept off-the-cuff replies, often in jest - often containing humor.
I'm sorry that you prefer to live a life filled with only on-topic replies that wear a solemn face.
Lighten up - loosen up and relax. It's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back